+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, So what are we? in General; E ducational D ynamic U nprejudiced (towards non IT folks) G lorious E soteric E ccentric K nowledgeable...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Educational
    Dynamic
    Unprejudiced (towards non IT folks)
    Glorious
    Esoteric
    Eccentric
    Knowledgeable

Thank Post
    The sales side of things or how the sales/marketing people relate to the site is not really something i worry about. I guess that is for the guys who run the site to do the worrying in order to pay their bills and wages. On the other hand though, the commercial deals also add options for some who like to communicate with their suppliers through the forum. Not how i work myself but definitely works for some on here by the rave reviews about certain sales people.

I think Edugeek is a success because the access to like minded technical people is freely available and would not work under a subscription based approach. The beauty of it is that people come here with no strings and can contribute or not. The site will prosper because even lurkers will pass on details to friends and colleagues.

I guess i am saying there is an Edugeek from the school techies point of view and how they see it and also an Edugeek from a commercial point of view. I like the techies side myself. I do not think of it as an organisation or something that i work or belong to. To me it is a great place to read some moans and grumbles when you are feeling stressed yourself and it makes you realise you are not alone. Problems shared and all that.

Strapline is good though "The educational IT professionals life line".

3. Thanks to dalsoth from:

CPLTD (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Ok ... one I missed of my list ... EG is also a Book Club.
    ... GD... where else do we come for advice about ironing too!

Thank Post
    As Winston Churchill once said;

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Classrooms,
    we shall fight in the corridors and passages,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the server room, we shall defend our network, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight in the ICT Suites,
    we shall fight on the offices,
    we shall fight on the playing fields and in the playground,
    we shall fight in the forums;
    we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this web site or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the classrooms, armed and guarded by the IT Technicians, would carry on the struggle, until, in Edugeeks's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

and of course the famous;

Never in the field of IT conflict was so much owed by so many users to so few technicians.

6. 4 Thanks to alan-d:

elsiegee40 (9th December 2009), EvLPhenom (9th December 2009), Netman (10th December 2009), tmcd35 (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "The hidy-hole for people who should be fixing computers..."

... where's my prize?

8. 3 Thanks to GREED:

powdarrmonkey (15th December 2009), SimpleSi (9th December 2009), tmcd35 (18th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    We are actually catching them up in the net rankings! They are 24,547 and we are 39,287, we were 120,000-ish this time last year.
    We're actually now at 39,244 so Firefox tells me Go growth!!

I must admit I found it hard to explain to my place what it was, we are so many things, but all I know is were great (oh rats thats taken already ) I know that I wouldn't be without Edugeek its certainly a life line on many things.

Thank Post
    Members come to seek IT advice and help re: education
    They stay to provide advice and help on stuff they know
    They keep hearing this weird hotel California tune every time they try to shutdown the browser

Rinse and repeat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Could be wrong but I think the real question is what aren't we ?

I would say that its for educational IT people to exchange information / knowledge through a forum hence edugeek ( for the most part ) as obviously there are people like myself who don't work for edu sector anymore.

How's that ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought we made mugs with humorous phrases on....?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I thought we made mugs with humorous phrases on....?
    Nah "we are mugs" who have a notion to write "humorous phrases" to expel the myth that all computer geeks are "Humourless" hehe!!

14. Thanks to bossman from:

alan-d (10th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Playing devil advocate for a moment though. If you were to take the forums out of the equation what would be left of interest on this site?
    Good question, and one that you in the US don't get to see much of. EduGeek is far bigger than just the forums and the site. We provide advice and guidence on educational IT matters toi the UK govt via various departments and quangos, we host free evenst throughout the year for our members and we write magazine articles to help our fellow professionals. We provide a valubel link between industry and the education sector with close links to all of the major IT companies. You are quite new to EduGeek, and you will find after a while that we work in subtle ways over large areas. The forums are just a front end to this, and with teh BETT show coming up it allows us the opportunity to buy our members pizza, meals and beer as well as just saying 'Thank you' to them when they pop by the stand.
    We hope to be getting more involved in the States over the coming year, but boy! Is it a hard place to get people to interact with us from. With over half of our international traffic coming from there it is just so hard to get regulars on the site! It seems that they are suspicious of free things and sites that don't pimp their personal info to the highest bidder!

16. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

vikpaw (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Good question, and one that you in the US don't get to see much of. EduGeek is far bigger than just the forums and the site. We provide advice and guidence on educational IT matters toi the UK govt via various departments and quangos, we host free evenst throughout the year for our members and we write magazine articles to help our fellow professionals. We provide a valubel link between industry and the education sector with close links to all of the major IT companies. You are quite new to EduGeek, and you will find after a while that we work in subtle ways over large areas. The forums are just a front end to this, and with teh BETT show coming up it allows us the opportunity to buy our members pizza, meals and beer as well as just saying 'Thank you' to them when they pop by the stand.
    We hope to be getting more involved in the States over the coming year, but boy! Is it a hard place to get people to interact with us from. With over half of our international traffic coming from there it is just so hard to get regulars on the site! It seems that they are suspicious of free things and sites that don't pimp their personal info to the highest bidder!
    Or they just don't like our sense of humour!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information