+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Avatar 3D - Anyone else seen it? in General; As a film, to be honest, it's fairly generic sci-fi pulp..... BUT ..... as a technical glimpse into the future ...
    Thank Post

Avatar 3D - Anyone else seen it?

As a film, to be honest, it's fairly generic sci-fi pulp.....

BUT

..... as a technical glimpse into the future in 3d it's amazing and definitlely a preview of things to come. Sure some of the scenes give you chronic eye-strain and there's noticeable unnatural blurring between the 'layers' of 3d in some shots but when it works it's utterly amazing and unlike anything else you've seem before IMO. I think this is the main problem as you can definitely pick out parts of the picture where they've decided that this is on layer 1, this in in layer 2,etc and between these layers there seems to be a kind of weird blurring that spoils things when it rears it's head IMO.

Seriously though, when it works which is only about a quarter of the time (maybe less), it's impressive to the point you can fully believe it might change the way everything else is done from now on!

Anyone else been to see it?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 29th December 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Not seen avatar yet but have seen ice age 3 and g force ( with the guinea pigs etc ) both in 3D although I would also like to see Alvin and the chipmunks 2 - the squeakwill ) as well as avatar of course - they are bringing out iron man 2 and robin hood, old dogs and a few other ones oh and that reminds me still want to see ninja assassin

Thank Post
    Saw it Boxing day at Cinema De Lux in Bristol.

What an amazing concept, the 3D and CGI were absolutely outstanding, I really enjoyed the movie, did even notice its almost three hours long by the time we left.

For once a movie where I didn't check the time, and I was engrossed throughout the whole thing. I think the SCI-FI aspect was good as well, at least it was believable in some ways.

Defiantly the best movie I've watched this year, on par with Inglorious Ba****ds.

Thank Post
    It was entertaining, but (once again) Cameron promised more than he (or anyone else) could ever hope to deliver. I enjoyed it, and "intellectually" appreciated the technical advances but remain unmoved by the movie. Next time Cameron should try a little less hype.

Oh - and I still can't see how 3D or mocap will "change everything". Whilst I can think of a few of my favourite films that might be improved with better FX, I really can't think of one that 3D would improve.

Thank Post
    I'm planning to go and see it in 2D with the gf, as she can struggle with 3D, but wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D. Is the film no good then?

Thank Post
    It's good, however everyone has their own opinions on the matter

Thank Post
    worth seeing then? i must admit both me and the gf thought st trinians 2 was s**t.

Thank Post
    Worth seeing it, I can't see how someone would regret watching it. Was an utter pleasure, and something new and exciting to get engrossed into.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    I'm planning to go and see it in 2D with the gf, as she can struggle with 3D, but wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D. Is the film no good then?
    I'm probably being a bit harsh. It's not a bad film as such but it just feels a bit too cliched. None of the performances from the lead characters stand out as being particularly good (apart from the colonel who's quite entertaining!) and the script is a bit 'meh'.

It's literally like you took the general plot-line from dances with wolves, throw in a few props and references from the matrix and aliens, mix in a few greenpeace sensibilities with some pseudo-religion, let it simmer for a couple of ours and hey presto.. Avatar.

That's my opinion anyway. Yours may vary so by all means go and see it

I'd definitely make a point of watching it in 3D if you can though.

Thank Post
    Had tickets to see it in 3D on the IMAX - then couldn't go - dagnabbit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Had tickets to see it in 3D on the IMAX
    Confused about this bit: Wimbledon Odeon have Avatar on in 2D, 3D and "IMAX 3D". Anyone know what IMAX 3D is? Does that mean it's in 3D on an IMAX screen? What, exactly, is an IMAX screen - just a wide-aspect ratio (and curved?) cinema screen? I think when Up was on in 3D it cost £11 a ticket to go and see, which is starting to get a bit silly - it's getting to the point where you have to do product research before going and seeing a movie.

Also, anyone know how being colour blind affects 3D? My sister has managed to be the one in 10,000 women who is colour blind (as opposed to about 1-in-20 for men, I think), is Avatar still watchable if you're colour blind?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I was going to see it 2D but only a 3D showing was available. I found the 3D effect to be impressive in some scenes and almost absent in others, it never totally works as when something floats across in the foreground or background and you look directly at it, it doesn't come into focus so it breaks the illusion. Slow moving objects seem to move smoothly, but I found that something moving quickly would seem to stutter across the screen a little. I don't think the 3D added anything to the film (which to it's credit didn't seem to have any scenes that were purely there to wow the crowds with 3D technology), but it is basically just a hi-tech Pocahontas which dragged a little for the 3 hour running time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Also, anyone know how being colour blind affects 3D? My sister has managed to be the one in 10,000 women who is colour blind (as opposed to about 1-in-20 for men, I think), is Avatar still watchable if you're colour blind?
    Largly depends on the type of 3D effect used.
    If it's a blue red like the comics used to be then colourblind will affect i believe,
    if it's 2 polarised images with polarised glasses then having one eye differ to the other will affect, but not too badly,
    if it's the new shutter type of 3D (which i doubt), then having one eye that differs will affect it badly.

Most now use the polarised i beilieve where 2 images are projected on different planes, one vertically polarised the other horisontally polarised, with glasses that allow one plane to each eye. Hence you see two seperate images creating a 3D image. Being colour blind with identical eyes shouldn't affect this. My GF is -17 in one eye i think (so practically blind in it), and she just wore the glasses and saw it in 2D.

Thank Post
    Whilst the story is just an updated version of how "civilised" society takes what it wants from the indigenous populations of a country or planet in this case I thought it was a brilliant presentation both technically and morally.
    The ending obviously giving Mr Cameron plenty of opportunity to make a number of sequels and animated series for the machine!
    I saw it first from a rather medocre torrent, but it compelled me to go straight out to the local VUE well worth the trip.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Just got back from the flicks after watching this in 3D and thought it was a pile of crap. I was more entertained before the film as the manager kicked out some kids for trying to sit in the more expensive seats.
    Some of the 3D bits were ok, some were just terrible, out of focus and badly done, the 3D action parts were a complete waste of time as you could not see what the hell was going on. Too many effects just took me out of the film but at least I got to keep the 3D glasses. Last time I saw a 3D film before this [ and most probably before a lot of you were even born ] was Friday 13th Part 3 In 3D - this was much better in my opinion as it was so stupid it was funny. Oh and one stage I thought I was in the middle of a Command & Conquer / Red Alert Came. Call me an old fart but for me 3D films just don't do it. Give me something like Clerks, Gandhi, The Godfather, Kes, La Dolce Vita etc and I'm happy.
    Last edited by mattx; 7th January 2010 at 12:41 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast