+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Forum rules / code? in General; Originally Posted by garethedmondson A quick link to the RM Communities Charter: RM Community Page GJE Yeah thats a good ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    A quick link to the RM Communities Charter:

RM Community Page

GJE
    Yeah thats a good example of rules that aren't too heavy.
    I mod Communities and its easy to point people to a reason in the charter why their post have been edited.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    @garethedmondson:

Don't tell me you post on there as well!!! Crikey!!! is there no place I can go to get away from these insane people

Only joking as I feel also there is no real need for heavy rules as we are all grown up responsible Geeks!! are we not?
    Surely the forum has worked well most of the time why do we need to change a winning formula?

I would put it to the vote Dos_Box to see who actively wants to see oppression (sarcasm) by strict Rules being put in place!!

3. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Yeah thats a good example of rules that aren't too heavy.
    I mod Communities and its easy to point people to a reason in the charter why their post have been edited.
    Heh - I used to Mod the Communities.

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @garethedmondson:

Don't tell me you post on there as well!!! Crikey!!! is there no place I can go to get away from these insane people
    @bossman - I'll have you know I was one of the first on the Communities many moons ago. There were a group of us who tested and posted to a closed forum when it was being tested. Some of that group still post there. I do every now again again but since we have moved to a non-RM school I have pulled back from posting a lot. I even pushed for the Vanilla forum on the Communities.

You noobies to the Communities need to respect the elders

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
    I don't think a heavy set of rules is needed, but maybe something like this which is displayed above the text entry box prior to any post on another forum. Clear, simple and adequate.
    Those i feel are fair and basic common sence, but i do say the more a person is educated the less common sence they have. i would not have a problem seeing those "guides to posting" everytime i post on this forum as it is educational. i have fixed many problems since i have joined edugeeks just by reading threads and posting some of my own.

You would think People would be a bit more "grown up" and post responsibly but i do sence we have a few College students on here maybe studying I.T. just like flaming for the "fun of it" and to get a reaction to impress whoever, which then spoils it for everyone else.

I do think it is a bit harsh to remove the full thread rather than the offending posts and a word to say why they where removed. i do believe that is etiquette.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes the discussions degrade on many forums (and the problem has been around for years in other places such as usenet and BBs) as people view the ability to type as the right to say anything then wonder why things can spiral down.

A good example of a thorough debate about a clearly divided opinion can be some of the religious discussions that have taken place ...

I don't like the idea of strict rules ... you will always get people who want to change them, push the boundaries or just cause trouble. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having a few pet trolls as long as people recognise them for what they are ... entities just trying to stir things up. Thankfully most of the trolls here do it why dry humour, understanding of the limits they brush up against and the fact that should a mod or admin say 'wind your neck in a bit' they can take it on the chin.

People also mistake passion and anger.

Guidelines are good ... mods work harder (but could work harder ... that is *always* the case that some mods do more than others ... partly time people have, partly dedication of certain folk) and occasionally need some fresh blood in to keep views fresh (as was done just after BETT).

Being a Mod (or admin) is not a right or a perk ... it is a privilege and honour ... and a curse! Strict rules make it more so.

The other thing to remember is that you don't *have* to respond to posts ... you can ignore them and if enough do so then the stupid stuff generally dwindles away.

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

garethedmondson (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The other thing to remember is that you don't *have* to respond to posts ... you can ignore them and if enough do so then the stupid stuff generally dwindles away.
    That is a fair point, but the flip side is that if only a small percentage refrain from posting an oposition to an unsuitable post then you run the risk of unsuitable posts increasing and not being challenged enough!
    If there was a guide/rule then the unsuitable post could be avoided in the first place or removed safely/without issue.

10. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I will say is this very topic is something that we plan to have bit of discussion about at BETT so think after BETT things will be bit more clearer..

Russ

12. Thanks to russdev from:

Thank Post
    I think CCL's forum rules, point number 7, is possibly the best forum rule ever

CCL Online - FAQ: CCL Forum Rules

Thank Post
    @all:

One only has to look at the governments constant interference with the laws and rules of this country and how this fails constantly.

If this forum was to adopt strict Rules which obviously would have to be updated from time to time then this would also degrade the type of postings which we have on here.

It is because of the wide variety of topics that I remain on here (Wish he would b****r off then I hear you say hehe!!).

I love all the debates that take place on here and if for one moment I thought that this would be restricted because of certain rules then I would certainly look at other forums to join.

I agree that some topics can get out of hand and people flame one another into the bargain but this is what life is all about and gives this forum its flavour.

I vote "NO" to having strict rules on this forum, all those in favour "Get thee behind me"

15. 2 Thanks to bossman:

Domino (16th December 2009), webman (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I vote "NO" to having strict rules on this forum, all those in favour "Get thee behind me"
    I haven't caught up on everyone else's comments for the last hour or so, but my suggestion certianly wasn't for "strict" rules - just rules of any flavour which are defined and readily available!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    my suggestion certianly wasn't for "strict" rules - just rules of any flavour which are defined and readily available!
    So soft and soppy rules which are open to misinterpretation then!!

Is this what you are advocating???

18. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by busby View Post
    You would think People would be a bit more "grown up" and post responsibly but i do sence we have a few College students on here maybe studying I.T. just like flaming for the "fun of it" and to get a reaction to impress whoever, which then spoils it for everyone else..
    Not only that but some of the mods here are only just out of college and that might explain the difference in what stays and what goes. It would seem they are more likely to let things go then some of the other more experienced mods.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Not only that but some of the mods here are only just out of college and that might explain the difference in what stays and what goes.
    @RingOfFlame:

So tell me what are your qualifications on matters of this sort and how can you be so judgemental of people whom you don't know.

How do you know that the Mods are just out of college and are inexperienced in running a forum?

You too, seem to me, by what you write and the way in which you phrase your comments that you are only just out of high school and hav'nt yet experienced anything in life to promote your experiences.

Are you for real or do you just like to wind people up like a Troll?

21. 7 Thanks to bossman:

garethedmondson (16th December 2009), kmount (16th December 2009), localzuk (16th December 2009), powdarrmonkey (16th December 2009), SteveBentley (16th December 2009), TheRedGuy (16th December 2009), webman (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @RingOfFlame now, I have a problem with this point ... and although I can recognise that this is a pretty naff bit of trolling it does raise a point that people often labour about.

Youth does not equal immaturity and age does not equal experience.

I've seen student moderated discussions in schools with more maturity than some of the conversations you get round here and some with worse ... moderation is a skill and will improve with experience, but that is why you have a range of mods ... and also why mods discuss things a lot. *You* may not see those discussions ... but they do talk about things.

23. 7 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

bossman (16th December 2009), garethedmondson (16th December 2009), localzuk (16th December 2009), mossj (16th December 2009), TheRedGuy (16th December 2009), webman (16th December 2009), witch (16th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast