+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Vinyl LP's to MP3 in General; Anyone done this? My dad would like to MP3 all of his vinyl I haven't done it before. I was ...
    Thank Post

Vinyl LP's to MP3

Anyone done this? My dad would like to MP3 all of his vinyl I haven't done it before. I was reading this record and copy vinyl to cd and mp3 site and it mentions the need for a USB sound card as his laptop won't have a line in socket. Can you get a phone to USB lead that would work or am I going to need a 3.5 to phone lead and a USB sound card?

It's a shame you can't just download the MP3's as he has already bought the copywrite.

Ideas?

Cheers.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 30th November 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Check the lappy - there are a very few that do have line in. You may also need to think about the amplification (probably goes into it on that site, but I can't get to it) there's some sort of consideration you need to make.

That said, last time I did it was with my main PC (which obviously has line in) and Audacity. "Recorded" the line in and then split it into tracks. Can't remember whether I took the feed direct from the deck or via the amp, I'm afraid.

That said, wouldn't one of those USB turntables make life a bit easier?

P.S. The ownership of vinyl originals does not currently confer the right to convert to mp3. (Just in case any music biz legal bods are checking).

Thank Post
    not done it but you can but you can buy usb turntables and usb cassette recorders from places like firebox that come with the software as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to do the odd tape to MP3. Always went from the tape players headphone socket to the PC/lappy mic socket. Then used Audacity to record the incoming sound.

Thank Post
    Just thought - a cheaper option that you might have access to anyway might be one of those Video to USB devices. They normally have right and left phono audio sockets. Again, you'd have to look at the amplification but it should work.

Worth a go if you have one/can borrow one.

Thank Post
    Depends on Money. USB turntables and Cassette decks are ok, but I invested in a NAD amp/Cd player for my PC at work that acts as normal Amplifier/DAB/CD player but also has inputs for Turntable/Cassette deck etc. It has a USB port, and will encode ANYTHING played through it straight to USB Flash Drive . It also will timer record DAB radio to Flash Drive as well. Think it was under £200.

Thank Post
    Just plug the lineout from his current setup into the linein of his laptop/usb soundcard.

These LP-MP3 things are alright i guess but its alot of money just to use once, and you will only be getting the cheapest motor, stylus, convertors, etc and they are generally only supplied with Audacity anyway. Id rather spend the money on a decent soundcard (maybe even with a pre-amp) and hook it up to my (persumable) far supirior setup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Just plug the lineout from his current setup into the linein of his laptop/usb soundcard.

These LP-MP3 things are alright i guess but its alot of money just to use once, and you will only be getting the cheapest motor, stylus, convertors, etc and they are generally only supplied with Audacity anyway. Id rather spend the money on a decent soundcard (maybe even with a pre-amp) and hook it up to my (persumable) far supirior setup.
    same here - I would get 3.5mm double ended audio cable and connect line out to the line in and just use the line in to record and convert them to mp3's - audacity or something ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andycat View Post
    Depends on Money. USB turntables and Cassette decks are ok, but I invested in a NAD amp/Cd player for my PC at work that acts as normal Amplifier/DAB/CD player but also has inputs for Turntable/Cassette deck etc. It has a USB port, and will encode ANYTHING played through it straight to USB Flash Drive . It also will timer record DAB radio to Flash Drive as well. Think it was under £200.
    My bad. Was £240+VAT. Been invaluable though for the multimedia side of things.

NAD Electronics :: C715 Compact Music Systems

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts

Thank Post
    @ SYSMAN_MK

He already has a turntable so I don't really want to buy another if I can help it as he doesn't really listen to them or buy them any more so it would quickly become redundant. I'll put the idea on the back burner though as it might be necessary.

Is it not possible to just get a phono to USB lead as his current turn table has a built in pre amp?

@ LeMarchand

P.S. The ownership of vinyl originals does not currently confer the right to convert to mp3. (Just in case any music biz legal bods are checking).
    Is that the same for CD's then? I thought it was ownership of the copywrite to play the music that counted not the format.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 30th November 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Is it not possible to just get a phono to USB lead as his current turn table has a built in pre amp?
    Play do this though I have a feeling that there needs to be some circuitry in there for it to work the way you want. Something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ LeMarchand

Is that the same for CD's then? I thought it was ownership of the copywrite to play the music that counted not the format.
    UK law does not currently allow you (with a few exceptions for education etc) to make copies, even back ups, of copyrighted audio CDs. AFAIK but IANAL the license allows you to play the CD to yourself and that's about it! Not that I've ever heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for transferring their media to another format and obviously there are plenty of devices/software to facilitate creating copies.

P.S. I wonder if those people who can't get the police to prosecute noisy neighbours might be better off reporting them to the music biz for unlicensed public performances of their music .
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 30th November 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    UK law does not currently allow you (with a few exceptions for education etc) to make copies, even back ups, of copyrighted audio CDs. AFAIK but IANAL the license allows you to play the CD to yourself and that's about it! Not that I've ever heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for transferring their media to another format and obviously there are plenty of devices/software to facilitate creating copies.
    I researched in to this a while back as part of something else (MS EULA's of all things). Any how, it's consoder a change of media. The same goes for VHS to DVD, NES game cart to rom image, scanning in an entire book to pdf, etc.

I'm pretty sure no one as been prosecuted for this. The record companies tend to go after the mass file sharers - a PR thing.

AFAIK the law as been under review for some time. Keeps getting pushed back in the agenda though...

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Copying CDs could be made legal (the last news story I've read on the subject from early 2008)

Edit: (personal opinion) This particular law has been a bit of an ass and in need of updating since the invention of the recordable cassette tape allowed home users to mix thier own compilation tapes from their existing LP collection.
    Last edited by tmcd35; 30th November 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    I have converted tapes to cd using audacity.

To remove the hiss follow this guide

Technology Made Easy: Removing Hiss with Audacity

Works a treat

Thank Post
    I don't know about you but I'd be pretty miffed a collection of my original CD's were stolen from my car.

The VHS to DVD thing bugs the hell out of me as well, tape wears out buy another copy. I've got rid of my videos now and bought the ones I really want on DVD, hey now I can rebuy them all on blue ray as well at least they're backwards compatible.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast