+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Forum rules / code? in General; I'm hoping this post reads suitably and isn't mistaken for a Behind the Red Door submission... Does this site have ...
    Thank Post

Forum rules / code?

I'm hoping this post reads suitably and isn't mistaken for a Behind the Red Door submission...

Does this site have any predefined rules or a code of conduct?
    Do the Moderators work to this list, or just use their own individual judgement?

The reason I ask is that I am genuinely interested, but also because there seems to be a large inconsistency with what is deemed acceptable and unacceptable on here lately?

The most recent examples that come to mind are the removal / locking of the "FedEx Smoker" thread - I participated and got thanked in it, kept track of it, but certainly can't think why it would have needed to be removed?
    Also the Teacherswebfolder thread - blatant advertising from a company who isn't an official sponsor!
    This must seem like a bit of a kick in the teeth for the decent companies like CP, NetCtrl, Smoothwall (and many others) who devote time, money and expertise in these forums for the same luxuries the above company seem to be getting for free?

I don't want to seem overly negative on the job the Moderators do - I know they give up a large amount of time and energy to try and keep our community troll-free and I thank them for that. I'm just not convinced that the policing of this site is consistent, or follows a code or rule set that the rest of the site could be aware of and try and adhere to?

2. 8 Thanks to mb2k01:

bossman (16th December 2009), CPLTD (16th December 2009), Edu-IT (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009), jamesreedersmith (16th December 2009), Mcshammer_dj (16th December 2009), RingOfFlame (16th December 2009), speckytecky (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I didn't notice the fedex xmoker thread get deleted - that was mine!!!

Gutted. That was a good discussion thread and I don't think it got personal or offensive in any way.

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I asked the same question a while ago but got no response.

If you log out and login again you get the terms of use but they aren't in depth or anything.

5. Thanks to sparkeh from:

garethedmondson (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think if any thread is deleted there should be a reason given - even if it is just to the original poster.

Of course I'm sure it has been pointed out but the mods are volunteers and do the job through goodwill. They have a tough job. However some explaining would be handy sometimes.

GJE

7. 2 Thanks to garethedmondson:

bossman (16th December 2009), sparkeh (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Personally I think if any thread is deleted there should be a reason given - even if it is just to the original poster.

Of course I'm sure it has been pointed out but the mods are volunteers and do the job through goodwill. They have a tough job. However some explaining would be handy sometimes.

GJE
    Personally I agree with this and it keeps coming up as an issue.
    On any forums I mod, if I edit/delete I always send a quick PM to explain why, generally this cuts out the "Why was my thread deleted!!!11!1!??" type of threads.

Edit: Before this comment comes up, I really do understand that people are volunteers and busy etc and don't want to come across as disparaging anyone. And to put my money where my mouth I am always prepared to volunteer my help in any way - I am not going to say that people should be doing stuff I am not prepared to do myself.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 16th December 2009 at 11:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe the rules have always been 'be nice, and its up to the moderators and admins' individual judgements, with dos_box having the final say on any issue'. And that a formal set of rules would cause more trouble than they're worth. Can't remember the exact discussions about this before but that's what I remember anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We generally work on the 'Netiquette' rules, but whenever a post gets flagged or begins to get out of hand there is a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes as to what action to take. Sometimes posts do dissapere suddenly. This can be for a variety of reasons, often when a larger company leans on the OP and they ask for it to be removed, or when the thread begins to deteriorate beyond resonable discussion. Trust me when I say we don't do things lightly, and when the admins are away sometimes things get overlooked. As for the TeachersWebFolder thread I have been away for a couple of weeks and am about to get my big bad editing head on. It is however (in most posts) a reasonable reply to a thread started by a long time member. Some posts are however blatant publicity and I shall deal with them shortly. I have a meeting starting shortly and will deal with it after that.

11. 6 Thanks to Dos_Box:

bossman (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009), localzuk (16th December 2009), mb2k01 (16th December 2009), sparkeh (16th December 2009), teejay (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    We generally work on the 'Netiquette' rules, but whenever a post gets flagged or begins to get out of hand there is a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes as to what action to take. Sometimes posts do dissapere suddenly. This can be for a variety of reasons, often when a larger company leans on the OP and they ask for it to be removed, or when the thread begins to deteriorate beyond resonable discussion. Trust me when I say we don't do things lightly, and when the admins are away sometimes things get overlooked. As for the TeachersWebFolder thread I have been away for a couple of weeks and am about to get my big bad editing head on. It is however (in most posts) a reasonable reply to a thread started by a long time member. Some posts are however blatant publicity and I shall deal with them shortly. I have a meeting starting shortly and will deal with it after that.
    Thanks for the response. I do understand the hassle that moderating a forum can cause. Done it myself on the RM Communities - but there were clear rules there.

I don't understand why you cannot delete individual posts and then warn the offending poster. Deleting a full thread seems like a tough line - especially when people have spent time posting.

The Ospreys Rugby forum have a three strikes and out rule - they also post the offending names in a sticky at the top of the forum. They also contact the offending poster.

Just an idea. Of course if you want another Mod - I'm more than happy to help out.

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've just edited down the TeachersWebFolder thread. It was a blatent disregard for our rules on many posts.

14. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

CPLTD (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And that a formal set of rules would cause more trouble than they're worth.
    Really?
    Playing Devil's advocate here but perhaps a more formal structure would cut out some of the recent nonsense as it would be clear what is acceptable and what isn't. Everyone's judgement is different and some people feel that what they post is generally ok and get het up when it is edited. Its better to say "Hey you broke the rules, rather than "You offended our sensibilities."

Also this links in with the "What are we?" topic - perhaps if the direction people want to take it to be taken seriously as a professional site, it could do with some rules?

16. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

garethedmondson (16th December 2009), srochford (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My experience of forums with strict rules always ends up the same way - people picking out tiny bits of them and shouting at each other over supposed infractions. You end up with more discussions about rules than the purpose of the forum.

But then, I spose at the moment without, you end up with posts screaming 'Censorship!' whenever something is removed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Might it be worth considering the creation of more specific in-house rules? That way every poster can be aware of whether their post is appropriate or not, and then also make an educated guess as to why their post was editied / removed?

I'm sure it would be something that lots of us would assist with. Maybe all members could submit ideas in a specific thread about it, so that the community ends up having a sense of creating it themselves?

Thank Post
    I don't think a heavy set of rules is needed, but maybe something like this which is displayed above the text entry box prior to any post on another forum. Clear, simple and adequate.

POSTING TIPS
    When using our forums, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. Please review our community guidelines to see how these apply to your posts.

- Please treat other users with respect.
    - Please ensure your reply is constructive and adds to the discussion.
    - Pointless posts will be removed and may result in you losing posting privileges.
    - To avoid misunderstandings, please don't use 'txt spk' and try to ensure your post is relatively typo-free.
    - Use the ALERT button to flag inappropriate posts rather than responding.

20. 2 Thanks to Number6:

busby (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A quick link to the RM Communities Charter:

RM Community Page

GJE

Thank Post
    With regards to the Fedex thread. I posted something that was pulled up by particular (same ones each time) members over the words "little hitler" which were referring to nobody in particular but rather an over officious type of person or character. I was then subjected to lots of nazi comments and negative remarks and such which were absolutely nothing to do with what i had said or in the spirit of the words used or indeed anything to do with the conversation that was going on.

I got quite offended at this and made my feelings known. I guess this is why the thread was pulled. A shame that certain people constantly try to goad others on these forums and ruin threads. I have asked the mods to look into my posts on the Fedex thread to see where i warranted the negative attacks because it is quite clear to me certain people have a chip on their shoulder and are making that clear whenever i post.

I do feel though that a certain moderator has absolutely no impartiality and will take sides when members have a disagreement. In this particular instance i did in fact use inappropriate language so i can appreciate that my comment needed to be edited, although the sarcastic remark on the public edit by the particular mod was not appreciated and only annoyed me more. I have mentioned this behaviour in a message to the moderators as i feel it only encourages others when they see a moderator being rude and picking sides.

I apologise for your thread being removed Gareth, it was a good conversation and was pleasant until towards the end. Hopefully it can be put back without the unhelpful comments about nazis that sprung up for no valid reason.

If you do not like something that someone has said and feel it is not suitable or is offensive, i would suggest you either pm that person or perhaps as a last resort, report the post and leave it to the mods. Flaming does not help the situation.

23. 3 Thanks to dalsoth:

garethedmondson (16th December 2009), RingOfFlame (16th December 2009), TheRedGuy (16th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast