+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Forum rules / code? in General; Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey That's Mr Yeknomrr Adwop to you Please accept my most humble apologies, kind sir Running your ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    That's Mr Yeknomrr Adwop to you
    Please accept my most humble apologies, kind sir

Running your name through wordsmith.org's anagram page returns several, rather "interesting" combinations, should you be interested in finding out more

2. Thanks to webman from:

powdarrmonkey (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I'm quite happy to use my real name.

GJE
    A lot of us are Gareth. In fact some of my most depraved Internet purchases have been made using your real name

4. 4 Thanks to HarryMonkey:

dalsoth (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009), SteveBentley (16th December 2009), tmcd35 (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Please accept my most humble apologies, kind sir

Running your name through wordsmith.org's anagram page returns several, rather "interesting" combinations, should you be interested in finding out more
    Darn Pokey Worm is my favourite... teehee!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    "Parody Workmen"!

rep++

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've worked it out, you're either "Mayor Down Perk" or "Naked Wormy Pro"

Thank Post
    I'm typing this on my iPhone so my post will be short (unique for me!)
    I see the afternoon generated quite a lot more comment, and a fair bit off-topic too.

Thank you for the 'thanks' - lots of good will in here today, which is heartening as I wasn't sure how my post would be recieved!

Is there a general feeling about how to proceed? A site poll asking if needed? Rule suggestions here? Just leaveto russ and the mod / admin / god section?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have always used a nom de plume when online, and it was all a terrible mistake. I'm stuck with it now but my general nick/handle/nom de plume is synonymous with me now ... I do have a few alter-egos out there but they are hardly ever used, and are only for areas where pretty much no-one knows your name (or is interested). Some people here do feel they *have* to protect themselves though ... and I can understand some of that ... but to use it to hide behind can be a double-edged sword.

And I don't agree with sock puppets ... terrible things ... you can never get the eyes to stay on!

10. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

contink (17th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    A lot of us are Gareth. In fact some of my most depraved Internet purchases have been made using your real name
    Hi Steve,

Long time since I spoke to you as a fellow Communities Moderator - do you still do the modding over there?

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mods have discussed many times about having basic rules... mainly with the purpose of easing the load/ setting out our stall to head off unnecessary altercations.

Whilst EG actually is an autocracy I've always considered it as my property too / as in belonging to all of us in a hippy kinda way. DosBox has that rare talent of level headedness and has run this site in a way that I recon is pretty darn sweet. So like he has directed EG's development maybe this is how it should continue. I'm sure all reasonable suggestions will be taken on board tho'. It's always good IMO to discuss this stuff.. if things can be improved and everyone thinks something's a good idea.. then it'll surely happen.

Thank Post
    On the whole i feel the mods do a pretty good job. I think Edugeek should hire Grumbledook back as a mod as he is one of the most sensible guys i have read posts from in many years. Personally, as much as i try to remain calm when people are throwing around rude remarks or being particularly holier than thou, sometimes i bite back and would expect such a reaction to result in a word from a mod when necessary.

I think everyone needs to count to ten when someone has a dig at them which they feel is unjustified (definitely myself included) and have a word via pm before posting back to the main thread with a biting reply. Perhaps less moderator action would be required if this was the case. I think that Dos_Box has the right balanced approach to the forums. I personally have an issue with a particular mod but that is not for me to worry about too much as i do not pay the bills for this site or do the "real" work that goes on behind the scenes to warrant much of a say in how it is run. I have faith that behind the scenes the team who run the site are doing things the right way for the benefit of the whole community even if sometimes i do not like some of the decisions myself.

@Bossman, i may not agree with everything you post but you are so damned nice about it all!! How do you stay so happy?? Tell me as i need to release the grump inside.

14. 2 Thanks to dalsoth:

GrumbleDook (16th December 2009), sparkeh (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    @Bossman, i may not agree with everything you post but you are so damned nice about it all!! How do you stay so happy?? Tell me as i need to release the grump inside.
    Drink - loads o' drink... and a party hat.

GJE

Thank Post
    It's worth remembering that for the moderators, every single decision that they make is going to upset/annoy somebody, either the person who's post has been edited/removed, or the person who wanted some action to be taken and the mod didn't agree that the post in question merited it.

The mods on EduGeek seem to run a tight enough ship from what I've seen. The problem with having too many rules is that it can take away the ability for them to use their judgement and discretion, and it can turn the job of moderating into something more akin to a traffic warden than of trying to build and foster a community feel to the place, and turn it into a thankless, and unrewarding chore.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    I think everyone needs to count to ten when someone has a dig at them which they feel is unjustified
    Yeah, yeah you are right and I for one will take that on board. I think a fair bit of grief could be avoided if we try and follow that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @dalsoth I was going to thank you and PM you but I have had a few other similar comments about modship / adminship and my role in EG so I thought I would reply publicly.

As much as it would be a joy to come back (and the Admins have always left the door open for me in a very selfless manner) there are several reasons why I can't.

1 - Time : I cannot dedicate the amount of time and energy that the mods put in. That is why I am very amazed at the extra things that some of the mods do such as work, help out with CVs, the one-to-one chats with some members needing specific guidance ...

2 - Conflicts : In the same way that DB is now working full time as there were issues with some elements of his former employer, I am in an even more difficult position. I can be an active member and use the site as a wonderful tool to help me support Northants schools ... but they are my main concern now ... if what I do has a good effect on everyone else then I will aim for that too, but Northants is where my targets are aimed.

3 - Do-gooder : I feel that I am actually doing more good focusing on the small things within Northants than battling against some of the large things happening over the country. It may be a bit selfish in some eyes but I need to focus on the thing that pays the bills. There are some big exceptions to this including things like FITS and a few other bits that will be clear next ...

4 - Educationalist : I am an educationalist and a manager... my job is not to do the hands-on stuff anymore (actually hasn't been for some time to be honest as most will know) but to deal with the education side in a big way. There are times when it will mean backing up IT staff in schools, but it may also mean ripping into some of your arguements and pulling them apart. I am renowned for fence sitting as part of a balance arguement but I can't do that anymore ... and I would not want to put DB in the awkward position of having to deal with the repercussions of a Mod or Admin who also has to get directly involved in a school where there is direct conflict between IT staff and teachers. It would not be fair on DB, the site or members.

Still ... I enjoy the freedom to be an active member here ... and am glad there are so many other like minded folk around. I still think that the general principle is to 'be nice to one another' and accept that there are times you will not agree on things (hey ... it's not my fault you can't recognise that I am always rights!)

19. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

dalsoth (16th December 2009), teejay (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Hi Steve,

Long time since I spoke to you as a fellow Communities Moderator - do you still do the modding over there?

GJE
    Yep, I still do a bit. Rarely have to do much though, the most I've done of late was close a redundant thread. It pretty much runs itself over there. I notice that you don't get the same level of banter as used to be around on the old list server though. Everyone takes themselves far too seriously these days.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast