+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Disconnected Phone Line in General; Well, we currently have BT Vision (at parents house) and I love it, but it's not cheap when you tot ...

Thank Post
    Well, we currently have BT Vision (at parents house) and I love it, but it's not cheap when you tot everything up.

Then I found Tiscali had a similar sort of service, and they could also offer Sky Sports - a major plus. But I've heard nothing but bad things about their service which is very off-putting.

Then there's the Sky option, and they charge a mint but I do really fancy HD Sports - especially after a colleague showed me it a week ago and it looked amazing!

Still trying to get the missus to think about Sky. BTW, we're non-cable area.

Thank Post
    Hightower,

I'd avoid Tiscali like the plague.

Have you checked whether you will be moving to an LLU area? (If so, the broadband part of the Sky deal will only cost you a fiver/tenner)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Virgin Media all the way , yes they have issues like most isp's but the speed is true and not constantly throttled, I was with BT for 6 months and had nothing but trouble including them throttling legal torrent downloads, there enginner said its ilegal to download torrents to which I replied how do you know that the torrent I am downloading is actually illegal

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Get an a proper ISP be ulimited or o2 it so good. A&a are good as well if you want some line bonding.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Have you checked whether you will be moving to an LLU area? (If so, the broadband part of the Sky deal will only cost you a fiver/tenner)
    A quick check shows that the area is LLU enabled - whatever that all means

Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Virgin Media all the way , yes they have issues like most isp's but the speed is true and not constantly throttled, I was with BT for 6 months and had nothing but trouble including them throttling legal torrent downloads, there enginner said its ilegal to download torrents to which I replied how do you know that the torrent I am downloading is actually illegal
    We're with BT now (at parents) and it's the best broadband I've ever had, and we've tried plenty of companies! We're getting 5 1/2 meg when neighbors are only getting 3 meg. Never had a spot of bother with BT since we took them on 3 years ago, and now we get the TV from them as well and it's pretty impressive the way it all works.

As for Virgin, as I said we're not in a cable area and want to take on a bundle that includes all three. We don't want phone/bband with one company and TV with another. We want it all on the same bill for ease.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Get an a proper ISP be ulimited or o2 it so good. A&a are good as well if you want some line bonding.
    As I said to Simon, we don't want three different bills. We want one good package that covers us for everything.

6. Thanks to Hightower from:

CPLTD (28th December 2009)

Thank Post
    I won't bore you with the details but effectively LLU allows the provider (ie, Sky) to not have to pay BT for the 'last mile' to your house (so they don't pay what used to be 10.50 to BT a month, not sure these days.... been a while since I did adsl stuff) plus with them having their own equipment in the local exchange allows them to offer ADSL2+ connections instead of the 'normal' upto 8mbit adslmax packages effectively resold from BT. - So this works out cheaper per month for the provider so they can pass this onto you, it's how people like Tiscali offer broadband cheaper than 2 pints of stella and a bag of crisps.

It's not available everywhere as it's not cheap to unbundle an exchange per provider and unless you know you're going to make the pennies back why bother!

In the case of you wanting everything together, I'd recommend Sky to you (and agree with Ric_) as you should be able to get a good bundle taking into account the LLU (so upto 24mbit potentially). I've not seen many get above 15mbit but it's all dependent on the line quality etc.

I'd suggest you nip over to skyuser.co.uk and have a look through their forums/offerings to see if there's any good deals to be had, or check in with Ric_ here as an existing customer.

Thank Post
    www.samknows.com have a list of which LLU providers are in which exchanges.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    LLU fact sheet LLU Factsheet

Thank Post
    Thought BT were waving the 125 reconnection now?

When I moved in we didn't have a cable so I actually got to see where my 125 went, the guy had to sling a cable from the telephone pole to my house and connect everything up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Possibly because people like me said -

"So, I've got a BT socket, and a wire to your pole, I'm going to make calls that you will charge me for, and you still want 125+VAT to reconnect my house?"

BT - "Yes"

Me - NTL will dig up the pavement and install cable for free, and you are still going to charge me for flipping a switch in the exchange?"

BT - "Yes"

Me - "Probably without getting out of your chair..."

BT - "Yes"

Me - "You're not getting this are you? A bit like my business..."

She really couldn't see where I was coming from. NTL/Virgin have had no significant problems in 5 years or so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post

When I moved in we didn't have a cable so I actually got to see where my 125 went, the guy had to sling a cable from the telephone pole to my house and connect everything up.
    i think it may now be less than 125 if there's no existing line going into the property. That's what my brother in-law was quoted from what i recall. The quote he got was inclusive of vat also. So all in all not terrible when you consider he has nothing going into the property, also the phone company he was going to go with had better customer service [in his view] than the alternative provider he was looking at, cheaper monthly line rental, free evening and weekend calls, and free calls to other friends and family using the same provider. Plus no contract tie-in as far as i'm aware......ok so no-ones going to throw in a tv package or lower the connection cost on acceptance of adding a tv package. But then again the basic pay cable tv packages aren't much to write home. been there, done that.

I think that connection/install charge will pay itself back within a year compared to the alternative, plus he gets to deal with a decent provider. And he doesn't have to sign up to some direct debit, pay every month nonsense. A quarterly bill statement, with various options to pay the bill, as some people prefer.

Plus the connection charge is not down to the provider he's dealing with, that's a BT charge that his provider doesn't make any money off of. I think it sounds excessive when it's just flicking a switch in the exchange but it's not unreasonable sum when there's no line going into the property.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I had a friend go through this recently... it transpired that BT were the most expensive at re-activating/installing a line and that Sky or Virgin would happily pay the majority of the installation fee (obviously BT still did the job).
    presumably they'd make up their costs elsewhere. What did the rest of the deals from Sky and Virgin look like, line rental contract tie-in period ?
    Last edited by torledo; 28th December 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Well I spoke to a Sky sales advisor and he said it would cost 39 to reactivate the phone line. Pretty happy with that - just gotta persuade the missus to get Sky HD in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Well I spoke to a Sky sales advisor and he said it would cost 39 to reactivate the phone line. Pretty happy with that - just gotta persuade the missus to get Sky HD in.
    ZeroHour will tell you Sky HD is amazing... personally, I think it's a rip off - a more expensive box plus an extra 10 a month just for the priviledge of receiving the channels you would normally get but in HD?

PM me if you want referring to get yourself a free Sky+/Sky+HD box though. I think that I get some rubbish M&S vouchers out of the deal

Thank Post
    Oh yeah... coincidentally, my connection speed has suddenly risen to 1.2Mbps since my rant above!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast