+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Please read this if you are thinking of drinking and driving in General; Everyone knows the risks but if you are out during the Xmas break and have a drink - just don't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Please read this if you are thinking of drinking and driving

Everyone knows the risks but if you are out during the Xmas break and have a drink - just don't drive - it's that simple. Have a read of this:

BBC News - Road crash: An otherwise ordinary day

2. 13 Thanks to mattx:

Ben-BSH (17th December 2009), contink (17th December 2009), Fatmas (17th December 2009), Fuzzz (17th December 2009), garethedmondson (17th December 2009), GrumbleDook (17th December 2009), nawbus (17th December 2009), nephilim (17th December 2009), sparkeh (17th December 2009), stevenlong1985 (18th December 2009), tech_guy (17th December 2009), teddybear (17th December 2009), tmcd35 (17th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was very lucky as an 11 year old. It was friday of the week before the end of the summer term in primary school, and it had been raining the day before and that morning. The sports day had been postponed as a result and we had a normal day. I walked home with some friends, my home was around 800 yards from the school, one main road to cross which had a lollipop man and just my own road to cross as my home was on the other side.

It was fairly sunny, quite warm and the road was still a little damp, but it was a generally a nice day.

I decided to cross the road a little further up than usual as another group of friends were on the other side ... I seem to remember a girl I fancied was with them. I said to my mates I would catch them at the swimming pool in the morning, a ritual that about 10 of us had been doing for nearly 18 months, ever since we learnt to swim. I had a quick look up and down the road ... my own road ... a quiet road ... so it was a quick look. I could here a car but not near, I seem to remember that it was far enough away. I honestly can't remember if I hesitated a bit but I heard someone shout my name.

I remember trying to jump backwards ... something hitting my head ... my body bouncing on the ground ... I even remember swearing and then worrying that someone had heard me. My head hurt, but I wanted to get up and find out what had happened ... but as soon as I moved the dizziness from my head was replaced by a sharp, excruciating pain in my right leg. I looked down the road and a car was stopped ... a head was stuck out the window ... my brother was running up the road and tried to grab the head and then I can remember the car wasn't there anymore. Someone ... I think it was the girl I wanted to chat with ... someone was telling me not to try and move.

Most of the wait for the ambulance is not clear ... some of the things I think I remember others don't ... apparently for some of it I was unconscious and some of it I told jokes to others to cheer them up. My dad appeared as he was the caretaker at the infant school site just down the road, my mum appeared before the ambulance took me away.

I was lucky. The car had been speeding and the estimate was between 43 and 50 MPH on a 30 mph road, close to 2 schools, a road where there were the odd spot with double parking so only one car could get past. It seems that trying to jump backwards meant my feet were off the floor when I was fit ... reducing the damage to my leg. My head hurt because I was leaning backwards and got flipped over, hitting the wing mirror instead of the windscreen or the car frame. The wing mirror easily came off. Being young I was flexible and bouncy so the road was not really a problem. I had fallen from higher when climbing trees.

I can remember the arguements at the hospital about the car ... I didn't understand why it wasn't there the next time I had looked and it seemed that no-one knew who it was or where they had gone. Thankfully my friends had, between them, got the registration, the colour, make and model, identifying stickers, a description of the driver as so much more ...

It turns out the driver was not at home when the police called round ... the car was nowhere to be seen. The car was found 4 days later burnt out ... and the driver later that day. It took the police 4 interviews until he admitted that he had driven the car, it hadn't been stolen as he claimed and that he had driven off. He did test positive for having had a drink in the preceding days but the police did not have enough evidence to show that it was prior to him hitting me.

The guy's niece was a friend of a family friend and told the police which pub the guy had been in that afternoon. The landlord denied everything, as did the other locals. In the end he was done for failing to stop and failing to report and accident ... he got a total of 6 points and 110 in fines. He was later banned for 4 other traffic offences that were waiting to be processed at the time of him hitting me. He was caught driving whilst disqualified within 6 months and was breathalised, found to be 3 times over the limit and was fined again. he was eventually given 3 months for another RTC 4 years after hitting me ... this time someone was seriously injured in a car he drove into the back of whilst drunk.

I was lucky ... over the years 4 friends have been taken due to drink driving ... 2 cyclists, one pedestrian and one in a car ... and another died after crashing whilst drunk.

I know that my story is not going to change the mind of people like the driver who hit me ... and even the BBC article is unlikely to shake them ... but the landlord of the pub which this guy was served in knew he was driving ... so did the other locals ... his family knew he did it on a regular basis too.

Don't be scared to pick up the phone and call the police to report someone leaving the pub after having too many. Don't be scared to approach the landlord. Don't be scared to say to your friends that they have had their limit and not to drink anymore, or to even sort out a taxi for them. If you have friends that insist of drinking too much then don't go out with them. Agree a system of designated drivers to try and cover the need to get to the pub or restaurant.

It is not someone else's problem ... *you* can do something about it too. It might be someone you know, you love or you who is affected by this.

4. 10 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

Batman (17th December 2009), Fuzzz (17th December 2009), garethedmondson (17th December 2009), ICT_GUY (18th December 2009), korifugi (17th December 2009), mattx (17th December 2009), princessbucki (17th December 2009), SteveT (17th December 2009), TheCrust (17th December 2009), tmcd35 (17th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Everyone knows the risks but if you are out during the Xmas break and have a drink - just don't drive - it's that simple. Have a read of this:

BBC News - Road crash: An otherwise ordinary day
    Thanks Dad.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing I can't understand is why we have a alcohol *limit*, it should be *no* alcohol if you are driving period.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 17th December 2009 at 09:58 AM.

7. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

jcollings (17th December 2009), SteveT (17th December 2009)

Thank Post
    What a cheerful thread!

Thank Post
    me and my friends before we drink always ask "Will i need to drive?" if yes its non alcoholic drinks for you all night

Thank Post
    totaly agree with you, I drive places so I don't drink - particulary if I'm out on a school night, makes the morning after so much more pleasant.
    I am unable to understand why people think they are better drivers after a couple - which usualy means far more than a couple - of pints.
    If you are drinking
    Don't drive
    Easy

cheers
    Adrian

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I think Grumbledook wrapped it up very well with:

'It is not someone else's problem ... *you* can do something about it too. It might be someone you know, you love or you who is affected by this.'

I just don't understand why people still do it in this day and age - everyone knows what could happen but every year people still do it.

TheLibrarian
    @GrumbleDook - That is some chilling reading.
    _

There has to be a slight limit for alcohol in the blood, the humand body manufactures alcohol. Also mouth wash can contain alcohol, plus the odd food too.

I do not condone any sort of DUI.

I've gone as far as warning my daughter that if I ever suspect her of drinking and driving I will report her myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    me and my friends before we drink always ask "Will i need to drive?" if yes its non alcoholic drinks for you all night
    I do it the other way round, "Do I need to drink?". The answer is invariably yes, so I dont drive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    One thing I can't understand is why we have a alcohol *limit*, it should be *no* alcohol if you are driving period.
    Spot on.

and @Disaster Grow up. It may be you at some point. Your comments are not required if this is all they consist of.

Thank Post
    What a lot of people ignore/don't realise, is that the chances are the alcohol is still there in the morning when you get in your car to drive to work!

So, despite a night's sleep, you are still no more fit to drive than you were when you left the party/pub/friend's house etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    There has to be a slight limit for alcohol in the blood, the humand body manufactures alcohol. Also mouth wash can contain alcohol, plus the odd food too.
    Sorry I didn't mean that a blood alcohol test should read zero before you should drive as you rightly point out as we would all fail
    What I meant is that there should be a clear law that you do not *consume* alcohol before driving.

The current law is too flakey as an arbitary limit does not take into account how alcohol effects everyone differently. Everyone's judgement is effected after a drink to a lesser or greater extent from slight increase in danger to extreme increase.

Plus we all know that having a drink increases your confidence and for some people makes them think you are ok to drive so its a terrible mix.

Just stay alcohol free.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Agreed, but the problem is that even teetotallers could have some alcohol in their blood stream for all sorts of reasons. If you set the limit at zero you could have people being penalised when they've done nothing wrong.

I think Grumbledook's comments are right; many people who drink and drive do it after leaving a pub etc when lots of people will have seen them and done nothing about it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I do it the other way round, "Do I need to drink?". The answer is invariably yes, so I dont drive
    i live in a rural area, all my friends are a 10-15 drive away so "Do i need to drive" is often followed by "is there a bed in this village i can use?"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast