+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, McKinnon to get just deserts. in General; Lamest excuse ever for hacking. Now stop whingeing and go face your punishment like a man. Idiot. BBC News - ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries

McKinnon to get just deserts.

Lamest excuse ever for hacking. Now stop whingeing and go face your punishment like a man. Idiot.

BBC News - Computer hacker Gary McKinnon 'is facing a US trial'
    Last edited by tech_guy; 27th November 2009 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    He looks like an Alien himself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    all he did was:
    start > run > \\Nasa_server_name\c$
    then enter administrator with no password

it was a honeytrap, the guy was an idiot, but doesn't deserve prison in any county - let alone the us (the only state except for iran that executes children under 18)....
    Last edited by ChrisH; 27th November 2009 at 08:38 AM.

4. 4 Thanks to CyberNerd:

box_l (27th November 2009), Jon88 (27th November 2009), witch (27th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    all he did was:

it was a honeytrap, the guy was an idiot, but doesn't deserve prison in [i] any [/] county - let alone the us (the only state except for iran that executes children under 18)....
    Not a real hacker then, a proper one would have entered CMD in the run box used a net use command........

Last edited by mattx; 26th November 2009 at 10:41 PM.

6. 5 Thanks to mattx:

CESIL (27th November 2009), JJonas (27th November 2009), Martin (27th November 2009), Tricky_Dicky (27th November 2009)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    all he did was:

it was a honeytrap, the guy was an idiot, but doesn't deserve prison in [i] any [/] county - let alone the us (the only state except for iran that executes children under 18)....
    I think you'll find China, Iran and Burma have a pretty bad track record....

Thank Post
    Ignorance is well know not to be an excuse in law; is being a damned fool?

The US is overreacting, he should be punished, but not by 60 years!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seems like 8 years of extradition hearings, and having the rest of his life put in the balance by something which doctors have attributed to his condition is punishment enough to me. Maybe give him some community service but extradition and facing 60 years jail in a country with even more of a knee-jerk reaction to the word 'terrorism' than ours? That's just a tad overkill.

Considering murderers don't even get that much.
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th November 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Thank Post
    I agree that a prison sentence is well over the top,
    I think the US is just trying to make a bit of a scene out of the whole thing and make an example of him.
    I think the guy has been through enough persecution already, his life will never be the same as it was before.....
    And more to the point I can't see the US throwing someone out to be processed in our legal system; I donít see why we should do it for them...

Thank Post
    He committed an alleged crime whilst in the UK, so let him be tried (and if found guilty, punished) in the UK!

mb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    He committed an alleged crime whilst in the UK, so let him be tried (and if found guilty, punished) in the UK!

mb
    Welcome to the murky world of the interweb. It could be argued (they the americans probably do) that the crime itself was commited on US Soveriegn soil, so they have juristiction. Unless of course the pentigon are hosting their servers from a small warehouse in the docklands...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Blog Entries
    which they probably are! lol

TheLibrarian
    all he did was:
    @Cybernerd: Seriously, is that all he did? Can you link to any sites that show that?

If that is true, browsing an unsecure honeypot? And we (the British legal system) are prepared to roll over like a rolly-over thing and just hand him over to spend the rest of his life in a prison in a foreign country? This would make me ashamed to be British.

Would any other country hand over one of its citizens with so little fuss? I doubt it. More to the point, would the U.S. hand over one of its citizens to us if we just asked politely and got a funny handshake correct? I doubt that even more.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    @Cybernerd: Seriously, is that all he did? Can you link to any sites that show that?
    I heard a bbc radio interview with him a couple of years ago. That's what he claimed. I gues you can find it on interweb somewhere. I was pretty shocked back then, but thought it would come to nothing as it's so pathetic. Aparently there was no firewall, no admin password and all the 'damages' to the machines were due to the fact that the US had to pay to get them rebuilt by professionals (not squaddies)

16. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If that's the case, any potential trial in the US would be a farce also - the media would jump all over the fact that the machines were unsecured during a time of heightened security threat to the country.

I'd hope that it would be a fairly simple job to prove that what he did was a case of idiocy rather than a malicious threat.

The charges against him are that he accessed machines, and intentionally caused damage without authorisation. There is also mention, multiple times, that he deleted files that the computers needed to run. (Which it would be nice to see proof of).

Personally, it'd be good to see the various military organisations held to account for running so many internet connected unsecured computers! What are they playing at?!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Yes its absolutely ridiculous the charge of "hacking". To me hacking is breaking into a computer system for the purpose of stealing or doing something malicious. He was "scanning" Ips with an automated program.

He basically scanned a range of IP addresses looking for vulnerabilities, it used to be very easy to do this and the motivation was never to cause damage or anything political. This kind of activity was all the rage a couple of years ago when the universities had massive bandwidth backbones that could be easily compromised. Microsoft used to enable FTP by default on NT systems and so called hackers could easily scan a batch of IPs and find open ports to upload dumps to. There were entire "FXP" forums dedicated to it and thousands of people doing it simply for fun and because they could.

That fact that he scanned a military IP address was simply chance and to put it bluntly should have been secured better.
    Last edited by zag; 27th November 2009 at 10:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast