Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Motorcycle Insurance in General; Got a few quotes earlier for bike insurance. Had the usual 270+ from Bennetts and a few other sites. Got ...
    Thank Post

Motorcycle Insurance

Got a few quotes earlier for bike insurance. Had the usual 270+ from Bennetts and a few other sites. Got a quote for 129.17 through ComparetheMarket.com from Swinton, which I was gonna buy until the guy phoned.

He asked me what I thought and I gave the usual, "It's a good quote but I'll shop around to see if I can get it cheaper...".

To which he responds (in a fairly abrasive manner), "Well I'm surprised your not buying it straight away"

I then got some more quotes and was then phoned buy a guy from CIA Insurance who had quoted me 169 online. He asked the usual questions like who my best quote was with etc... Then he went away and quoted me 130 with cover to ride anyone elses bike 3rd party.

To me this was a no brainer. Lovely customer service and a decent quote, so I paid straight away. So in conclusion I shall ask, has anyone else had similar experiences where they have gone elsewhere and maybe paid a little more for good customer service?

P.S. UP YOURS SWINTON

Thank Post
    I use Carole Nash, like having the "free" break down cover which I've used twice this year already!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ict_support View Post
    I use Carole Nash, like having the "free" break down cover which I've used twice this year already!!
    Yes punctures grr...........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ict_support View Post
    I am covered for breakdown through my bank account with Halifax, which came in handy when I crashed last year. Although it would have been better if the silly woman on the phone could have found my location. I crashed just off a fairly big roundabout right next to a road sign and she still could find me. Was potentially my fault for crashing and being in shock though, so can't blame some nice little lady in a nice cosy office for not having a clue how to take directions from me. Grrr. Lol.

Thank Post
    I recently change my bike from a little CBF250 to a F650GS. Rang the insurers (Hastings) who said no problem but there will be a charge of 45, of which 25 is an admin fee!

25 for a cover note and a three minute conversation? I hate insurers.

Thank Post

Insurance......

Here is a little stoey about insurers just trying to get away with things!!

My brother was involved in a accident on his motorbike on the East Lancs on the way into Manchester..... He was ring along...the traffic was slowing so luckily he only going about 20 mph...and a pedestrian walked out in front of him...chris hit him. the guy walked away with out a scratch and my brother ended up in hispital for the day, luckily he was not hurt, just shocked more than anything!

So it was all sorted with the police..my brother was not to blame..but had to claim on his own insurance so ended up having to sell his bike cos the insurance was to high.

Then last month he gets a letter from an insurance company saying that the guy that walked out infront of him had bounced of his bike into another car.....causing 2k worth of damage (how, when he was not hurt i don't know!). they were demand chris paid or they would take him to court...so knowing that he was not at fault..he told them he would see them in court!! after about a week of making him sweat the insurance company rang him and told him they would drop the case as he was obviously not to blame and that the claim would not stand up in court!!

Just wonder how many people see a letter like that and just pay it!!

7. 2 Thanks to Tcsltd:

ButterflyMoon (3rd December 2009), mrtechsystems (3rd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Another vote for Carole Nash - mine is around 250 quid fully comp for my 650.
    Don't talk to me about punctures.......

Plus when I had my last accident [ knocked off by a by a dodgy mini cab driver ] they took him to the cleaners.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Another vote for Carole Nash - mine is around 250 quid fully comp for my 650.
    Don't talk to me about punctures.......

Plus when I had my last accident [ knocked off by a by a dodgy mini cab driver ] they took him to the cleaners.....
    Ditto on all counts except the price and bike. I have 2 bikes, a 1979 SR650 and a 2002 FJR1300. 300ukp fully comp. Includes full EU breakdown cover and we tour each year.

Accident support is superb - twice in 12 years with them.

I have an issue with anyone who gives me a price and then rings back with a better one. Make SURE you get their name then: "If that was your best price why did you not give it me first time? Your methods of doing business really stink and I will NEVER buy from you based on this conversation. Could you confirm how I spell your name? Which address do I write to to complain about your sharp practice, your failure to do your job properly and explain why you have managed to lose your company business?"

I tend to enjoy that part of it

On the subject of Swinton they have just been done by the FSA for sharp practice over offering PPI with policies. Click here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Bennets are actually the cheapest for me at the moment! but in the past they have quoted me double what others did. I think the way forward is to shop around everytime, there always seem to be better deals for new customers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread