+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Changing a Light Bulb in General; Popped into Halfords to buy replacement bulb for car - lady asked if I'd like it fitted. I laughed and ...

Thank Post

Changing a Light Bulb

Popped into Halfords to buy replacement bulb for car - lady asked if I'd like it fitted. I laughed and said I was OK thank you and went out to do it.

5 mins later - nipped back inside to see if they had a Haynes manual for a Ford C-MAX - no luck - sneaked past checkout lady - tried again - stil couldn't see how to do it!

Got into pm school - googled - found enough info to get the job done hew:

I've changed whole car engines when I was 14 for goodness sake!

Chastened Simon

PS
    For ref - unscrew slotted/torx metal screw - press down on piece of plastic down BOTH sides of the assembly (they act as catches) (left one is hidden and needs long screwdriver to press it) then the whole assembly comes out!

Thank Post
    I had a similar situation last year. I was waiting behind a lady at the checkout who was buying a lamp for her car. She asked if they could fit it. This meant they needed to take the reg number for their records, but she couldn't remember it. So she rang her boyfriend to ask the details. He didn't answer, so eventually she went outside to find it.

She came back into the shop, and then they had difficulty finding her cars details on the till. All this time I am patiently waiting to be served with my lamp for my car. I was really close to suggesting to the lady that I could fit her lamp - saving her the £2.95 fitting fee, and my time. But I was getting quite cross, and was in risk of snapping at her, even though I was going to make a kind offer. So I kept quiet.

Eventually I bought my lamp, and was offered the same fitting fee. I laughed it off.

It took me roughly 40 minutes to fit that damn lamp in my car - blooming battery box in the way. All the time chuntering under my breath.

Thank Post
    I used to have a Mk1 Ford Focus, which on one side was an awful job to do. Battery box in the way needed taking out, and then if you had wrists bigger than a pencil, forget it! Must be a Ford thing :-)

Thank Post
    Hehe, yeah must be a ford thing. To change a bulb on mine, or even adjust to continental driving the whole effing headlight assembly needs removing. So, rad grill comes off, unscrew and unplug headlight, take back off headlight, adjust, refit in reverse order.

Thank Post
    Yep, mine was the MkII Focus! Ended up taking the whole headlight out the second time, much easier.

Thank Post
    my old mondeo was a right bugger when it came to changing headlights! especially this time of year when it's oh so cold.

just had snow here. woooooo

Thank Post
    My old clio was easy to replace bulbs on, especially the rears as it was just twisting a plastic bandle to release the whole thing.

Havent had to change a bulb on my last 2 BMW's

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heh had some thing similar yesterday.

Did the annual thing of realising my MOT was due on my Fiesta on the day it expired
    Managed to book it on for the evening and gave it a once over - argh the sidelights have gone!

Drove over to Halfords in my lunchbreak, got the bulbs (dismissing the usual offer to fit them), drove home, took the grill off, disassembled the light assembly, put new bulbs in and BANG! they both blew
    Done this loads of times so don't know what happened but had to reassemble it all and go back to work.

After work drove back to Halfords, got new bulbs and shamefully accepted the offer to fit them from the same person. Got outside and went to take the grill off for him to which he said "No need for that mate" and promptly reached round the back of the assembly and pulled the lights straight out and fitted new ones in about 10 seconds

Thank Post
    Muggins here used to work for Halfrauds, and used to do the fitting on products like bulbs. Used to feel pretty bad taking money for a job which normally only took me a few seconds to do! Some cars can be right pains to do thou, normally find battery trays and washer bottles being in the way are pretty common!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Did the annual thing of realising my MOT was due on my Fiesta on the day it expired
    Yeah, if the DVLA can send you a reminder that your tax is due, why not that your MOT is?

Thank Post
    Try this ....
    To change a lightbulb....

it starts with jack up the car and remove the wheel.....

Renault Megane II Owners Club :: Changing the headlight bulb on your megane

rad
    Thank Post
    I did one in the car park to Halfords before, a police women walked past and commented, something like, "It would be easier in the light to change that"
    I replied "yes, but you guys may pull me over before then" to which she had no comment to make!

Imagine the situation on the side of the road, when the policeman informs you that your headlight is not working, I'd hand it to him and ask him to fit it!

Oh my car is a MkII Focus too! I agree its easier to remove headlight!

Thank Post
    i went in to buy a headlight bulb for my dads passat, the assistant went "Which headlight is it? The one for driving at night or the one you use to flash with?" After a 5 minute discussion on the "one you flash with" i walked out and went to a local independant one for the bulb!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Try this ....
    To change a lightbulb....

it starts with jack up the car and remove the wheel.....

Renault Megane II Owners Club :: Changing the headlight bulb on your megane
    i believe that you have to do that with a Ford KA to!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Meriva used to be a bugger particularly side with battery used to be easier to take headlight out. Fabia on the other hand was easy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast