+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Online Storage in General; I'm starting to look at an online storage facility to give me a secondary backup for my most important files. ...
    richard_s

Online Storage

I'm starting to look at an online storage facility to give me a secondary backup for my most important files. I have seen a few things such as Windows Live Sky Drive which is free and Carbonite which is a paid for service but would like to hear from anyone here first who has used any of these services or any others for that matter before I commit to a solution.

Thank Post
    How big are your important files? 500MB? A gig? 2? More?

For really super-important files (as in, I'm completely and utterly screwed if I lose these) I use a 200mb truecrypt volume on Dropbox (Dropbox - Home - Secure backup, sync and sharing made easy.) which syncs to all my personal machines.

I also use it for useful and interesting stuff I want on all machines (how-tos, manuals, wallpaper, bookmarks, etc).

I'm using the free version (2GB limit) and it works on Linux, Windows and OSX.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    How big are your important files? 500MB? A gig? 2? More?

For really super-important files (as in, I'm completely and utterly screwed if I lose these) I use a 200mb truecrypt volume on Dropbox (Dropbox - Home - Secure backup, sync and sharing made easy.) which syncs to all my personal machines.

I also use it for useful and interesting stuff I want on all machines (how-tos, manuals, wallpaper, bookmarks, etc).

I'm using the free version (2GB limit) and it works on Linux, Windows and OSX.
    I have in the region of 5GB of really important files mainly pictures but also letters and emails, along with some work stuff which is also stored at work but I want to make sure that I have access to it in event of a disaster at work.

Thank Post
    The drop box app is annoying me as it wont let me select a decent path. By default it choose my docs which is on a DFS path and works fine. If I try and choose a different DFS path it wont have it and it wont accept a network drive grrr!

Thank Post

Carbonite

I have used Carbonite and its saved me in a disaster had a raid volume get screwed up and all the data was gone

rebuild machine new disks and installed Carbonite then waited 2 days and nights (had backed it all up except the OS was over 40gb) so after a very worring weekend it was all back and i lost nothing.

I never bother backing up my own stuff as its on my home laptop , work laptop and memory sticks but this system was used for some website work i had done for a a few local companies so was very glad i wasnt lost well worth the money.

richard_s
    I haveto admit that the Carbonite option does look good but I would like to to be access the files from anywhere and I am not sure if you can do that with it.

Thank Post
    I just gave BackBlaze a go recently but didn't like it as it didn't seem to very reliable in telling me how far the backup had gone each day and I decided that if it couldn't do that right then maybe I wouldn't trust it to have my files available when I needed them!

I love Dropbox (I've actually pay real money each month for the 50GB option!) but I use this as a file sync tool across all my servers.

regards

Simon
    PS @Chris - maybe worth experimenting with hard links - no idea what they are but saw somethining on T'internet about them

Thank Post
    Online Backup - IDrive - Remote Data Backup - For Windows and Mac - IDrive Portable Hard Drive
    2gb free, free software/web management, £3ish for 150gb
    Use it both personally and at work.
    Although this would be more for a regular backup as opposed to a briefcase of various files.

Thank Post
    Jungle Disk through Amazon S3. You only pay for what you upload. If you dont upload one month then you dont pay anything . . .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread