+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
General Chat Thread, Schools urged to get 'smarter' with procurement in General; ...
  1. #1

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    151

    Schools urged to get 'smarter' with procurement

    Seen on the BBC

    Schools Secretary Ed Balls says head teachers should install smart meters and negotiate better deals on cleaning, computers and desks

    BBC News - Schools urged to save power in £750m efficiency drive

    Shame about BSF then

  2. #2

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,682
    Thank Post
    755
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    Grr it's a bit like the new British Gas advert:

    They should also bring an end to estimated bills, because the technology can send back an accurate meter reading to energy companies every day.
    I do that without a smart meter it's called giving the energy company my actual readings wether they have read the meter or not, bills are not produced on a daily basis so daily meter readings don't accomplish much.

    Ben

  3. #3
    AyatollahPies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    900
    Thank Post
    48
    Thanked 105 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Seen on the BBC

    Schools Secretary Ed Balls says head teachers should install smart meters and negotiate better deals on cleaning, computers and desks

    BBC News - Schools urged to save power in £750m efficiency drive

    Shame about BSF then
    I completely misread that and thought you'd said Ed Balls says head teachers should negotiate better deals on cleaning computers.

  4. #4

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I completely misread that and thought you'd said Ed Balls says head teachers should negotiate better deals on cleaning computers.
    Cleaning computers will be outside the BSF managed services agreement, so there will be an additional charge. The cost will depend upon the age of the equipment, and some older legacy equipment will not be supported

  5. #5
    jumpinjamez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Thank Post
    145
    Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Its just funny that he asumes schools dont care about price and just pay over the odds for all its stuff.

    I hope this wont lead to the cheapest solution being the right one . Cheap now pay later.

  6. #6
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,422
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 259 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    @ Simon CPL

    negotiate better deals on cleaning, computers and desks
    Look Simon - I'm being told to do it even more !!!!!

  7. #7

    bossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,035
    Thank Post
    1,262
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Rep Power
    338
    @all:

    Maybe we as a nation should turn round to him and say "MPs should find a way to save costs by cutting out their expenses and employ cheaper MPs"

    I wonder what the answer to that would be

  8. 4 Thanks to bossman:

    box_l (26th November 2009), ButterflyMoon (26th November 2009), john (26th November 2009), webman (26th November 2009)

  9. #8
    alan-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    2,422
    Thank Post
    360
    Thanked 259 Times in 190 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @all:

    Maybe we as a nation should turn round to him and say "MPs should find a way to save costs by cutting out their expenses and employ cheaper MPs"

    I wonder what the answer to that would be
    " Can I claim for that?"


  10. Thanks to alan-d from:

    bossman (26th November 2009)

  11. #9


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I wonder what the answer to that would be
    Sorry I didn't quite catch that, are you here to clean my moat?

  12. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

    bossman (26th November 2009)

  13. #10


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    If schools are wasting £750m which we can cut back on just like that, why exactly has he waited until now to say it? Surerly there should be some HTs/SLTs getting the sack if that were the case

  14. Thanks to j17sparky from:

    webman (26th November 2009)

  15. #11
    mortstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    341
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 29 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    That's an end to the gold-plated Alienware PCs that we just started buying then

  16. #12
    tsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Billingham
    Posts
    200
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    That's an end to the gold-plated Alienware PCs that we just started buying then
    No, you're missing the point - we have to SACK teachers and SLT so that we CAN buy gold plated Alienware PC's for the Support staff....


  17. #13

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,434
    Thank Post
    700
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjamez View Post
    Its just funny that he asumes schools dont care about price and just pay over the odds for all its stuff.

    I hope this wont lead to the cheapest solution being the right one . Cheap now pay later.
    You may find this hard to belive, but some do just that in the name of 'efficiancy'. Some buy from the same supplier again and again even if the cost is above what they should be paying because 'it's easier' than shopping around.

  18. #14


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 433 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Some buy from the same supplier again and again even if the cost is above what they should be paying because 'it's easier' than shopping around.
    The school I used to work for actualy went back to the original manufacturer not just for Mice and Keyboards but also Mouse Mats.

  19. #15

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,434
    Thank Post
    700
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    The school I used to work for actualy went back to the original manufacturer not just for Mice and Keyboards but also Mouse Mats.
    *bangs head against desk repeatedly*



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alternative Procurement Business Case
    By monkeyx in forum BSF
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 16th November 2009, 09:28 AM
  2. centralised procurement
    By CyberNerd in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24th June 2009, 11:56 AM
  3. CES 2009: The Smartphone just got a lot smarter
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th January 2009, 10:32 PM
  4. Procurement Procedures
    By CyberNerd in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th November 2008, 04:07 PM
  5. OPEN - e-procurement service for schools
    By beeswax in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st March 2008, 07:31 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •