+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Student Loans in General; I was just wondering... since people who go to Uni and then end up teaching can get their student loans ...
    Thank Post

Student Loans

I was just wondering... since people who go to Uni and then end up teaching can get their student loans written off... but yet we some of us have been to Uni also... end up getting paid less than al but the youngest teachers and well I am paying the Students Loans company on my PaySlip...
    Isn’t this something we should be writing to our MPs about or at least doing something... it seems almost double standards...

Thank Post

Re: Student Loans

Simple market economics. Edugeeks are two a penny whereas convincing a gradutae to forego a lucrative corporate career in favour of teaching requires a few sweetners.

Yeah, that's a bit harsh but that's how our political masters are probably thinking.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

There has been a shortage of teachers ... so they give sweeteners ... there is no shortage of support staff, and even if there was it would be another pointer that schools need to move to a managed service.

Once HLTAs start getting sweeteners then we stand a chance of getting some of them too ... and it is the TDA that we need to harrass to ensure that Training Schools recognise the input from technical staff (they are starting to but more pressure needs to be put on them).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Pah, student loans who need them

Thank Post

I need a student loan!!

Mostly because I'm a student. But yes, I think it would be a good idea for insentives like that to be in place. But as GrumbleDook said, there's a shortage of teaching staff but not of support staff.

There are certainly some advantages to being a teacher. But it's things like that, that are making me want to go into industry not back into education once my degree is over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts

There is actually a shortage of support staff down here - every time I attend an interview there is usually only me and one other who actually do the support function - others (usually at least 2) come from elswhere in the industry - unconnected to tech support.
    And before you ask - it was 3 interviews - didn't get one, got offered one and turned it down - didn't want one and bowed out before end of interview!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    There is actually a shortage of support staff down here
    And in my experience, at this end of 'down here', a surplus of teachers. I finished what was basically a teaching degree in July* and a great many of my teaching compatriots from that course as still looking for teaching positions.

I was also strongly encouraged by tutors not to follow my desires to move into educational support.

*no, I'm not a teacher myself - I jumped out of that into Edugeeking during the second teaching placement

Bounced Users
    Thank Post

My wise old father was a Vietnam era Marine. And I, myself, went into the Army Reserve because my family couldn’t afford college. And that G.I. Bill plus student loan repayment program at www.loansuggest.com was an attractive (only) means to help me finish my higher education. Of course, back then Army Reserve meant just what it sounded like… a reserve pool of soldiers who were pressed into active duty only as a last resort. Now the terms National Guard and Army Reserve seem misleading. I would never volunteer today knowing what I know now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by k-strider
    since people who go to Uni and then end up teaching can get their student loans written off... but yet we some of us have been to Uni also...
    Just to add a point to this, its only a certain few subjects in Secondary that teachers get the chance to have their loans written off and maybe a few who have the chance to teach a single subject in Primary schools so its not just all teachers who get a loan, get a job, have loan written off. I know because I'm one of them and know many Primary teachers who are still trying to pay their loan off.

Before anyone say's Oh no! It's a teacher! I'm only a teacher for 50% of the week and I'm an ICT technician for the other 50%, and I am still paying my massive loan off.

Thank Post

In my authority they give all teachers moving here from another autority £2000 cash to help with moving, 6 months rent or mortgage paid and a free Dell D620 laptop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread