+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Top 10 things ICT Support would like you to know. in General; ...
    Thank Post

Top 10 things ICT Support would like you to know.

Posted number 10 in another thread but wasnt sure if this had been posted here before. So here it is in all of it's glory!

1. If you ask me technical questions please donít argue with me because you donít like my answer. If you think you know more about the topic, why ask? And if Iím arguing with youÖitís because I am positive that I am correct, otherwise Iíd just say ďI donít knowĒ or give you some tips on where to look it up, I donít have the time to just argue for the sake of it.
    2. Starting a conversation by insulting yourself (i.e. ďIím such an idiotĒ) will not make me laugh, or feel sorry for you; all it will do is remind me that yes, you are an idiot and that I am going to hate having to talk to you. Trust me; you donít want to start a call that way.
    3. I am ok with you making mistakes, fixing them is my job. I am not ok with you lying to me about a mistake you made. It makes it much harder to resolve and thus makes my job more difficult. Be honest and we can get the problem resolved and continue on with our business.
    4. There is no magic ďFix itĒ button. Everything takes some amount of work to fix, and not everything is worth fixing or even possible to fix. If I say that you just need to re-do a document that you accidentally deleted 2 months ago, please donít get mad at me. Iím not ignoring your problem, and itís not that I donít like you; I just canít always fix everything.
    5. Not everything you ask me to do is ďurgentĒ. In fact, by marking things as ďurgentĒ every time, you almost ensure that I treat none of it as a priority.
    6. You are not the only one who needs help, and you usually donít have the most urgent issue. Give me some time to get to your problem, it will get fixed.
    7. Emailing me several times about the same issue in the same day is not only unnecessary, itís highly annoying. Emails will stay until I delete them, I wonít delete them until Iím done with them. I will typically respond as soon as I have a useful update. If it is an urgent issue, let me know (see number 5).
    8. Yes, I prefer email over telephone calls. It has nothing to do with being friendly, itís about efficiency. It is much faster and easier for me to list out a set of questions that I need you to answer than it is for me to call and ask you them one by one. You can find the answers at your leisure and while Iím waiting I can work on other problems.
    9. Yes, I seem blunt and rude. Itís not that I mean to, I just donít have the time to sugar coat things for you. I assume we are both adults and can handle the reality of a problem. If you did something wrong, I will tell you. I donít care that it was a mistake, because it really makes no difference to me. Donít take it personal, I just donít want it to happen again.
    10. And finally, yes, I can read your email, I can see what web pages you look at while you are at work, yes, I can access every file on your work computer, and I can tell if you are chatting with people on an instant messenger or chat room (and can also read what you are typing). But no, I donít do it. Itís unethical, Iím busy, and in all reality you arenít all that interesting. So unless I am instructed to specifically monitor or investigate your actions, I donít. There really are much more interesting things on the internet than you.

I've got this printed out on a nice A4 laminated sheet, we dont show staff this as they would rebel... but still provides good feelings during stressful days

2. 48 Thanks to stratisphere:

Abaddon (2nd December 2009), AJT1 (2nd December 2009), AlexB (3rd December 2009), andyturpie (3rd December 2009), AWicher (6th December 2009), Biccies (2nd December 2009), busby (2nd December 2009), ButterflyMoon (4th December 2009), CESIL (2nd December 2009), CHR1S (2nd December 2009), Chunky (4th December 2009), dalsoth (2nd December 2009), DanW (2nd December 2009), Devontechie (2nd December 2009), Diello (2nd December 2009), El_Nombre (7th December 2009), FragglePete (7th December 2009), Gatt (2nd December 2009), Gonk (2nd December 2009), GrumbleDook (2nd December 2009), jamesfed (2nd December 2009), joe90bass (3rd December 2009), krisd32 (2nd December 2009), leco (2nd December 2009), mac_shinobi (2nd December 2009), manc_techie (20th November 2012), maniac (2nd December 2009), mpe (2nd December 2009), mrtechsystems (5th December 2009), nephilim (2nd December 2009), pnlrogue1 (7th December 2009), riskyburden (2nd December 2009), Robot (4th December 2009), rosswilson (2nd December 2009), Simon_Gibbs (4th December 2009), siuko (2nd December 2009), skunk (3rd December 2009), sonofsanta (6th February 2012), SteveMC (3rd December 2009), Stuart_C (5th December 2009), Sylv3r (2nd December 2009), synaesthesia (2nd December 2009), teejay (2nd December 2009), tmcd35 (2nd December 2009), tsky (2nd December 2009), witch (2nd December 2009), ZeroHour (2nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Im sat in a school reading this, and find it to be the best thing ive read all week wouldn't you just love to print that off and laminate it and put it on the ict suite door.

Fantastic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stratisphere View Post
    I've got this printed out on a nice A4 laminated sheet, we dont show staff this as they would rebel... but still provides good feelings during stressful days
    Made me laugh with the "provides good feelings" bit. I can imagine you sitting there with a creased forehead after some teacher has stressed you out and then your desk draw starts to rattle a little and you slide it open to see the secret laminate that has been outlawed in schools. Reading it quietly a smile forms on your face and the good feelings are provided!! lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sent a copy to my boss asking if I can send it around, and I am being deadly serious

Thank Post
    Brilliant!!! Love it!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome post, rep++ and thanked

Thank Post
    I've had this ages, dont know why i didnt post it sooner! I'm afraid I cant claim credit for it, nor can I recall where I got it from

But yes, giving it a read I find tends to help calm things down and put them in to prospective I so wish I could send it out to all staff, but i'm well aware aside from a slight giggle from a few, a load of complaints from others, all in all it wouldnt make a difference. So i'm happy keeping it to our little office!

Thank Post
    I think that we can all relate to the OP.

There needs to be another one about how on hearing the words "It'll only take five minutes" results in the same kind of reaction as if you said "Hi, I have ebola-syphilis hybrid virus".

rad
    Thank Post
    Good one, will copy for our office!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's good but it's not all true :-)

No 1, for example - if you look at almost any of the longer threads here, you'll find plenty of examples of things where people really ought to say "I don't know" but they are just arguing for the sake of it (and that definitely includes me...)

Nos 2 and 3 just contradict each other; 3 says "be honest if you've made a mistake" but 2 says "don't start off by telling me you've made a mistake"

No 5, however, is absolutely spot on. I treat people who send me email with "important" flags attached as queue jumpers and quietly ignore them!

Thank Post
    Thank you! I like it.

Thank Post
    I can think of IT depts where practically none of those apply...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of my primaries suffers from staff who all label things as "URGENT" in their best red childrens-homework marking pens - and 95% of the time they are rather less urgent than the single daily toilet-break I attend. Most of them are a "nicety", many are just questions and some are absolutely ludicrous.

*URGENT* HUGE problem! There's no sound and I can't teach the curriculum!*URGENT*

Which actually translated to (yes, this is real)
    "I can't appear to listen to my favoured melodies via Last.FM since xyz software was installed"

So, a bit of a heads-down with the ICT Coordinator/bursar/administrator/dogsbody/does_everything_noone_else_will person and we had to come up with an "urgency" scale, 1-5 where 5 is impacting on daily curriculum teaching and 1 is a question or non-urgent query. As this is clearly headed "Impact on Curriculum" rather than "How urgent is your need to listen to Coldplay?" it appears to get through to people much easier. And so far it's actually working. For now :|

15. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

joe90bass (3rd December 2009)

Thank Post

Thumbs up

No 10 gave me a chuckle, this will be going on our office board

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    but 2 says "don't start off by telling me you've made a mistake"
    No it doesn't.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast