+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Public sector employees to get ripped off, again in General; I watched question time last night and was shocked when a member of the audience stated that her son - ...

Thank Post
    I watched question time last night and was shocked when a member of the audience stated that her son - who is in Afghanistan on the front line...as a PVT, only earns 1216 a month. Has to pay NI and tax too!! I earn that much and sit in a nice warm safe office to work.

It kinda put things into perspective for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I totally agree with this, my brother went to SA and got told to sleep with a bat!
    Pipistrelle or Brown long-eared?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTSM View Post
    I watched question time last night and was shocked when a member of the audience stated that her son - who is in Afghanistan on the front line...as a PVT, only earns 1216 a month. Has to pay NI and tax too!! I earn that much and sit in a nice warm safe office to work.

It kinda put things into perspective for me.
    The amount is not great, but remember that they do also get accommodation (the main living cost most of us have) for free at their base usually IIRC, as well as food. (Unless I am very much mistaken...)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The amount is not great, but remember that they do also get accommodation (the main living cost most of us have) for free at their base usually IIRC, as well as food. (Unless I am very much mistaken...)
    Hardly a comparison for those that put their lives on the line to protect us!

Thank Post
    Accommodation is not free, you pay a very subsidised amount for this. Food as well, circa 15 a week for food and around 7 a week for accommodation.

From experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Accommodation is not free, you pay a very subsidised amount for this. Food as well, circa 15 a week for food and around 7 a week for accommodation.

From experience.
    Ah, ok. Still, it is still cheap compared to normal accomodation and food. I live in 1 room and pay 360 a month.

Hardly a comparison for those that put their lives on the line to protect us!
    I did say it was low. But then, where do you draw the line?

Thank Post
    Ah, ok. Still, it is still cheap compared to normal accomodation and food. I live in 1 room and pay 360 a month.

True it's difficult to draw a line but I do feel they should be paid the same as a junior police office at least.

Thank Post

Well it may be a bit low, but the Navy, Army and RAF all have tiered Ranks that increase the pay scale.

The higher your rank the more you earn. That 1200 was more than likely a lower ranking member of the forces. Lets not forget their pay is topped up as well. They get paid 24 hours a day, even when sleeping your paid, 365 days a year. They get danger pay as well for the situation they're in.

I remember bringing home around 1400 a month after tax/ni/food/accommodation as an SAC, on deployment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Well it may be a bit low, but the Navy, Army and RAF all have tiered Ranks that increase the pay scale.

The higher your rank the more you earn. That 1200 was more than likely a lower ranking member of the forces. Lets not forget their pay is topped up as well. They get paid 24 hours a day, even when sleeping your paid, 365 days a year. They get danger pay as well for the situation they're in.

I remember bringing home around 1400 a month after tax/ni/food/accommodation as an SAC, on deployment.

So when back in the U.K they get paid in a 'standard' way e.g. 8 hours a day?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    So when back in the U.K they get paid in a 'standard' way e.g. 8 hours a day?
    Nope, still 24 hours a day, irregardless of location, you just lose deployment benefits, hazard benefits, and various other benefits.

The hourly rate is well below national minimum, but as a result of it being the MOD, and being paid 24 hours a day even on weekends, this equates to a normal wage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I spent 13 years in the army. When I left in 2000 as an NCO they guy who swept floors in McDonalds earnt more than I did, yet I was qualified to the eyeballs and in what was an 'upper' trade band. I commonly worked 15-20 hours a day (in the UK and at my job) yet you get no overtime. My trade at the time had appauling promotion prospects and it was an average of 14 years to make corporal. And you even had to pay council tax when deployed on operations at the time. And there is still a huge misconception that forces are exempt income tax etc. All forces members pay full tax, NI, food, and rent, juse as anyone else would and yet are exempt from minimum wage legislation!

12. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

ButterflyMoon (11th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I spent 13 years in the army. When I left in 2000 as an NCO they guy who swept floors in McDonalds earnt more than I did, yet I was qualified to the eyeballs and in what was an 'upper' trade band. I commonly worked 15-20 hours a day (in the UK and at my job) yet you get no overtime. My trade at the time had appauling promotion prospects and it was an average of 14 years to make corporal. And you even had to pay council tax when deployed on operations at the time. And there is still a huge misconception that forces are exempt income tax etc. All forces members pay full tax, NI, food, and rent, juse as anyone else would and yet are exempt from minimum wage legislation!

I thought above it was stated that they don't pay full food and rent, I'm not saying it make the pay good or anything just is that correct?

Thank Post
    You don't pay full food and rent, perhaps previously you had to. I left end of 2007 after 3 years in the RAF Regiment.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    you can leave after 3years?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    you can leave after 3years?
    Yes. If you don't you have to stay another 6 years until 9 years service have passed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast