+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 - Schumacher back. in General; I have been reading some of the comments etc on various web sites regarding schumacher's return - and this one ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

F1 - Schumacher back.

I have been reading some of the comments etc on various web sites regarding schumacher's return - and this one really sums it [ and him ] up for me:

You can never put to one side the cheating and downright unsportsmanlike behaviour of schumacher. The list of infractions is a very long one and for any true sports fan tempers any awe at his skill when he wasnt putting it to cheating ways....Most people will remember him punting Damon off and trying to punt Villneuve off a couple of years later. Or the ride height plank or even the launch control software hidden.

But for me the purest example of his wish to win at any cost was when he turned up for the preseason weigh-in with his testing helmet so adding 5 kilo's or so to his car/man weight which would have been an advantage. Fortunately he was ordered to reweigh himself with his racing helmet.

Will mercedes want to be associated with such cheating if he starts "pushing the envelope" or will he this time behave with integrity which is a hallmark of the Mercedes brand?

I hope he doesnt generate controversy, but a leopard doesnt change its spots too easily and I wont hold my breath waiting for schmacher to play it straight.

He is one of the reasons I actually stopped watching it for 2 years........
    I'd wet myself if he stalled on the starting grid......
    Last edited by mattx; 23rd December 2009 at 08:28 PM.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I won't be following F1 now - it'll just become a boring procession again with old shunt & punt schumy on the podium all the ruddy time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Well, I won't be following F1 now - it'll just become a boring procession again with old shunt & punt schumy on the podium all the ruddy time.
    Go on, stick it out for the first half of the season - will be great if he struggles. We can then all laugh....
    On a different subject a good film to watch over Xmas - Harry Brown [ on at the flicks ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll wholeheartedly agree with the above - I'm a fan of the skill he clearly has, but can't just forget what he did in his years in F1.

It's always worth noting that Schumacher and Brawn is without doubt one of the most lethal combinations F1 has ever seen - the genius and intellect between them is plain for anyone to see. However, will that generate race wins next season?

The guy is 41. He'll not have lost the spark like Raikkonen did, he's not that weak minded. But he will be a bit slower on the mind. He may still be one of the fittest guys on the grid - at his peak he was medically fitter and stronger than most Olympic athletes. But he's up against some HUGE talent.

Hamilton in the rejuvenated McLaren. And a few races in, maybe even Button.
    Vettel in the charging Bull.
    His own team-mate Rosberg if the Mercedes is indeed up to scratch.
    Massa and Alonso in the Ferrari.
    Perhaps Kubica in the "Renault"

There's a hell of a lot of young and very talented blood driving cars that may well be better than the Mercedes. I don't personally think Schumacher has a hope in hells chance even in the same car against either of the last 2 world champions let alone half of the grid all chomping at the bit. But I wouldn't be surprised to find them pulling in a couple of race wins. Don't forget, there's no refuelling - so short of weather influence, there'll be no fuelling strategies for Brawn to mastermind.

Personally, I'm looking forward to next season a hell of a lot. I've loved the last couple and really want to see a lot of challengers for the championship.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to listen to paint drying rather than watching F1 next year. It'll be more exciting.

I used to go to Silverstone every year but I now spend the money on other things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I'm going to listen to paint drying rather than watching F1 next year. It'll be more exciting.

I used to go to Silverstone every year but I now spend the money on other things.
    Your assuming that Schumacher and Mercedes is going to be more competitive than Alsono-Massa at Ferrari, Hamilton-Button at Mclaren, and Vettel-Webber at Red Bull. That's a big assumption when your talking about a driver who is 41 years old and who's been retired for over two years. He's first got to outperform his own teammate in rosberg, and that's not a given.

This signing gives a boost to the mercedes team and to F1 from a marketing point of view. I don't hold the view that it will turn into a procession.....for one thing, Alonso was able to beat schumacher to the title twice despite being in an arguably inferior car when schumacher was at his peak. Next year alonso will have the might of ferrari behind him, and hamilton over at mclaren is probably a better driver at present than the pair of them.

We just have to hope we don't see a regulation change or obvious competitive advantage which might see one team run away with things for the first few races. If i were you, i'd atleast start watching when the european leg of the season comes around, races at the european circuits have always been the most interesting part of the calendar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only difficult thing for Ferrari now is the knowledge they will *never* see those sort of days again. Without Brawn, they're just another marque. It's hard to emphasise just how important people like Jean Todt and Ross Brawn were to Ferrari. They will be getting some technical expertise back with Alonso contracted to them, however I forsee that once again, Alonso's ego will get in the way of his raw talent.

Only one way to find out...

Thank Post
    I can't wait for the new season to start.

I'm tipping Vettel for the F1 crown this year. The return of Scumbacker should make it even more exciting as Alonso, Button, Hamilton and Vettel will wish to show the old man how things are done these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'm not a huge F1 fan, however I think Hamilton will certainly be one to watch after an average season. My money's on him

Thank Post
    I think that Ross Brawn made some huge tactical errors last season, in particular, he compromised qualifing on a number of occasions. I don't think he's as in-tune with his drivers as people think. Jean Todt was cleverer if you ask me.

And what with Jense and Lewis at McLaren and Shuey and Rosberg at Mercedes, it's England v Germany all over again!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post
    I think that Ross Brawn made some huge tactical errors last season, in particular, he compromised qualifing on a number of occasions. I don't think he's as in-tune with his drivers as people think. Jean Todt was cleverer if you ask me.

And what with Jense and Lewis at McLaren and Shuey and Rosberg at Mercedes, it's England v Germany all over again!
    Jean Todt must have something going for him. He dates Bond girl Michelle Yeoh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight View Post

'cept 'England' have a german engine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Jean Todt must have something going for him. He dates Bond girl Michelle Yeoh.
    Yes, about $100 million in the bank....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    'cept 'England' have a german engine.
    Well, sort of. A german engine designed and built in England

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The return of Schummacher will be either a great success or like when mansell returned where from first race we all knew
    it would not work.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 24th December 2009 at 04:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast