+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, In new job schools love RM in General; So how did this turn out in the end?...
    Thank Post
    So how did this turn out in the end?

Thank Post
    I've found that RM thrive in schools that either do not have in house technical support, have more relaxed in house support (why work out how to do this, when CCx can do it for me) or it is embedded when you arrive and the only way to get rid of it is to build a new domain.

Things will always be better when you build yourself without installing a heavy weight of management software on top - this isn't always achievable.

Also the cost - no only for kit, but to license your RM management software on top of your normal yearly commitments to software/MS licensing and to your LEA. Think about what you can do with the extra money.

EDIT: HOLY THREAD NECROREANIMATION BATMAN! Just seen the date! 2005!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alright @Sam_Brown are you after your palaeontology badge or something? This threads original resurection predates my joining.

As to the debate it has been well played out in other threads/flame wars both RM and vanilla systems have their merits and their are people who will defend both to the end of time.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

webman (2nd August 2014)

Thank Post
    Going on experience with RM connect etc, I can say that their products at least from when I was using them (prior to 2012) were very poor. They just about worked. And RM would charge large amounts to do simple jobs. I was glad when all our schools moved away from them, half the problems with their systems vanished at the same time RM did.

I can not speak for their new products as I hear they have improved. But I doubt their attitude of charging ridiculous amounts has. They did employ some good people, but those at the top did not do things well in my opinion.
    Last edited by Alkaline; 2nd August 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Thank Post
    RM. I just hear that name and I Shudder. Never had the "pleasure" of working with it. Though sounds like I'm lucky.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    RM. I just hear that name and I Shudder. Never had the "pleasure" of working with it.
    Then how can you comment on it??

Thank Post
    Colleagues experiences who used to work in a RM place.

Thank Post
    I like the ability to run, install, manage all our own services. Had experience of RM and don't like it, would never work with RM again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I've found that RM thrive in schools that either do not have in house technical support, have more relaxed in house support (why work out how to do this, when CCx can do it for me) or it is embedded when you arrive and the only way to get rid of it is to build a new domain.

Things will always be better when you build yourself without installing a heavy weight of management software on top - this isn't always achievable.

Also the cost - no only for kit, but to license your RM management software on top of your normal yearly commitments to software/MS licensing and to your LEA. Think about what you can do with the extra money.

EDIT: HOLY THREAD NECROREANIMATION BATMAN! Just seen the date! 2005!
    Or schools where they see a solution that could save their staff time, meaning it can be better spent on doing things to further improve the children's education, rather than letting staff just inflate their own ego? By staff I mean the people who see RM as a solution that is for people who don't understand technical stuff.

What is better for one school might not be better for another, you know. Different buildings, different priorities, different budgets all determine what is 'good' for the school.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 2nd August 2014 at 07:02 PM.

11. 2 Thanks to Edu-IT:

Shadow_Walker (7th August 2014), sparkeh (2nd August 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to have some quite strong views on RM but as time has gone on, they've mellowed somewhat. When I joined my current workplace they were running CC3. They were running it because at the time they bought it they had no in-house expertise with Windows 2000 and they wanted some help and support with it and they wanted a supported middleware layer that worked it it. From what I understand, those were few and far between at the time.

As time went on, CC3 became less of a fit for the college and when the upgrade to Windows 7 and 2008 R2 was on the cards, there was much more of a choice of support systems to go with it. We had the choice of migrating to a vanilla system with the likes of SCCM to manage the clients and various other odds and ends to manage the other stuff or to migrate to CC4. We made the choice to go to Vanilla because CC4 didn't seem to be any more of a fit than CC3 was. This wasn't CC's fault, it wasn't our fault. Square peg, round hole and all that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Decade long RM vs Vanilla flame war, news at 11...

Maybe @bossman was right all those years ago about this thread

Last edited by SYNACK; 2nd August 2014 at 08:36 PM.

Thank Post
    The best thing you can do now you've been introduced to RM is.... Rip it all out and go Vanilla... Migrate everything to Vanilla.

To be fair... RM CC products do have their place. But for the majority... It's not needed and expensive.

Thank Post
    We are sacking RM off. AS WE SPEAK!

16. Thanks to Oaktech from:

cpjitservices (5th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123