+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Please read this if you are thinking of drinking and driving in General; Originally Posted by mattx ....everyone knows what could happen but every year people still do it. That's because they're thick, ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    ....everyone knows what could happen but every year people still do it.
    That's because they're thick, stupid and selfish.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Many many countries have a much lower level of alcohol allowed in the blood when driving:
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country]Drunk driving law by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

There will ALWAYS be idiots who think it is OK to drive after a couple of drinks, and I think the main point is, as Grumbledook said, that we ALL need to take responsibility and report anyone we see who is over the limit or at least stop them driving.
    I have also told my sons that if I suspect them of driving over the limit I will report them myself, like Librarian

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Agreed, but the problem is that even teetotallers could have some alcohol in their blood stream for all sorts of reasons. If you set the limit at zero you could have people being penalised when they've done nothing wrong.
    I refer my Right Honourable Gentlemen to post above his one

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    Spot on.

and @Disaster Grow up. It may be you at some point. Your comments are not required if this is all they consist of.
    I dont need people to tell me not to drink drive, and I'm sure no-one else on this forum does either.
    It's obvious drink driving is idiotic and kills. I can only hope others don't ever do it...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    I too have a young son who drives and I have also issued him with a stern warning that if I ever suspect he has driven whilst having taken a drink of alchohol I would disown him and take him in to the police myself.

Also have a young daughter who is only 15 but has an older boyfriend who's friends drive and we have told her not to even contemplate getting into a car with anyone other than us simply for this fact that there are more and more youngsters driving whilst under the influence of alchohol and drugs.

People who are caught whilst under the influence of either drink or drugs should be banned for life and if they persist then the second time they are caught driving after being banned for life they should be locked up for life and life should mean life.

Any scum like this does not deserve to be on the roads.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    I dont need people to tell me not to drink drive, and I'm sure no-one else on this forum does either.
    Sadly not true, out of 20,000+ members there are going to be people who drink and drive this xmas. If only one person reads this and decides to do the right thing then its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    It's obvious drink driving is idiotic and kills. I can only hope others don't ever do it...
    Amen to that, so its good to put the message out right?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeekmafia78 View Post
    What a cheerful thread!
    But an important and timely one.

GJE

Thank Post
    If Drinking = True Then
    Driving == False
    End If

Think that should cover it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean that a blood alcohol test should read zero before you should drive as you rightly point out as we would all fail
    What I meant is that there should be a clear law that you do not *consume* alcohol before driving.

The current law is too flakey as an arbitary limit does not take into account how alcohol effects everyone differently. Everyone's judgement is effected after a drink to a lesser or greater extent from slight increase in danger to extreme increase.
    Such a law would be arbitrary itself though wouldn't it? How long after you've consumed alcohol must you wait before driving? It would need to take into account the quantity consumed too.

There needs to be some foolproof method of knowing whether you're fit to drive, I suspect that for a lot of people who are over the limit it's not a pre-meditated deliberate act, but something that comes of not having an accurate way of knowing whether what state they are in the morning after.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A sobering thread (pardon the pun). I just want to echo the local police's advertising campaign.

Most people charged with drink driving offensive are charged THE NEXT DAY.
    Just because you've been to sleep, don't feel drunk/woosy, and think you're over the worst of the hang over - don't think you're not drunk and are fit to drive!

It takes around 24hours for the level of alchahol in your blood stream to drop.

EDIT: with 312 views - does that mean 312 people are potentially thinking of drink driving this christmas

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    A sobering thread (pardon the pun). I just want to echo the local police's advertising campaign.

Just because you've been to sleep, don't feel drunk/woosy, and think you're over the worst of the hang over - don't think you're not drunk and are fit to drive!
    Whilst I wouldn't want to condone drinking and driving, I do wonder how it's possible to convict somebody in such circumstances. The average driver doesn't have the means to know whether they have alcohol in their system, so in cases where somebody "accidentally" (for want of a better word) drives while over the limit it really doesn't seem reasonable to treat them in the same way as somebody who goes out on the lash and drives home knowing that they have had too much.

I'm not saying that it's right for people to drive with alcohol in their system, it's not something I would knowingly do and I've never been done for drink driving. But I do think that this needs to be more transparent, there needs to be a way to definitively find out whether you are safe and legal to drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    There needs to be some foolproof method of knowing whether you're fit to drive.
    I have one - I don't drink!

13. 4 Thanks to jcollings:

akidosaint (17th December 2009), El_Nombre (17th December 2009), sparkeh (17th December 2009), witch (17th December 2009)

Thank Post
    I've not got my own car yet but when I do I will not drink at all when I need to drive.

Their is no point risking it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    I have one - I don't drink!
    Which is all well and good, but going back to my previous comment, how long before driving do you not drink?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    The average driver doesn't have the means to know whether they have alcohol in their system, so in cases where somebody "accidentally" (for want of a better word) drives while over the limit it really doesn't seem reasonable to treat them in the same way as somebody who goes out on the lash and drives home knowing that they have had too much.
    I think the local bobbies stance, and one I agree with, is that if you've been out on the lash the night before don't think you're fit to drive the next morning because you have 'slept it off'. Give a reasonable amount of time for the alchahol to work it's way out of your system.

If you stagger to bed at 2am having been out on a bender then get up at 9am and drive to the petrol station (or whatever) then you deserve the book throwing at you. You knew you where out drinking the night before (or head may definately still know (ouch)), you know you we're pissed and you know it hasn't been atleast 24hours since you stopped drinking. What excuse could you possibly have?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast