+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
General Chat Thread, Which Car to get ? in General; ...
  1. #1

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365

    Which Car to get ?

    Going to get a new car in a weeks time or so before I have to go back to work and just wanted peoples thoughts / suggestions on which ones are good ones.

    Basic requirements are as follows

    Around the £1000 mark
    Engine no bigger then 1.4 ( was looking at a 1.3 toyota corolla ) but have been suggested a vw polo
    Hopefully cheap and reliable both on engine parts as well as cheap on insurance and tax

    I was also looking at diesels but not sure how they would effect my insurance so am guessing I would not want to go above a 1.8 diesel or something along those lines but again which car to go with.

  2. #2

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,056
    Thank Post
    1,400
    Thanked 648 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    260
    what are you doing with yours then bud ?

  3. #3

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    what are you doing with yours then bud ?
    Lets just say selling as spares and repairs - as read edutechs post and basically lost control of me car on the way back from home the friday before last and would cost more to repair then buying a new car - the engine is totally sound in it but all down the passengers side is forked, wind screen smashed, roof has been tilted to one side as bent the front bar holding it up on the passengers side, smashed passenger windows and doors, and the lights at the front and back on the passengers side.

    Was thinking about maybe getting some equivelant doors etc but then still have the problem of the roof and also re spray would cost a lot.

  4. #4

    CPLTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,056
    Thank Post
    1,400
    Thanked 648 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Lets just say selling as spares and repairs - as read edutechs post and basically lost control of me car on the way back from home the friday before last and would cost more to repair then buying a new car - the engine is totally sound in it but all down the passengers side is forked, wind screen smashed, roof has been tilted to one side as bent the front bar holding it up on the passengers side, smashed passenger windows and doors, and the lights at the front and back on the passengers side.

    Was thinking about maybe getting some equivelant doors etc but then still have the problem of the roof and also re spray would cost a lot.
    ooh not good fella hope your ok , any pics ?

  5. #5

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,963
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 374 Times in 284 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Was thinking about maybe getting some equivelant doors etc but then still have the problem of the roof and also re spray would cost a lot.
    Forget it. If you've bent the metalwork around the screen, you'll never get the glass to seal. As to the replacement, it really depends on what is available. At £1000 nothing is likely to be wholly reliable; maybe look to Japan (Swindon) and Honda?

  6. #6
    mossj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,466
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 189 Times in 174 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Ford fiesta zetec 1.25, you should get a decent model for £1000.

    Reliable, quick (for a 1.25), and every garage i've been to they seem to jump on the chance to work on it (something about yamaha engines).

    Had mine 2 years (S reg) and did a hour round trip to work everyday and it's only had one problem (exhaust rusted through).
    Last edited by mossj; 19th December 2009 at 11:53 AM.

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 434 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Ford fiesta zetec 1.25, you should get a decent model for £1000.
    These are faily highly regarded, make sure you look at the 1.25 and the 1.4 petrol which are the two best engines by miles. There is also a 1.3 which is ancient (it was only kept on because it's only engine that fitted up the KA's bonnet) and a 1.8 diesel which even older.

    If you want to go diesel (and unless you want to do a lot of miles I wouldn't bother), probably the best option would be a Citroen Xsara (it's a dullified version of the Pug 306). There are two main diesel engines to choose from the 1.9 (either Turboed or non turboed) which is fairly old fashioned but consider the be one of the best diesel engines of it's generation. There is also on later Xsaras the HDi, which is pretty similar to their current deisel engines. It's much nicer to drive then the 1.9 but also more complicated and something I'd avoid in a £1000 car.

    I personaly wouldn't buy a Polo, there's nothing wrong with them, but because they're made by VW you pay a premium and end up with an older car.

  8. #8

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    ooh not good fella hope your ok , any pics ?
    Am fine thanks - will post pics up later on but its written off - what are peoples thoughts on nissan, toyota and possibly mazda ?

