+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Which Car to get ? in General; Originally Posted by mac_shinobi yeah am ok thanks - That's how I feel right now - have to wait a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    yeah am ok thanks - That's how I feel right now - have to wait a week tuesday before we can go out hunting but just looking on auto trader and wanted to get an idea of the sorts of cars that would be good to look at.

If you dont mind me asking where did you get the 2009 plate corsa and roughly how much was that ?
    Well quite funny actually

Before i even sat down i managed to get a flat rate of 5.5% as to the 7.5% they had listed I also got 12 months Tax, and Knocked down from 8,995 to 7,995. Monthly payments i managed to get for 145 per month because i said i would walk if they were what he said at first at 165 as my budget per month was 150.

oh oh and dont forget the Matt's i also got some free matt's out of him

Now i know what everyone has said is true and that i would loose money the minute it comes out of the show room.. but at least it's a Vauxhall and they do hold there price.

I be honest and say i would of prefered not to have a new car on finance, but i just have not got any money at the moment to go and pick up a car of AutoTrader.. that then might need work doing to it.. at least with this i know i wont have to spend any money on it for a good while with the warrenty which is just comfort more than anything, plus it's a nice car not too big and flashy but perfect for someone like me.. has a bit of a sporty look aswell.. with suspension, alloys, tinted windows,lights etc so happy really

James
    Last edited by EduTech; 19th December 2009 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    any more info on the mazda or why you recommend a 323 ?

I should be able to afford it and will also at some point today post back pics of my mashed up on one side car ( including wind screen and wipers )

Thank Post
    Be sure to check insurance quotes before you buy anything, and dont get too hung up on engine size with regard to insurance - When I was only just 19 I went from a 1.3 Accent to a 2.0 litre hyundai coupe and my insurance dropped by over 300 a year! Then 2 years later got a 1.8 diesel mondeo and the insurance almost doubled! I think it's pretty much based on whatever boy racers are smashing up that year rather than engine size or insurance group!

Steve
    Steve

4. Thanks to steveg from:

mac_shinobi (20th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    Be sure to check insurance quotes before you buy anything, and dont get too hung up on engine size with regard to insurance - When I was only just 19 I went from a 1.3 Accent to a 2.0 litre hyundai coupe and my insurance dropped by over 300 a year! Then 2 years later got a 1.8 diesel mondeo and the insurance almost doubled! I think it's pretty much based on whatever boy racers are smashing up that year rather than engine size or insurance group!

Steve
    Steve
    That's what we have been doing - getting the reg plate and contacting the insurance company I am with and getting a quote on insurance costs before going ahead and buying the car

images attached - got one pic from the drivers side as the drivers side is fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which Car to get ?-img_4551.jpg   Which Car to get ?-img_4552.jpg   Which Car to get ?-img_4553.jpg   Which Car to get ?-img_4554.jpg   Which Car to get ?-img_4555.jpg  

Which Car to get ?-img_4557.jpg  
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 20th December 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Vauxhalls hold their value well? Don't think so!

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Peugeot 306 DTurbo (not TD) would fit the bill. Engine is good for 200k miles relatively low insurance too despite being >1.4L

If you don't care about driving an just want a basic car for A-B a Hyundai or Kia, they lose value like stones and with a 5-7year warranty you should be able to get one thats covered.

Don't be scared of high milers either. Engines in a motorway only 100k+ car will be considerably better than a 40ker only used for 1mile runs to school/work/shops due to never having a chance to warm up the oil.

Don't write off cars with larger engines either. Little shopping hatches are bought by 17yos and have higher insurance premiums than midsized saloons only bought by old men.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Peugeot 306 DTurbo (not TD) would fit the bill. Engine is good for 200k miles relatively low insurance too despite being >1.4L

If you don't care about driving an just want a basic car for A-B a Hyundai or Kia, they lose value like stones and with a 5-7year warranty you should be able to get one thats covered.

Don't be scared of high milers either. Engines in a motorway only 100k+ car will be considerably better than a 40ker only used for 1mile runs to school/work/shops due to never having a chance to warm up the oil.

Don't write off cars with larger engines either. Little shopping hatches are bought by 17yos and have higher insurance premiums than midsized saloons only bought by old men.
    Thanks for the suggestion ref peugot but am not keen nor interested in a peugot - my better half has one and its put me right off of them.

Thank Post
    Nissan Micra all the way mate. You can get a half decent one for around 700, parts are cheap, bullet proof engines and gear boxs and best of all they are cheap insurance.

we used the 'families' one to get a batroom suite in, a fireplace and the flooring for when we were doing the house. absolutley no bother with them and they last and last

We have had loads in the family, the last one my uncle had and that did 125k until someone forgot to prss thier breaks and went into the side of him wrote the car off but hey at least he got all his cash back from the insurance and yep you guessed it - another Micra was bought.

I had a renault clio 1.2 16v - nothing but trouble. the electrics are well dodgy and the labour alone is 80 p/h just to tell you that your ar cuts out mate. hopeless service and was well happy to get rid of it!

Yep definaley look into a micra mate

10. Thanks to stariq from:

mac_shinobi (20th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stariq View Post
    Nissan Micra all the way mate. You can get a half decent one for around 700, parts are cheap, bullet proof engines and gear boxs and best of all they are cheap insurance.

we used the 'families' one to get a batroom suite in, a fireplace and the flooring for when we were doing the house. absolutley no bother with them and they last and last

We have had loads in the family, the last one my uncle had and that did 125k until someone forgot to prss thier breaks and went into the side of him wrote the car off but hey at least he got all his cash back from the insurance and yep you guessed it - another Micra was bought.

I had a renault clio 1.2 16v - nothing but trouble. the electrics are well dodgy and the labour alone is 80 p/h just to tell you that your ar cuts out mate. hopeless service and was well happy to get rid of it!

Yep definaley look into a micra mate
    Looking at the nissan almera's and toyota corolla and mazda 323 so narrowed it down to those for the time being - just need to wait until a week tuesday and then will have a proper look on auto trader - any other good websites that people can suggest I should look at - excluding google , bing etc

Thank Post
    All I can say is make sure you check it well.. My X reg 1.6 Astra auto cost me 2k, and apart from an ECU failure (300), it's been spot on. I need to do the air/pollen/oil filters and oil change, and 1 new tyre..but it's painless and quite nice.

The 1.6 I had before that was stunning (1800)..in 5 years it only cost for the usual tyres/brakes/servicing..then some tit crushed my boot. I do have a "spare" 1.4 auto that cost me 400...and it's a nail. Sigh.

Off the top of my head it needs a new headlamp, a new indicator, a complete exhaust rebuild (suspect a collapsed catalyst), a total rebuild of the brakes (no pressure), a steering check and tracking, and I'd say the autobox has been abused badly, judging by the turbine and fluid pump whine.

It came to me with a full MOT...mmm...can we say dodgy garage? Luckily it's a spare, so it's sat on ramps until I find the time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    All I can say is make sure you check it well.. My X reg 1.6 Astra auto cost me 2k, and apart from an ECU failure (300), it's been spot on. I need to do the air/pollen/oil filters and oil change, and 1 new tyre..but it's painless and quite nice.

The 1.6 I had before that was stunning (1800)..in 5 years it only cost for the usual tyres/brakes/servicing..then some tit crushed my boot. I do have a "spare" 1.4 auto that cost me 400...and it's a nail. Sigh.

Off the top of my head it needs a new headlamp, a new indicator, a complete exhaust rebuild (suspect a collapsed catalyst), a total rebuild of the brakes (no pressure), a steering check and tracking, and I'd say the autobox has been abused badly, judging by the turbine and fluid pump whine.

It came to me with a full MOT...mmm...can we say dodgy garage? Luckily it's a spare, so it's sat on ramps until I find the time.
    Im no mechanic by a very long shot - so not sure what things to check or look out for etc - any bullet points / brief list of things I can keep an eye out for to avoid.

Thank Post
    Hmm. Listen for odd noises, if it's been started and warmed up before you test it, be wary. Check the tyres, check the fluid levels and colours, look at the general vehicle condition. If you can, get a road test.

All my usual checks are geared towards making sure the autobox is sound. Oh, and if the dealer seems to be trying to pressure you to buy it with "someone's coming to see it" etc etc, laugh in their face. I've had that sell twice now.

The place I bought the nail from had lots of cars, many with dents/broken trim...he said "I sell cheap cars". Then he gave me a load of flannel about the Asstrap being "for a friends daughter, but I've beaten them to it" etc. I just laughed and said "It's a sh*theap, make it roadworthy, slap a 12 month ticket on it, you've got a deal. I don't care about the dents, rust, the welded up exhaust, the "no more nails"...it's a temporary car for a few weeks." I think he was quite taken aback.

It'll do 40 with a runup..it doesn't do hills, it won't do pulloff acceleration, it won't do fuel economy. it's a project..I know the ECU/MPi systems are sound, the timing is spot on, the engine had 67k on it..I can make it go. If I can't I'll nab the injection setup as a spare for the 1.6, use it as an educational "test" car for servicing then scrap it.

He had an Accord estate auto in on a V plate...but by christ, it sounded rough. Why do I think it'll be bodged and sold off quick...

Quality used cars in Telford, Shropshire | Dream Car Sales - page 2, the black V plate 1.6i Aerodeck. NAIL!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_Teacher_NE View Post
    Vauxhalls hold their value well? Don't think so!
    oh lol! suppose when it was a toss between that and a Fiat Punto.. i was right to go with what i have done?.....

hehe... i hate not knowing anything about cars

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    hehe... i hate not knowing anything about cars
    makes 2 of us - Australian equivalent holdens are meant to be pretty good - not sure if thats the case though

Thank Post
    This is why I buy used..both my written off P reg and the X are ex-Motability cars..3 years of Vauxhall full servicing at no expense spared, regular maintenance, then usually either sold to the owners or put into auction cheap.

Both had/have MASSIVE service history folders, including hand written notes about ALL work the X reg has had from new by the old owner, up to 2 months before I bought it. Think the X is now at 60k. Resale values, I don't do. Run 'em till they die, treat them as essentially a disposable asset. 2k, 8 months ago...I've been paid more than it cost already.

Yes, it's 9 years old this year..the last one would have been 11, the Nail is 14 years old..all still work well enough. As they say, face - bothered...there's NO value is second hand cars now...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12