+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, So what are we? in General; Originally Posted by RingOfFlame Playing devil advocate for a moment though. If you were to take the forums out of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Playing devil advocate for a moment though. If you were to take the forums out of the equation what would be left of interest on this site?
    There's still the Wiki.

But yes, you're right, it's the forum that brings us all together.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Just side tracking and speaking personally for a moment:
    I certainly don't have a passion for IT !! In fact I hate most aspects of it.
    I'm certainly not a professional [ as that has been mentioned a few times ] - I've only been working in IT for 20 years, maybe in another 10 or so I may give that title to myself.
    Interested ? Not really, only the history of IT is interesting to me. Certainly a good resource though !!
    MAttx , you seriously cant tell me you dont have a passion for IT fella, I dont believe it, if anything your more addicted than me and i spend half my life on here lol IT includes surfing utube for crazy and interesting vids ect lol

Thank Post
    Edugeek: You come for the advice, but stay for the arguments.
    No we don't (stay for the arguements that is )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    MAttx , you seriously cant tell me you dont have a passion for IT fella, I dont believe it, if anything your more addicted than me and i spend half my life on here lol IT includes surfing utube for crazy and interesting vids ect lol
    Not anymore - used to - even thinking of knocking being a school Gov head on the head now. As well as chairing the EPM, being a ICT link Gov and doing the website [ which needs a serious make over ] I just find the whole ICT 'thing' boring. I enjoy reading books in regards to the history but other than that I just can't be bothered with it all. I've seen both sides of ICT, been involved in massive projects [ last job ], installing various networks - even radio automated playout systems but I think after a while it just becomes a job. If I could do something else tomorrow - which pays the same I would certainly jump ship. I have to admit I love utube etc but I love anything that's entertaining or funny which takes my mind off the crapness of it all !! [ even if its only for 5 mins !! ] \RANT OVER.....
    I'll get back to my Book now - Electronic Brains - which I have to say is rather good if anyones interested......

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Brains-Stories-Dawn-Computer/dp/0309096308]Amazon.com: Electronic Brains: Stories from the Dawn of the Computer Age (9780309096300): Mike Hally: Books[/ame]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not anymore - used to - even thinking of knocking being a school Gov head on the head now. As well as chairing the EPM, being a ICT link Gov and doing the website [ which needs a serious make over ] I just find the whole ICT 'thing' boring. I enjoy reading books in regards to the history but other than that I just can't be bothered with it all. I've seen both sides of ICT, been involved in massive projects [ last job ], installing various networks - even radio automated playout systems but I think after a while it just becomes a job. If I could do something else tomorrow - which pays the same I would certainly jump ship. I have to admit I love utube etc but I love anything that's entertaining or funny which takes my mind off the crapness of it all !! [ even if its only for 5 mins !! ] \RANT OVER.....
    I'll get back to my Book now - Electronic Brains - which I have to say is rather good if anyones interested......

Amazon.com: Electronic Brains: Stories from the Dawn of the Computer Age (9780309096300): Mike Hally: Books
    Mattx , your posts are entertaining, controversial, and at times unreal, these are things that keep forums ticking chap , IT or ICT is not just the problems in technology but also the fun in technology which I think you harness bud once thats gone IT becomes boring

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Mattx

Have you read [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Wizards-Stay-Up-Late/dp/0684832674]Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet: Amazon.co.uk: Katie Hafner, Matthew Lyon: Books[/ame] ? A good read if you fancy it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Read that twice !! A good read - loved the story behind E-mail.

Some other good ones:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hackers-Computer-Revolution-Steven-Levy/dp/0141000511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313499&sr=1-1"]Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution: Amazon.co.uk: Steven Levy: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Drive-Making-Microsoft-Empire/dp/0887306292/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313156&sr=1-5"]Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire: Amazon.co.uk: James Wallace, Jim Erickson: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masters-Doom-Created-Transformed-Culture/dp/0749924896/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313195&sr=1-6"]Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture: Amazon.co.uk: David Kushner: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartbomb-Quest-Entertainment-Videogame-Revolution/dp/1565125452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313226&sr=1-1"]Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution: Amazon.co.uk: Heather Chaplin, Aaron Ruby: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-History-Video-Games/dp/0761536434/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c"]The Ultimate History of Video Games: Amazon.co.uk: Steven L. Kent: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joystick-Nation-J-C-Herz/dp/0349107238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313265&sr=1-1"]Joystick Nation: Amazon.co.uk: J.C. Herz: Books[/ame]

And just to break that up - last week I read:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rude-Kids-Unfeasible-Story-Viz/dp/0007190964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260313409&sr=1-1"]Rude Kids: The Unfeasible Story of "Viz": Amazon.co.uk: Chris Donald: Books[/ame]

Which is pant wetting funny.......[ I grew up with Viz ]
    Last edited by mattx; 9th December 2009 at 12:05 AM.

8. Thanks to mattx from:

witch (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    Mattx , your posts are entertaining, controversial, and at times unreal, these are things that keep forums ticking chap , IT or ICT is not just the problems in technology but also the fun in technology which I think you harness bud once thats gone IT becomes boring
    Unreal posts ? Me ? Naaaaaaa....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok ... one I missed of my list ... EG is also a Book Club.

Really EG is a community that get together to share, discuss, advise, heatedly discuss, develop and primarily via online means such as the forum, wiki, IM, PM but also by phone, F2F, conferences, and local meets. The main areas are relevant to IT support and Management, mainly in the education sector but relevant to many others (including banking, health care, HM Forces, etc). Although based and originally targeting the UK, it now covers anywhere in the world that has a net connection (and can read or translate from English I suppose).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Dos_Box:

What about "The IT Oracle" a fountain of professional IT wisdom in a box.
    that a definition of Grumbledook, not the whole of EduGeek, the collective is even better than that!

Thank Post
    @mattx / grumbledook et al - read Underground ? free ebook, really good history of the origins of hacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_(book)

13. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

GrumbleDook (9th December 2009), mattx (9th December 2009)

Thank Post

What i said to some people at BETT:

"An online IT community working specifically for educational professionals, providing support and expertise completely free of charge."

It might be good to add, something about ' over 20,000 users representing x thousand schools in the UK and overseas and y of the top 20 IT companies '

That should capture anyone's attention.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 9th December 2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: apostrophe

Thank Post
    @Vikpaw
    That does explain EduGeek certainly, but to marketing/sales people doesn't explain that the service is for and by members of the community. Which then deepens the perplexity of just why those members should give so freely of, what is a chargeable and marketable commodity, namely their expertise and experiences.

Me, I'm just glad it's here, the community strap line says it all - but then I would say that

Thank Post
    @leco - granted, but, succintly that should be enough to encourage anyone interested party to ask for more info along whatever lines they are thinking. a sales person is going to suffer from tunnel vision and not be too bothered about who it's for or by, but you can get their attention by mentioning the other top names, and the sheer numbers of users they can access.

perhaps we could add in a word like "co-operative", even though we don't all own a share.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Well, that's mrwITch's Christmas presents sorted!
    What is Edugeek?
    Magic!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information