+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, 50 MB Broadband :) in General; ...
    Thank Post

50 MB Broadband :)

So there i am, surfing away when I catch a glimpse of Virgin 50mb offer. I think its not available yet and enter my postcode and its here
    So there I am, on the virgin payment and package screen, looking to see what body parts I have to sell to get this and it looks like its quite good. There is somthing about a phone line needed and so I think there is the catch.
    So there I am, on the phone to Lovely Carol. She clicks away and says an upgrade from 20mb to 50mb will cost me £1 less than im currently paying. Thats everything the same as I have now plus the upgrade with no extra costs right. Yup.

I have a pay a upgrade fee of £30, but in return they will give me 2 months BB for free.

So there I am with a big smile on my face waiting for them to call on Wednesday to install the big beefy modem and give me a free router.

Sorted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That'll teach me for living in ruralsville! I'm lucky to hit 6Mbps down here now.

Thank Post

Thumbs down

I dont need the extra, but if its cheaper than what im paying then bring it on.
    I like that they are not automatically upgrading, like they did 2 to 10 or 10 to 20. This will keep the uptake lower.

I regullaly max out my connection when pulling large ISO's and packages from MS or linux images, which is at 2.2MB. Theory is I should be pulling 5MB once the upgrade has been done and if I can max out over 4MB ill concider that a result.

Once I get it i will do some tests and see if its all as good as its supposed to be and post here.

The unlimited online storage is quite appealing, and it will be used.

Just had an email from VM, and tbh is the icing on the cake.

"Traffic management: the key facts

* Traffic management applies to our M, L and XL packages, but not XXL
    * Over 95% of our customers are unaffected by traffic management, since we only look at traffic from the top 5% of users each day - the top 3% of downloaders and top 3% of uploaders (with some overlap, this amounts to just under 5% of all our users).
    "
    Looks like the upstream is doubled as well.

Virgin Media Broadband:Traffic management - & Traffic management
    G

Last edited by Galway; 13th December 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am going to have to ring up and chat with someone as even though I am on L (actually the smallest broadband package) I have been offered 3 prices online to upgrade to XL ... and even offered a cost of £14 to upgrade to L!

Then again, it is rare that we need anything more as most of my downloading / uploading is done at work ... but if there is no real increase on cost then I am interested ... going to XXL will cost a fair bit and I can't justify that for the little I would use it for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I am going to have to ring up and chat with someone as even though I am on L (actually the smallest broadband package) I have been offered 3 prices online to upgrade to XL ... and even offered a cost of £14 to upgrade to L!

Then again, it is rare that we need anything more as most of my downloading / uploading is done at work ... but if there is no real increase on cost then I am interested ... going to XXL will cost a fair bit and I can't justify that for the little I would use it for.
    You're just jealous of my mentioning mine at lunch yesterday

Thank Post
    Bah... waiting for FTTC to hit armley to upgrade my 2Mb (and the 2x24, 8 + 2 we have at the office). Meanwhile i've got 20Mb virgin whilst dogsitting the brother-in-law's dogbeast.

Thank Post
    I love my speed also 50mb im on the xl package so i automatically get upgraded to the bigger speed when they upgrade.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread