+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, IT in the next 3 years in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone's asked me this recently and I wasn't sure what to answer. So, as this could well be a question asked by many:

Some projectors are better specced and more suitable for a classroom than the one's we typically get specified. Some of these projectors cost less than the replacement lamps for the standard affairs. (acer do one, Xsomething - x110 maybe?) Better contrast, better in bright conditions, and dirt cheap.

So, why do they buy a £500 Sanyo or Hitachi as typically specified by Smart, RM or Promethean with bulbs that cost £250, when they can get an Acer Xyz for £220 with bulbs that cost £150 - if they last half as long, they haven't lost anything - they replace it like for like. Possible issues with alignment in the rare cases that universal mountings aren't used but other than the "green" side of it, where's the downside?
    Are projectors really that sort of consumable item? Will they continue to be in 3 years?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Are projectors really that sort of consumable item? Will they continue to be in 3 years?
    I'm wondering if the rush to upgrade projectors will slow down. When we first got them, people didn't really know what they'd do with them, or thought they'd show a few PowerPoints. Once in place, they realised they were using them for much finer detail stuff, images, video and so on and suddenly their 1500 Lumen projector was insufficient so they upgraded to a 2200. Now that we know this, we fit 2200 as standard, so hopefully the projectors we buy today will see a longer life cycle than the ones we bought 5 years ago.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=solitaire89;442051He used to work in a US school before he came to us, and I think he's been talking to the guys over there. He wants to send me or the Network Manager on a course about it; I think he called it "the iPhone as a learning resource".[/QUOTE]

Pleased to see he's doing it that way rather than telling you to buy 20 of them and only then asking "how do we use these?".

In my more blue sky moments, I can see a classroom use for iPhones - they're certainly more advanced than a handheld voting thing and can do a lot of what a Netbook can do, but with much better battery life. How many schools have class sets of laptops and voting units and even some Nintendo DS? An iPhone possibly represents a cheaper amalgamation of those technologies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The great thing* about using a iPods/iPhones in an education environment is that they have non-replaceable batteries, so after 12-18 months you have to buy new again.

* for Apple

Thank Post
    Let's be real - I know that the batteries are non-replaceable, but how many are genuinely dying after just 12 months (especially with the low usage which classroom iProducts will have).

Thank Post
    I think the dock/charging connector or the touch screen itself will give up the ghost on an iPhone in school more rapidly than the battery will......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Pleased to see he's doing it that way rather than telling you to buy 20 of them and only then asking "how do we use these?".
    Me too... Like I say, new head and I think that things are certainly on the up - well, certainly for me they are, 4 years with nothing, and in the space of a month, I've been given a laptop (all be it a knackered one with no screen ) and a room that I can use (I wasn't even allowed to set up camp in the server room before). I'm happy

Thank Post
    Citrix Virtual Desktops - Thin Clients and their HDX Tech for flawless Video playback.
    It's what we are looking at moving towards over the next 3 years - taking more processing power out of the class room and into the server room.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234