+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Vending Machines in General; Oh, forgot to mention - we provide milk also....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, forgot to mention - we provide milk also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Ironically Vending Machines were brought in to Factories and the like to prevent disagreements and time wasting over who paid for the milk etc.
    The factory I worked at priced the tea/coffee so low that we ended up doing rounds. One person did winge because they drank the 12p nescafe coffee and some other people drank the 14p kenco coffee.

This is before we get the people who went to the other side of the factory because the water was meant to be better over there. Oh and the one bloke who had to go to the one machine that sold Kenco really rich, not because he liked it, but because he was a Bristol Rover's supporter. This meant he couldn't drink coffee from a red cup.

Then there was the day the paint shop decided washers were legal tender.

And guess what this factory made?

Coffee vending machines.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 2nd December 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    I vaguely remember a discussion about this at our place, and it was looking very costly. NYCC County Caterers were asked and can price if you use them for the school catering which we do. I also looked on eBay for a machine to buy and there are loads on there for sale often with piles of "food" for them from firms as ex-rental and they can service etc. If your get one on contract the problem is they sell you the "food" for it at often inflated prices thus making huge profit if you own the machine and pay a yearly service charge you can buy the "food" from wherever you like instead and save money / make profit for you not the supplier.

Coffee Care in Skipton also gave us details on one I think but I could be wrong, I know we get all the fair trade tea and coffee (its foul IMHO) from them now.

Another place that I used to work had a Douwe Egberts machine and was good coffee in it, but was costly "sludge" to put in it but didn't make a bad cup either and you put a real mug under it not a paper cup! (similar to the ones you see at Motor Way services from them but smaller). Maybe worth a call to them.

We didn't get one in the end, we just have a water urn on the wall and all staff pay a set fee for tea / coffee / milk each term to the finance office job done.

4. Thanks to john from:

OverWorked (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    We've got a real coffee filter machine that the housekeeper keeps running so there's always fresh available and the school provides milk too. Honest!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    We've got a real coffee filter machine that the housekeeper keeps running so there's always fresh available and the school provides milk too. Honest!

Can I guess that you work in the Independent Sector by any chance? (not being snobish or anything or against them as I used to work in it!)

Thank Post
    Coffee from vending machines... ick. Get a household coffeemaker, replace it every year (£20pa on kit there) and buy your filter from coffee compass (Gourmet Coffee Supplier - Roasted Coffee Beans, Fair Trade Coffee, Green Coffee Beans, UK). Tea drinkers you say? Surely not

8. Thanks to tom_newton from:

OverWorked (9th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Coffee from vending machines... ick. Get a household coffeemaker, replace it every year (£20pa on kit there) and buy your filter from coffee compass (Gourmet Coffee Supplier - Roasted Coffee Beans, Fair Trade Coffee, Green Coffee Beans, UK). Tea drinkers you say? Surely not
    One cup of coffee in the morning, nice and strong, and then tea the rest of the day. I used to hate tea, however I finally realised I no longer have problems sleeping!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I finally realised I no longer have problems sleeping!
    I've cut coffee out for that reason. After weeks of palpitations and restless nights, I realised it was all the espresso's I was drinking during the day, not good!

Tea all the way for me now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    At a previous school they had a catering coffee filter machines and the kitchen staff would make 2 jugs of coffee when it was gone it was gone but it was free.

Currently the site manager and I run a filter coffee machine here for all of our needs.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    With coffee vending machiens unless you pay the really big bucks then most don't make the best drinks. What you want to aim for is one were every option is configurable to the end user since not everyone is the same.

If possible try and get a demo unit in for people to test.

Although i do know Coca-Cola Amtil do rental of the soda based vending machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    I've cut coffee out for that reason. After weeks of palpitations and restless nights, I realised it was all the espresso's I was drinking during the day, not good!

Tea all the way for me now!
    Try Cocoa, it has the opposite effect. Slumped over the desk in the afternoons.

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone!

I don't think a vending machine would be the answer. It wasn't a serious consideration anyway. It would be expensive for the school and unpopular with the staff.

At present we provide a hot water machine and milk only. Staff pay for the milk and provide their own tea/coffee/chocolate/soup/darjeeling/herb tea/decaff/ whatever.

Some staff don't pay for the milk but take it anyway. That's where the problem lies. I was going to threaten them with a vending machine, but it would just makes things worse.

It's human nature: what can you do?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12