+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Iphone in General; Just wondering what everybody thinks, I am a loyal vodafone customer and have been for many years, I am waiting ...
    Thank Post

Iphone

Just wondering what everybody thinks, I am a loyal vodafone customer and have been for many years, I am waiting for the iphone 3gs to be realeased and apparently it will be Jan... However I keep finding things like this: The NEW iPhone 4G - Coming 2010 and dont want to get locked into a lengthy contract just in time for the iphone 4g... What do you think I should do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like the iPhone, especially now I've jailbroken it. They are nice phones but there are alot of phones out there on the market now which do the same thing, if not a little better. I don't agree with how apple want to control what you put on your phone and what apps you can and can't use.. hence the jailbreak

Thank Post
    I'm really happy with my G1 at the moment. I have another six months left on the contract, but I'm really excited at the prospect of what will be on the market when it comes time to renew.

Thank Post
    I nearly got an iPhone six months ago but decided on the HTC Hero. Very glad I did too.

You might also want to wait and see what emerges about the Nexus One?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HTC Hero is the way I wish I'd gone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    HTC Hero is the way I wish I'd gone
    It is a stunning device, especially so with the latest ROMs.

Thank Post
    the new motorola milestone/droid looks pretty good.

Thank Post
    In my view, and only in my view, the iPhone is a "pretty" device that has been marketed very well, there is a lot of "style over substance" about it. It lacks multi-tasking (so is not really a smartphone at all) and I abhor the closed nature of the beast.

Thank Post
    So should I upgrade to the iphone 3gs asap or stick with my nokia e66 (which is brilliant) untill a 4g is released?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    do neither and get a HTC Hero.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Try the HTC HD2....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    do neither and get a HTC Hero.
    Seconded....

......... or wait and see what the Nexus One has to offer - if it's released in the UK.

Thank Post
    In a geek forum such as this there will inevitably be a lot of support for devices such as the HTC which can be tinkered with ad infinitum. That's what geeks like to do. I have a mate who was quite put out when he got his iPhone because everything just worked. What he was used to doing with Windows Mobile devices was to find something didn't work, then spend quite some time researching, asking around, working it out and he felt quite elated that he had 'got it to work'. Very odd. Now he's found out about jailbreaking he is happy again and keeps ringing me to tell me how he got this and that to work.

I like the Apple paradigm. I like a phone that does what you want it to do. I like the fact that a computer novice can work an iPhone with minimal help. All good stuff. I have had numerous smart phones with a range of different OSs on them, and the iphone is far and away the best, even though it doesn't always look that way on paper.

In June when the iPhone 3GS came out I used a credit card to buy it PAYG. I then put a contract SIM card in it. O2 do a Simplicity SIM with 'unlimited' internet access and 600 mins/1000 texts (or something like that) for only £20 a month with a one month notice to quit. Quite a bargain! If you do the maths, comparing an 18month contract with a PAYG iPhone and Simplicity SIM, the Simplicity route works out considerably cheaper over an 18 month period. What's more, you're not tied in and can buy the new iPhone in June 2010. You would get a good price for your old 3GS too.
    Last edited by scgf; 14th December 2009 at 12:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scgf View Post

In June when the iPhone 3GS came out I used a credit card to buy it PAYG. I then put a contract SIM card in it. O2 do a Simplicity SIM with 'unlimited' internet access and 600 mins/1000 texts (or something like that) for only £20 a month with a one month notice to quit. Quite a bargain! If you do the maths, comparing an 18month contract with a PAYG iPhone and Simplicity SIM, the Simplicity route works out considerably cheaper over an 18 month period. What's more, you're not tied in and can buy the new iPhone in June 2010. You would get a good price on the 3GS too.
    Certainly with you there on the contract v PAYG issue. Especially now with contracts moving away from a manageable 12 months to a stupid 18 months to the sublimely ridiculous 24 months. Who wants to be locked into a contract for two years when the handset will be out of date within six months?

I'm currently on an 18 month contract, it will be my last contract. You can now get SIM only PAYG deals where, for £10 a month you get unlimited texts and unlimited internet and that's where I'll be heading when the contract expires.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread