+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Printing Costs in General; Good Morning Everyone, I'm wondering if you could help me with some information about printing - I've been asked by ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Printing Costs

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm wondering if you could help me with some information about printing - I've been asked by the Head here to collect some data as we are going to overspend on the consumables budget this year (and it's going to be an awful lot more than last year by the time we get to April).

All I'm after is your approximate expentiture on Printer cartridges during last year, the amount of Pupils & Staff that are in your School and if possible the amount of pages printed - then I can work out the cost per head and compare it to Fosse Way. I don't have any print management software here, but I do log printing. Currently I've spent around 4000 on cartridges - we have about 250 people on site (Ouch!).

Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Ben

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Good Morning Everyone,

I'm wondering if you could help me with some information about printing - I've been asked by the Head here to collect some data as we are going to overspend on the consumables budget this year (and it's going to be an awful lot more than last year by the time we get to April).

All I'm after is your approximate expentiture on Printer cartridges during last year, the amount of Pupils & Staff that are in your School and if possible the amount of pages printed - then I can work out the cost per head and compare it to Fosse Way. I don't have any print management software here, but I do log printing. Currently I've spent around 4000 on cartridges - we have about 250 people on site (Ouch!).

Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Ben
    We have 1300 Pupils 200 Staff

We spent 13689.25 on consumables: projector pulbs, tonor, twin graphics cards, printer ribbons etc.

just on tonor 10575.99

We use Print Limit Pro (by netop)

3. Thanks to AIT from:

Mr.Ben (11th December 2009)

Thank Post
    I'm not going to share what we actually spend on consumables, as I don't think that is entirely relevant or appropriate, but I will tell you some ways which we have reduced it.

Printer credit software is absolutely the way to go. When we first implemented it, everyone was given 150 credits per half term, and loads of people ran out. They now have 60 credits, and the only people who run out are Y7 (not familiar with it) and Y11 (coursework). The financial saving from that sort of volume reduction is enormous!

This sounds a bit patronising, but teach people how to print. 1) Proof-read on screen, 2) only print if you really need it, 3) use Print Current Page function to only print what is relevant 4) use Print Preview to see how many pages something is, especially when printing Excel and web sites, 5) print a single page and photocopy as needed. Get these guidelines printed out really big and stick them on the walls. You say you log printing, so look for persistent "offenders" and remind them personally of the printing best practice.

Also considering moving to more cost-effective printers, and, as far as is possible, get inkjet printers out of the classrooms, even if only to the corridor outside or a nearby office.

You may want to look at compatible cartridges in older printers, but be cautious as some are awful quality.

Also, how about re-using duff or unclaimed print-jobs as scrap paper in the classrooms, rather than having people scrawl notes or scribble on a new sheet each time?

Thank Post
    1000 pupils. 100 FTE staff, we spent 9100 last academic year on printing through the network printers.

6. Thanks to Linfit from:

Mr.Ben (11th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread