+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, OFSTED "Right to Work" Evidence in General; i would have thought that they only need the passport number (from the new ones) thats all i needed to ...
    Thank Post
    i would have thought that they only need the passport number (from the new ones) thats all i needed to get my provisional driving lisence.... if its good enough to proove who i am and get another form of valid photo ID + the ability to drive on UK roads it should be good enough for a schools records

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    That's the question... are we forced to go with it? Can they legally require us to give them a copy of every page of our passport? At which point does their request to store information on us stop being a requirement.
    Its their responsibility to prove they ticked the boxes when you were employed.... HR drones of the world didnt and they are all playing catchup to laws they have not even read. Theres no legal requirement for you to provide this info, only for them to have the info when you were employed.....

They can't get fined for not collecting the information, they can only be fined if they were found to employ someone that cannot work in the UK.

A friend I know was threatened with this is a 'resonable company request' by HR and MD. Their head of HR kept saying it was law, however she refused to read the law when presented with it.... or listen to said friends reading the law out. Its not just us that use search engines to help with our jobs, it appears HR do the same.... shame they cant do it when they've unplugged the network cable.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 30th November 2009 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is what Lady Scotland was knabbed for. Basically your employer is supposed to keep a photocopy of your passport to prove you work otherwise they can be fined.
    See below as it mentions keeping a copy:
    BBC NEWS | Politics | Questions over attorney general

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    This is what Lady Scotland was knabbed for. Basically your employer is supposed to keep a photocopy of your passport to prove you work otherwise they can be fined.
    See below as it mentions keeping a copy:
    BBC NEWS | Politics | Questions over attorney general
    Post employment information collection is not a defence against this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Post employment information collection is not a defence against this.
    Probably not, no idea tbh,

A few more links:
    Checking a prospective worker's entitlement to work in the UK | Business Link
    UK Border Agency | Preventing illegal working - guidance documents for employers

I think they probably could ask for a copy tbh but there are other documents that can be used if a person does not have a passport.

6. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Andie (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    this is not a ofsted thing this is an immigration control thing because I had to do the same when I got a job in a supermarket a few years ago.

however if a school have failed to take the relevant legal checks then it is feasable that Ofsted could place them in a category as a result.

also it does not have to be a passport (I dont have one so cant show mine) Driving licence and birth certificate should cover you. (photo ID and proof of right to work). obviously if you are a non uk/EU/EEA/whatever citizen you would need to show that you have the relevant visa

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Our place is doing this as well, as we are expecting Ofsted, its panic stations all need passports, referneces for staff that started years ago being gathered again when they went missing, ticking boxes, crossing I's etc its craaazy!!!

As for no Passport, as another no-passport person it makes life harder for them they were OMG you don't have one, we better ask the LEA what we can do as thats the only thing on the list! I gave Driving Licence and a pile of bills, NI card and V5 for my Car I think that covered it all in the end.

Thank Post
    We had all this panic when we were Ofsted-ed about two years ago. Then it was CRB photocopies they were asking for, and threatening failure of inspection if we didn't do as they said. When our office asked for my CRB check to photocopy, I said I didn't think that was allowed, checked the CRB website and found that I was correct. The relevant web page was sent to Ofsted, and the CRBs that had been photocopied were shredded. All we needed was to prove that our employer had all of the CRB reference numbers on file.

I can't say for sure that this time round Ofsted are wrong, but... I would check the ICO links above, and I agree that it is the employer who needs proof of your right to work in the UK and not Ofsted. All the school should need to prove is that the employer has all the necessary records.

Thank Post
    I have had to come back to this issue. We were Ofted-ed in January, and no one asked us about photocopies of passports or similar. But it now seems other schools in the area are getting asked. I have just checked back over this thread, and looked in particular at the links from ZeroHour, which have been really helpful. I am attaching the booklet in pdf which I think is the most helpful. We are still getting a lot of mis-information from employement bodies here. The attached booklet tells you which pages of the passport need to be copied. Other documents, in the List A towards the back of the booklet, are acceptable as proof and not all have to have a photo on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OFSTED "Right to Work" Evidence-summaryguidance0208.pdf  

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This *is* related to Ofsted, as the school is supposed to keep records of right to work, CRB etc... to prove that the safeguarding of children is being done correctly. If it isn't kept up to date and correct, it is an instant 'special measures' - just like if one of our security gates breaks, and we are inspected whilst it isn't fixed, that would be an instant fail too.

Thank Post
    Are we in East Germany?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post

I'm sure that there was something that i signed when applying for my passport saying that it must not be photocopied under any circumstances.
    Some personal travel experience (and that of looking after youngsters) says ALWAYS photocopy your passport when travelling and make sure the copy is kept separate from the original. Passports are very attractive to theives - and the photocopy will help you when you go to the Embassy or High Commission to get a replacement or temporary one.

Thank Post
    I've just rung the home office (IPS) to ask if it's legal (photocopying a passport) and the response i got was... they haven't herd of this, it isn't illegal for them (employer) to request it, you don't have to provide it, they DONT recommend it and the number should be enough.

The guy on the phone also said thet he has done it before but he knew EXACTLY who had the copy and had it sent back to him to be destroyed.
    Last edited by mjs_mjs; 17th June 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

15. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

Gatt (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    interesting.. will keep that in mind next time I am asked to provide my passport for situations like this...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As for no Passport, as another no-passport person it makes life harder for them they were OMG you don't have one, we better ask the LEA what we can do as thats the only thing on the list! I gave Driving Licence and a pile of bills, NI card and V5 for my Car I think that covered it all in the end.
    I have exactly the same problem! I've not yet picked up a passport either... I've travelled around a lot but it was all before I was 16 and I simply travelled on my mum's passport. I don't see the point in having a passport when all you ever use it for is travelling and I'm too cheap to pay for a holiday, lol so I wont be needing one any time soon. Whenever I apply for a job or pretty much anything, the amount of other documents which I have to hand over is ridiculous. Drivers License, Birth Certificate, bills, more bills, other ID cards, argh!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast