+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, OFSTED "Right to Work" Evidence in General; ]to QUOTE from All schools and colleges / Safeguarding / FAQs / About us / Ofsted home / Ofsted - ...
    Thank Post
    ]to QUOTE from All schools and colleges / Safeguarding / FAQs / About us / Ofsted home / Ofsted - Ofsted

Q. Should schools and colleges retain documents that are evidence of identity? Previous advice indicated that schools and colleges should destroy this information.

A. This advice is correct.

Schools and colleges do not have to retain documents that are evidence of identity, once these documents have been verified and the single central register includes the name of the person who did so. However, please see the following FAQ on evidence of the right to work in the UK and the requirements of the UK Border Agency.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    . Whenever I apply for a job or pretty much anything, the amount of other documents which I have to hand over is ridiculous. Drivers License, Birth Certificate, bills, more bills, other ID cards, argh!
    That's why we should have ID cards :-)

I'm sort of joking (because I don't think the proposed scheme was particularly good) but lots of countries do have ID cards and seem to manage OK without massive civil liberties infringements and it does seem to make life easier for them. There ought to be some easy way I can prove to an employer, bank or whatever that I am who I claim to be and then some way they can check that I have a right to work in this country, drive a car, buy booze, keep guns and so on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    lots of countries do have ID cards and seem to manage OK without massive civil liberties infringements and it does seem to make life easier for them
    I agree with the above, and have no objections to the principle of centralised databases and ID cards - I like renewing my car tax online, and when Mrs Enjay applied for a driving licence recently, it saved some hassle to import her passport photo rather than mess around validating a new photo; I also like the additional "power" which the on-board cameras in Police cars have (e.g. alerting them they've just driven past a council tax evader). My concern is with the handling of the data, i.e. not entrusting it to organisations who have a history of losing such information and mailing non-encrypted hard drives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,628 Posts
    What bothers me is: how do you prove who you are if you don't have a passport and currently have an old-style driving licence with no pic? Obviously you might have other identification but none of it might be photographic. My elderly mother nearly had that problem all though she eventually found that she DID have a passport. The bank were very sniffy abouit taking other identification.
    As for Ofsted, both my schools have been done under the new framework, and both got 'good' - with one getting outstanding for safeguarding, and neither have a copy of my passport - only the number and evidence that two people saw it

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This *is* related to Ofsted, as the school is supposed to keep records of right to work, CRB etc... to prove that the safeguarding of children is being done correctly. If it isn't kept up to date and correct, it is an instant 'special measures' - just like if one of our security gates breaks, and we are inspected whilst it isn't fixed, that would be an instant fail too.
    I think you have to be careful, I'm not sure a broken security gate in itself will immediately fail a school. The school needs to show they are acting appropriately, if other measures are put into place temporarily they will still be safeguarding the children.

What the broken gate may do is cause the inspectors to investigate further other safeguarding issues/policies to see whether there are problems, its more of a possible indication that the school isnt doing as it should, rather than an immediate failure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I think you have to be careful, I'm not sure a broken security gate in itself will immediately fail a school. The school needs to show they are acting appropriately, if other measures are put into place temporarily they will still be safeguarding the children.
    My old school didn't and still doesn't have a gate - it's an outstanding school by offsted...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    My old school didn't and still doesn't have a gate - it's an outstanding school by offsted...
    Not having a gate is different to having one which is broken. If you normally have a locked gate then you might only have minimal (or no) access control on the doors, therefore when the gate breaks you are wide open. If, however, you've never had a gate, then you will have decent security on the doors.

Even if you have the security controls gate, it still depends whether you use them - I know of one school where you have to be "buzzed in" by Reception, however I hardly ever get challenged there, I just press the button and they let me in!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Not having a gate is different to having one which is broken. If you normally have a locked gate then you might only have minimal (or no) access control on the doors, therefore when the gate breaks you are wide open. If, however, you've never had a gate, then you will have decent security on the doors.
    no gate and no security - i could walk freely out onto main road... as could any other student. no fences between classrooms and the outside world.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123