    Im not keen on a polo myself but it was a suggestion that was made , other then the above mentioned ones I was thinking a vauxhall corsa , not keen on ford ka and the like as I like my space and have sat in a ford ka and they are tiny and I feel too cramped

  9. #9
    mossj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,466
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 189 Times in 174 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    not keen on ford ka and the like as I like my space and have sat in a ford ka and they are tiny and I feel too cramped
    I'm 6"1 and find the ford fiesta fine, in terms of space i've moved twice with it and was able to get all my kit in it.

  10. #10
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Forget it. If you've bent the metalwork around the screen, you'll never get the glass to seal. As to the replacement, it really depends on what is available. At £1000 nothing is likely to be wholly reliable; maybe look to Japan (Swindon) and Honda?
    i think it's rare to find a car for several thousand pounds which is 'wholly reliable'. Not without a warranty anyway.

    i have however found cars at a few hundred quid which have been very reliable and required very little maintenance. Also, at the low end of the price spectrum the lack of central locking, electric windows and other electrical gubbins can sometimes be a bit of a blessing as far as narrowing down what could go wrong.

    If it's more than 10 years old i think it has to be something japanese.

  11. #11

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i think it's rare to find a car for several thousand pounds which is 'wholly reliable'. Not without a warranty anyway.

    i have however found cars at a few hundred quid which have been very reliable and required very little maintenance. Also, at the low end of the price spectrum the lack of central locking, electric windows and other electrical gubbins can sometimes be a bit of a blessing as far as narrowing down what could go wrong.

    If it's more than 10 years old i think it has to be something japanese.
    Any chance of a list of japense cars ie honda, nissan, mazda, toyota ....... ????

    The car I did have was a honda civic 1.4 - dont want my engine size to go above 1.4 - at least for petrol engines due to insurance, tax etc

  12. #12

    Andrew_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,963
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 374 Times in 284 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    I've down-sized to a Honda Jazz as my daughter is now of driving age, and I couldn't afford the £2100 to add her to my Saab insurance. 46000 miles, (12 are mine) and I've spent nothing on it this year bar £130 inc for service and MOT, and a set of tyres (Mitchelins are so much quieter than the standard ones!). It would have been out of your price range, but with the scrappage scheme and recession, I'd guess there might be some cheaper, older ones around. HUGELY practical, if a bit unexciting. Who really needs excitement on snowy roads?!

  13. #13

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,062
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 920 Times in 723 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    272
    Sorry to hear about your car mac Hope your okay mate..

    I have felt lost without my car the past few days... it's silly but even though i aint been driving long without it i feel so down

    I am "probably" going to sign the paperwork today/tomrrow but i have just got me a new Vauxhaul Corsa 1.4 SXI 2009 Plate

    James

  14. Thanks to EduTech from:

    mac_shinobi (19th December 2009)

  15. #14
    torledo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,928
    Thank Post
    168
    Thanked 155 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Any chance of a list of japense cars ie honda, nissan, mazda, toyota ....... ????

    The car I did have was a honda civic 1.4 - dont want my engine size to go above 1.4 - at least for petrol engines due to insurance, tax etc
    there's quite a few, but off the top of my head mazda 323, the 1.3 petrol might be on the edge of your budget. And it looks to be a bit bigger than the likes the fiesta. I think the fiesta is also a good recommendation.

  16. Thanks to torledo from:

    mac_shinobi (19th December 2009)

  17. #15

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,763
    Thank Post
    3,273
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Sorry to hear about your car mac Hope your okay mate..

    I have felt lost without my car the past few days... it's silly but even though i aint been driving long without it i feel so down

    I am "probably" going to sign the paperwork today/tomrrow but i have just got me a new Vauxhaul Corsa 1.4 SXI 2009 Plate

    James
    yeah am ok thanks - That's how I feel right now - have to wait a week tuesday before we can go out hunting but just looking on auto trader and wanted to get an idea of the sorts of cars that would be good to look at.

    If you dont mind me asking where did you get the 2009 plate corsa and roughly how much was that ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My First Car
    By mac_shinobi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 4th July 2009, 07:15 PM
  2. [Video] Best car ad ever
    By laserblazer in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th February 2009, 08:15 PM
  3. Car Trouble - HELP!
    By Hightower in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 7th January 2009, 01:32 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •