+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help Needed - What to teach? in General; I have been approached by the IT teacher who would like me to talk to some Year 7's about what ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts

Help Needed - What to teach?

I have been approached by the IT teacher who would like me to talk to some Year 7's about what I do, the computer system etc - one lunchtime a week, every week.
    They are quite a savvy group, and I really don't know what sort of things to tell them or where to start!
    Any advice gratefully received as I would rather not sit here looking a complete idiot.

Thank Post
    Depends what you do?
    Are you a bit of everything person like most of us are, if so, give them a little bit of information on it all.
    Website / Server / Cabling / Clients / etc etc (obviously brief and not too complicated detail)
    Also explain how you go about talking to be people to find out what are the causes of problems with computers - Who, what, when, where, why and how. How you ask these questions of the teachers so that you can gain the most amount of information.
    You could kind of make it a bit detective'y and perhaps let them try with a crib sheet or something.

3. Thanks to apoth0r from:

witch (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe a bit about networking

I doubt many kids know about the kind of server- switch-PC hierarchy ?

Also maybe the guts of a computer and what it all does?

5. Thanks to Domino from:

witch (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Old kit to hand to show the insides of a hard drive for example, always facinates them

7. Thanks to apoth0r from:

witch (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    And when do you get your lunch hour?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    You could kind of make it a bit detective'y
    Ooh, now there's an idea - getting children to problem-solve properly with a CSI-like bunch of clues...

--
    David Hicks

10. Thanks to dhicks from:

witch (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys - I don't get a lunch hour. I work for 3.5 hours per day in two schools, so I just get the 15mins it takes me to drive from one to the other! I could stop for lunch but I would rather go home earlier.

I will dig out an old computer and show it to them I think - that's a great idea. Then I think I will explain the server/switch/PC bit and show them AD and Group Policy.
    I like the idea of explaining how I go about fixing problems and maybe later on they could have a go. One of them is particulary clever and I think I will train him up to be my deputy (empire-building - moi?)

Thank Post
    If you do have a spare PC then the building a machine up from the ground and installing basic software can take a few weeks. If you have a couple then it can also be done in groups with the pupils helping each other. I have had some old (very old) computers that hadn't been thrown away and together with an IT teacher we had the kids rip out and put back the insides. Obviously telling them to be carefull not to cut themselves on the case. They were really entusiastic and I didn't mind them being heavy handed as the equipment wasn't going to be used again anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You could also possibly take them through a few of the decision making type procedures. For instance the process of finding the exact need from the client, say a printer (how fast, cheap, quiet) then the basics of researching for one that will fit the needs and work with the system. After that you have setup and training.

They could each do a mock proquirement of a bit of hardware or software over several lunchtimes to experience it themselves.

If they were really advanced you could get them to look the process of finding new solutions themselves and justifying them to purchasers.

Thank Post
    Breakout some Open Source games, and use that to teach them about switches and ip networking, advantages fo dedicated servers etc..

Maybe you could have them build up a few pc's with the view to playing a multiplayer game at the end (should teach them about spec, etc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    @witch:

And will you be getting a payrise due to your teaching prowess?
    Me thinks not, I feel only too often this is a lazy teachers way of getting you to do something which she/he cannot do themselves.

I would point out that having only so much time between schools only gives you enough time to carry out your normal functions and that if the school requires you to do some teaching or entertain some students with your knowledge then they will have to book some extra time for you to deliver this resource as a consultant and that they will of course be required to pay consultants fees.

Now some of you will have me pegged as someone who is tight and not flexible but you would be far from the truth. If a teacher has to deliver something they are not familiar with they contact an outside agency who then deliver the resource which is then paid for in the correct manor through the right procedure, why are we not classed as the same.

16. Thanks to bossman from:

penfold (5th January 2010)

Thank Post
    @Bossman: They will problably get round this by saying that it is not teaching but informing the pupils what you do by giving them a talk once a week. I never even thought about the point you raised, and aggree that as witch is on limited number of hours, would this be a good use of your time? Or is this in addition to your current work?

Instead of my original suggestion, maybe you could go with the "how to troubleshoot" process instead. At least if you show some pupils how to check the basics, it may cut down on the the unneccesary jobs coming your way. Other than that I completely agree with Bossman, although only you will know how you are likely to be treated by the school and whether it is in your interest to take on teaching type duties.
    Last edited by penfold; 5th January 2010 at 12:33 PM.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Online Safety

Thank Post
    Hmmm - perhaps I need to clarify...
    I am indeed only part-time but generally speaking I do have time to do this sort of thing (unless there is an emergency or something major ). ATM I don't have a lot going on as most of my machines and printers seem to be running OK and although I need a new switch, we have NO money so I can't look into that! My system is new as of the summer and my new server, running 2008, seems quite happy. I'm sure that there is lots more I can do (and indeed do, when I feel inclined) but I don't have the software expertise of some of you lot (I'm a hardware test engineer by training and inclination) so I can't fiddle with bits of software. I don't do the website at this school either.
    Having said that, some days are utterly manic and work would always be a priority.
    It isn't as formal an arrangement as perhaps I implied - there is a boy in year 7 (so he is 12) who is very keen on computers and he has asked if he and a couple of mates can come and talk to me about what I do. He suffers quite a lot of teasing as he is a bit of a geek and as I get on very well with him, I would like to help him. He appears in my room every now and again to tell me about his home system, and a change of my hours means I will be here at lunchtime so he can spend some time with me and my computers.

mossj -what open source games would you suggest?
    penfold - I like this idea - the lad and his mates are certainly bright enough to learn basic troubleshooting - in fact I think he does a bit of it already, and he is the only person savvy enough to actually put an 'out of order' sign on a duff machine, and come and tell me about it!!
    Bossman: I do take your point but actually it is nice to be a bit involved with the school - when you are as part-time as I am. no one ever includes you in anything and you feel constantly left out of the life of the school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread