+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Bono in call for net monitoring in General; Wish someone would shut this moron up. BBC News - Bono net policing idea draws fire...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Bono in call for net monitoring

Wish someone would shut this moron up.

BBC News - Bono net policing idea draws fire

2. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (4th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow that's dumb. Factually incorrect in nearly everything he said too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Bono, frontman of rock band U2, has warned the film industry not to make the same mistakes with file-sharing that have dogged the music industry.
    Not quite sure what he's talking about. People do copy music and movies. Maybe instead of Knock of Nigel it should be Bog off Bono. By all means he's entitled to his own opinion but he's not really bringing anything constructive to the table.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, like we needed more reasons to dislike him?

Thank Post
    More of the BBC reporting from opinions from experts eh...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    It's about time the music and video industry brought itself into the 21st century and embraced the technology which is available instead of the industries fatcats claiming that they are losing money, well all i can say to that is get into the real world and stop over charging for CDs and DVDs in the first place.

8. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (4th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    It's about time the music and video industry brought itself into the 21st century and embraced the technology which is available instead of the industries fatcats claiming that they are losing money, well all i can say to that is get into the real world and stop over charging for CDs and DVDs in the first place.

I'd say. How HMV can justify selling back catalogue CD's for £16.99 is beyond me. I know they have store overheads but damn that's expensive for something that's been making money for a long time. It's no wonder people rip old CD's off especially when they own the music on LP or tape and then have to buy it on CD for that price if they want to MP3 it.

Thank Post
    Yep it's a stupid idea.

Bono is opinionated. It's one of the things that makes him good, as well as bad - and if you said that to his face he'd probably agree with you.

I'm not sure anymore how much I trust a rich rock star's plea to end poverty, so on and so forth, but there's something earnest in his music that I love. I'm happy to live and let live.

Personally I do respect copyright, if I don't like the price of something I just won't buy it... I'm fed up with hearing people sniveling and whining about how expensive music is like it's a basic human right to acquire CDs or something, if you want it enough you'll pay for it. It's not like you'll die if you don't have it.
    Last edited by Batman; 4th January 2010 at 01:16 PM.

Thank Post
    It's not like you'll die if you don't have it.
    Thud!!!

Thank Post
    Oh. No wait... He's not dead - just sleeping.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    Copyright in my opinion should only last a set number of years like in the drugs industry I think some copyright only lasts 10 years but with music and video it is indefinate and this is where it needs to be adjusted so that music and video becomes cheaper and more accessable to those people who cannot afford it who have the same rights to listen to the music as those who can afford it.

I am not saying it should be free but if the industries of these 2 media formats got it together and embraced direct downloads at reasonable prices and cut the greedy middlemen out e.g. the music and video companies, they would see a distinct upwards trend in their profits instead they go about the preservation of their old principles in such a way that forces people to illegally download.

Yes there are those that endeavour to make profit out of this and these are the people who should be targetted by the services who have the power to imprison them or fine them heavily and take away their ill gotten gains but too much emphasis is brought to bear on the little guy who just fancies watchin a film or listening to a certain piece of music which he knows is not legally gotten but in principle is breaking the law but either cannot afford to buy it at the prices the shops are selling it at.

Online stores have proved that they can and do sell music cheaply and still make a profit using the very technology which was once used illegally to dowload it.

I do not condone the illegal downloading of copyrighted material but feel something should be done to help those less well off than most.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bonehead is a stupid twassock. Irritating little rich pop start. Perhaps he could sell a few off his mansions and the half of Dublin he owns to end world poverty. Idiot.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And the music is pretty rubbish too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Simple example of how the industry as a whole is backwards.

Sky Player - brilliant concept, especially now that it integrates with Windows Media Centre, but the pricing? Ridiculous for what you get if you're *just* a Sky Player customer (ie. not a normal sky customer).

Over Xmas I tested this out for myself. £34 for the entertainment pack, and the 2 movies packs. This gave me access to a couple (about 6) of channels via the player, but whenever something good came on (a movie for example) it said 'this is not available to sky player customers'. If I wanted to play the latest episode of Stargate Universe, they wanted to charge me an extra £1.47 per episode!

And then on the movies. If I wanted to watch a movie that was more than a decade old, all was fine. If I wanted to watch one from 2005, it said I couldn't, as I wasn't a full sky subscriber. Ignoring the fact that I had paid for the movies packages.

It is this sort of ridiculous pricing that annoys me most. I'm willing to pay. If I had received full access to TV shows, and to the movies, I would be a continuing £34 a month customer. But as I don't get access to that, I'm paying them nothing. Instead, I'm continuing to be a BT Vision customer, paying for their limited selection of shows - but at least they're reasonably priced!

Thank Post
    the music / video industry has to take some if the blame for failing to give buyers what they wanted at a sensible price. It took ages for them to allow downloads which for me are the most convenient form if music that way if i want to play an lbum all i do is select it in media centre and clisk play i dont have to go and search through a rack of cds. They then crippled it with drm making it hard to play it where you wanted and relatively easy to have a file that if your windows install went kaput you couldnt play anymore. itunes drm was only compatible fith ipods (not sure if this is still the case) meaning if you wanted legitimate music you were almost forced into a proprietry system. Films are starting to go the same way though i got a free digital download code when i bought harry potter on blueray (and a dvd copy) but again its not hd and why would i want a non hd version when ive got hd on a disk and again its drm'd so in the end i diddtn download it

sky is a whole other issue. i used to have it years ago but gave it up when i realised i was paying £18 a month and in the last 2 months i had it i think i watched about 3 programmes that i coulnt of got on freeview. i also dont like paying twice for something and with sky you pay subscription and get adverts (and last i remember more than on normal tv) as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread