+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Setup Program 'Detects When Licence Has Not Actually Been Read' in General; This didn't seem to fit anywhere else so here it is. The setup program can 'detect' that although the 'I ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 887 Posts
    Blog Entries

Setup Program 'Detects When Licence Has Not Actually Been Read'

This didn't seem to fit anywhere else so here it is.

The setup program can 'detect' that although the 'I accept the licence' box has been ticked the terms of the licence have not actually been looked at.

If this is a genuine screenshot and has not been altered/photoshopped the I am quite impressed. However it would make it a bit of a drag when installing multiple bits of software with the same technology included in the setup routine.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to know just how many people read any EULA. The bottom line is: I need the software and it can't be installed without accepting the EULA. Well, I guess that the clever reverse engineering folks can bypass it (just as they can bypass activation keys, time-limited demonstration installations etc.) but the majority of us here don't have the intention or experience to use such techniques.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Ive got a couple of programs that won't let you accept the EULA unless you have scrolled down and ticked a box at the bottom of it (so now I know i just do ctrl+end and voilla), but do recall one ages ago that didn't allow you to click the accept box for about 30 second which was long enough to have read it fully (was only a short EULA).

Thank Post
    Scrolling to the end of the EULA, waiting a minimum period of time to click "Next" etc. don't mean that the EULA has been read. I suppose one way to confirm it would be to have a series of MCQs at the end (that have to be passed) to check if the user has actually read the EULA!

At the end of the day (I do hate clichés), surely it's only a legal formality included by the software company? We all have to face EULAs and I don't know of anyone who's decided not to use a particular piece of software specifically due to what's included in, or excluded from, the EULA.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Every time they release a patch on WoW, you have to scroll through an EULA, then another EULA, then another EULA (wha-?) then a list of reasons they can freely ban you from the service before finally getting to the login page. Luckily you only need to do this once (four times? ).

At least until the next patch...

And can't you skip the EULA with silent .MSI installs on some software by telling it to auto accept?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I object to this accusatory practice on the grounds that it discriminates against speed readers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread