+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, In new job schools love RM in General; Hi, Terrific site, well done (read PC Pro) I have recently started a job based at a secondary school but ...

Thank Post

In new job schools love RM

Hi,

Terrific site, well done (read PC Pro)

I have recently started a job based at a secondary school but I am employed soley to look after 10 primaries in the area. 8O
    Until just a few weeks ago I have never heard of RM. On my second day I was taken to a RM seminar and shown the wonders of their products. I have also visited a neighbouring? secondary school that has a RM managed network that extends to its primaries, basically the schools are just one WAN.

This is the route my secondary school would like to take as they are heavily into RM using CC3.
    Although I am based at the secondary my commitment is to the primarys and I would love to here comments or opinions on RM.
    Some of the primarys have been stung in the past so I want to tread carefully and do the best for them.

My apologies if I should have posted this elsewhere,
    I know there are other posts in this forum on RM but they are mostly old and I didn't want this to be missed.

Regards GT

Thank Post

Re: In new job schools love RM

It's not generally known, but RM stands for "Rip-off Merchants"; or so I'm led to believe!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

lol @ RM standing for Rip Of Merchants. I must admit , never heard that one before

Thank Post

I must admit some of their systems are pricey from what I've seen but also they can be competitive ie mini macs for £264 ex vat. I gather its the tech support that cripples?

GT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The gear is well over priced for what it is, and the support is horrendous too. I'm sure you'll get some interesting replies. If your pot is filled with gold, and you like being charged double what the competition charges, and can't manage to achieve the same results alone, I'd say go for it!

Thank Post

In short, I dont think there are many who would recommend RM-based networks and systems.

I've never had the "priviledge" of using a RM network, have only used RM desktop's of the 486 variety many years ago.

Havent touched them with a barge pole since. No real reason except that i could get better pricing that RM gear and no one really praised them in recent years.

Thats my two cents as they say.

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post

If it's a managed solution you are thinking of, try RMs rivals CSE:

http://www.cse-net.co.uk/

Other than that I agree with the comments already given- RM are perhaps not the best people to go to for help. I would recommend *at least* a chat with CSE and see what they say.

With a project this size I think you could use the help!

Take care- let us know how it pans out for you...

Paul :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

right ok here is my view of rm (as a user was installed and being installed when i started)

RM 2.4 rubbish.... great idea but they changed it too much from standard way and that throw many problems up.

CC3 - Now this is lot better they kept standard things and use there tools to add on to it...

I have made the cc3 do what i want to do and not other way around..

Support - lot better than use to be but helps if you have a good sales team who can push on your behalf..

Be prepared to make waves and fight if you want it to do something tell that..

They are now more willing to go from standard way as long as use understand support not official i.e if blows up dont expect them to come out and fix it but they will help you often anyway...

The support is better now that profiles has been added so that you can set info about yourself so that they know your level of tech ability.

When they talk to you.. (so dont get the click on start button the one with start on it they just say goto system properties etc).

Over price yes can be expensive but this is my suggestion first up order in bulk when ordering computers and at end of day can order computers eslewhere and get cc3 licenses from rm.

Push them hard if you have 7000 to spend say you have only 7000 to spend you need this amount what can you do... You will be amazed how much they will come down our first quotes and end quotes ussaly have very different prices..

right in all they have come a long way and but can improve but you have to push them hard and you become a most hated person in rm at times.

I get on alright with sales team but there are departments that run away at my name (qca...)..

I have always said if they do good then i praise them if they muck up cause a problem then i will say that they have...

I have heard primary sales is worst than secondry sales and if you are not getting sales service then write to them and say unless a meeeting is arranged with sales rep you are pulling away from rm..

But first point of call is to arrange meeeting with sales rep at the school and if need be take them on tour of the schools you work for and get them to work for you not other way around...

sorry for long post but after being in rm school now for nearly two years i know how to handle them..

Russ

p.s

dont use online support i.e raise a call online as it is dire always phone and then use online support to communicate with them.

9. Thanks to russdev from:

ButterflyMoon (6th August 2014)

Thank Post

From my experience of RM, I wouldn't touch them again - I don't know of anybody in Lancashire that would!

Your project does seem over-engineered and would be a nightmare to implement - particularly after seeing the state of some primary schools.

I do, however, know of high schools that allow primaries in the area to use their Citrix servers (something I myuself might be interested in doing). To me, this seems a lot easier from a logistical viewpoint and the administration overheads of a WAN would be minimal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i think problem is rm today has chnaged lot in past 12 months and they now are stuck with a rep and it is going to take a lot to chanages peoples views...

Also there managed projects like qca need lot of work but be prepared to put work in in getting an rm network how you want it...

Russ

Thank Post

Hello Guys nice to be back from the hols

With reference to the RM

Would not touch them rubbish support over priced as ppl mentioned

Lee

P.S Hope your job goes well

Thank Post

Fantasic feedback, thanks everyone!!

I have seen a RM managed network in action and was quite impressed by it and it still seems to be ticking over quite well but I do have my reservations.

The cost which I'm told would be mega high and the primarys just can't afford that luxury. Luxury I feel is a good word for the whole idea, yea its great but is it really that necessary, I don't feel it is.
    Then of course you are tied to RM and its way of doing things, whose to say a better cheaper solution isn't round the corner.

It could be out of my hands, the powers at be may try and push it through but I think I have gained the trust of the primarys and feel sure they would listen to my thoughts and act on them.

I'll stay on the fence for now and watch closely.

Thanks again everyone

Thank Post

Hello

First of all if you mention RM in a meeting with ppl who know what they are talking about you will, at the very least, get a snigger

Secondly, as a tax payer with a young kid I would very much like to see the justification for a primary school to spen such money on a system when you can get all you need from a 486.

More importanly: Outpost. WHERE IS THE LINKE FOR THE CHEAP MAC MINI'S ??????

Darren

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good to see you have your priorities right, Darren

:-)

Thank Post

@dagza: Mac sell to education direct at ridiculously cheap prices - just check the Apple website (don't go giving money to RM as third party for placing the order with Apple for you)

@outpost: You should suggest that a couple of independant consultancy (yuk) firms quote for a similar project. You will have to do something to get your 3 quotes as these are required for a project with such a large spend. I'm sure you will be able to find people that are capable of implementing a WAN using Active Directory (which is all it is after all) - there's people on here with solutions from Fujitsu for instance.

The reason that 'the powers that be' like this solution so much is that they have seen it in action and I dare say that they have not seen anything else of an equivalent nature so they should really look around.

Incidentally, how does CLEO feel about such a proposal? I know that you Cumbrian-types are a lot more free to do your own thing than us mere mortals in Lancashire but surely they would have rules about connecting 11 schools together into a WAN within a WAN?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast