+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, It must be the end of term because.... in General; Originally Posted by Arcath You could also point out that unless the DVD is a public showing version they are ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    You could also point out that unless the DVD is a public showing version they are breaking the law.
    Hasn't this been discussed before, as long as you don't show the whole film and have this one licence or the other then it's okay? Can't remember what was said.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Hasn't this been discussed before, as long as you don't show the whole film and have this one licence or the other then it's okay? Can't remember what was said.
    From the Intellectual Property Office website

Is there a copyright exception for showing a video to school children?

There is an exception to copyright that means that showing a video or DVD to school children may not need a licence from the copyright owners. Whether or not the exception applies will largely depend on the particular circumstances, including the purpose of the showing. The exception will only apply if certain conditions are met:

* The video/DVD must be shown in an educational establishment. An 'educational establishment' is defined in copyright law as including any school (colleges offering further or higher education and universities are also 'educational establishments'). 'School' has the meaning given by education legislation:
    * in relation to England and Wales, the Education Act 1996;
    * in relation to Scotland, the Education (Scotland) Act 1962 (including approved schools under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968); and,
    * in relation to Northern Ireland, the Education and Libraries (Northern Ireland) Order 1986.

This could mean that play groups, holiday clubs and similar organisations may not fall within the definition of a school, and so may not count as an 'educational establishment'.

* The audience must consist only of the children, teachers and others connected with the activities of the school. This will not usually include parents, unless they are, for example, acting as a classroom assistant.
    * The showing of the video/DVD must be for the purpose of instruction. Of course, there are some videos which are clearly educational and so will be instructional by themselves, but there are others whose main purpose is to entertain. These could still be used provided there is some instructional purpose. If the showing is used to initiate a discussion with a learning outcome, for example, this may be sufficient to meet this condition, but the showing of a video during a wet lunchtime only to entertain the pupils is unlikely to meet this condition.

Thank Post
    Walked through one of my schools yesterday and asked the teacher just when the film the kids were watching came out on dvd - easy answer - it hadn't yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...I'm cleaning the computers and the IT suites

Not a job I enjoy but with the cleaners just about managing to vacuum the middle of the floor, something has to be done.

Worst bit? Turning the keyboards over and seeing what crud comes out!
    Another one with the metaphorical pinny on here

Although my worst job is still cleaning the projectors!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Another one with the metaphorical pinny on here

Although my worst job is still cleaning the projectors!
    Didn't bring the pinny but I did bring the rubber gloves!

I made a stand long ago about the projectors: on 15 hours a week there isn't enough time to sort them out as most filters cannot be cleaned 'in situ' due to the brackets covering them up. The teachers can't do without their projectors even for a day, and as I work term-time only, the cleaning just doesn't get done

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    You could also point out that unless the DVD is a public showing version they are breaking the law.
    No, the school just needs an MPLCUK Umbrella license:

http://www.mplcuk.com/

Around 300 a year, I seem to remember.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Must admit the calls for iffy speakers and DVD drives have gone up again..... Never mind they are being re-classified as Low Lever jobs / Holiday Jobs as we've got bigger fish to fry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Must admit the calls for iffy speakers and DVD drives have gone up again..... Never mind they are being re-classified as Low Lever jobs / Holiday Jobs as we've got bigger fish to fry
    Snap, need to go find some decent classroom speakers now, any recommendations?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12