+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New Year Honours in General; I've been doing my job for the last 25 years - can I have a new years honour ?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

New Year Honours

I've been doing my job for the last 25 years - can I have a new years honour ?

rad
    Thank Post
    I am sure your boss will give you a special one, I'll speak to him when I next see him for you!!!

3. Thanks to rad from:

mattx (31st December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I am sure your boss will give you a special one, I'll speak to him when I next see him for you!!!
    Thanks - your a pal...

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Thanks - your a pal...
    Thanks not a joke either, he lives a few "doors" down from me!!!!

Thank Post
    *Honours*

There you go mate, hope it means something

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When I fart, I can get the note to change pitch three times. Do I get an OBE for that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    When I fart, I can get the note to change pitch three times. Do I get an OBE for that?
    No, but you're nearly an OBOE :-)

9. Thanks to SC-UK from:

tech_guy (1st January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    In what will almost certainly be a faux pas for the general forum, specifically "saying something on topic". there were a few people on the honours list from the IT field, including the MD of Microsoft Research:

• Dr Andrew James Herbert; Managing Director, Microsoft Research, Cambridge. For services to Computer Science.
    • Paul Stafford Jackson; For services to the Computer Games Industry.
    • Oliver Charles Collyer; Co Founder, Sports Interactive. For services to Computer Games Industry.
    • Paul Edward Collyer; Co Founder, Sports Interactive. For services to the Computer Games Industry.
    • Rodney Cousens; Chief Executive Officer, Codemasters. For services to the Computer Games Industry.

For those who don't peg the names, Sports Interactive are the company that produce the Championship Manager series. Codemasters should be familiar to anyone who grew up playing computer games in the 90s (Micro Machines for the NES!) and more recently for the Colin McRae rally series.

I don't know who Paul Stafford Jackson is, and my intarweb research has turned up a blank. Anyone know?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    In what will almost certainly be a faux pas for the general forum, specifically "saying something on topic". there were a few people on the honours list from the IT field, including the MD of Microsoft Research:

• Dr Andrew James Herbert; Managing Director, Microsoft Research, Cambridge. For services to Computer Science.
    • Paul Stafford Jackson; For services to the Computer Games Industry.
    • Oliver Charles Collyer; Co Founder, Sports Interactive. For services to Computer Games Industry.
    • Paul Edward Collyer; Co Founder, Sports Interactive. For services to the Computer Games Industry.
    • Rodney Cousens; Chief Executive Officer, Codemasters. For services to the Computer Games Industry.

For those who don't peg the names, Sports Interactive are the company that produce the Championship Manager series. Codemasters should be familiar to anyone who grew up playing computer games in the 90s (Micro Machines for the NES!) and more recently for the Colin McRae rally series.

I don't know who Paul Stafford Jackson is, and my intarweb research has turned up a blank. Anyone know?
    All for doing their jobs........?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post

Also honoured was Gillingham man Paul Jackson:

He will be awarded an OBE after working to promote the cultural side of gaming.

As founder of the BAFTA video games committee, Mr Jackson helped organise the first ever BAFTA awards for the industry in 2005. He says he wanted to show people that there is more to the sector than shoot ‘em up games for youngsters:

"It was just so wonderful to see the industry be recognised by luminaries of other industries like film and television.

"Video games are art, just as other forms like photography or filmmaking. All these things are art, whether they’re high or low brow."

Mr Jackson also led the video games trade association, ELSPA, for three years, working closely with government to organise age-rating...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah ... this honours system is pants ... I mean .. the fact that as well as some usualy idiots who get honours because they have been doing their job you have people who have been nominated by their peers and the people they provide services to ... and yet every year we only hear people moaning about the big names.

Hey ... lets scrap the rep and thanks system on EG too ... that must be outdated as you get people who post bits of art and tell people how to do things all mixed in with the good stuff about dead funny websites and videos!

Same moan ... every year ...

Still, free country ... speak your mind ... Happy to celebrate people like Bob Gibson, a prison officer for many, many years ... who has been a mentor to those joining the prison service, set a high standard for others to follow and *is just doing his job*.

Also happy to celebrate Ross Brawn for keeping a team going in Northants ... and aware that he will view this award as not just for him, but for all his team.

Hundreds of people can be celebrated ... and sometimes those at the top are the people that get the accolade because they are the folk whose name is at the top of the letterhead and because they make the toughest decisions.

But yes ... the system is still not perfect, the same way the rep system on forums might be viewed that it is for giving a thumbs up to someone for giving a right answer to a problem, but also reflects the fact that people are thankful for the amusing and sometimes though-provoking links / videos / pictures etc (I am not saying it is a bad thing ... just not what it was always designed for) ... you can't please everyone.

14. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

SimpleSi (3rd January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread