+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, In new job schools love RM in General; Ric CLEO absolutely hate it!! But they have done it for a nearby secondary school, so what goes for one ...

Thank Post

Re: In new job schools love RM

Ric

CLEO absolutely hate it!!
    But they have done it for a nearby secondary school, so what goes for one must go for all?
    It took the school and RM some years I believe to get the go ahead with constant badgering, but credit to them its now up and running and from what I've seen works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    'The reason that 'the powers that be' like this solution so much is that they have seen it in action and I dare say that they have not seen anything else of an equivalent nature so they should really look around.'
    I think you're absolutely right on this and I will look around, thanks to this board I have now other options to look at.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Outpost.

Thanks for joining. As for RM you may wish to consider the value for money aspect that using RM entails. How much functionality does it give you that is not actually free M$ server apps with a pretty interface. The reason you won't see much RM in Lancashire and Cumbria is that we realised a long time ago that it is cheaper to buy other products as and when you need them and a decent techy does not need to use their products. RM are desperate to make sales in the NW and I am not suprised that they are treating you very nicely, just be careful in the future when you relaise that your nice system now will cost the earth to upgrade in several years time when you find you are so locked into RM products that you cannot leave. RM is almost proprietory and you WILL have to pay a price later on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think to move away from rm is not as bad asd people think the licenses you have already i.e client access, virutal cd etc..

The main cost is removing rm stuff and implmeneting you own and you would do that at same time as installing a new server... and also time to rebuild stations etc..

Russ

Thank Post

RM systems are designed for teachers whose experience amounts to 'I touched a computer once' to administer.

A decent sysadmin can recreate anything they do at a fraction of the cost.

Thank Post

My only real dealings with RM in the past was at my last school where the head was convinced by RM that their software called Successmaker would provide an e-learning system which was intellegent ie. it would quickly assess a pupil's ability and react accordingly and it would give teachers a full report on individual progress. It did all this but it wasn't the most stable system and it cost $$$$$$$$. Oround £20k initially with an anuual subscription cost as well. Personally, I don't think it was worth it, although it kept the kids happy and the teachers didn't have to make any lesson plans.

BTW, if you have ordered stuff from Tesco vouchers, then you have ordered that stuf from RM. So RM are probably ripping off Tesco and schools as well in their ability to provide good value for vouchers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

here we go tescos biggist rip of scheme

"come collect vouchers for your school) only takes 900000000 vouchers for a mouse"

new sports scheme have to spend 900 quid or something for badmington racket..

end of rant

russ

Thank Post

@mark_wood: Don't even start me going on Sucky-sess-maker. Had that in my old job and it was the most unstable thing in the world and it did indeed cost huge sums of money for very little. Alas, the teachers bought into the idea and decided that they couldn't cope without it - they wouldn't even contemplate trying a different system!

Thank Post

RM? you really want to know? charlatans; incompetents [writ large]; inexcusable; pathetic; useless; outdated; over-priced [wayyy over priced]; pure marketing; oh, but all their 'engineers' [i bite my lip when i use such a title] always wear a tie on their visits - charming!
    [another company who all of this can apply to is NS Optimum - they are supposedly in 'competition' with RM, but i actually think they would get on fabulously with each other].

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We put in an RM CC3 network into our secondary a year ago. Various options were tendered (CSE,Viglen, bespoke using Class Server etc) and RM were the CHEAPEST with the most functionality. Cheapest by a significant margin! Telephone support has been excellent - e-mail support is awful (the choice is yours). Hardware prices are higher than availabe elsewhere, but you can't always get similar elsewhere (RM One PC has cables clamped internally with a screwed down cover so students cannot pull cables out of the back - that's worth something to me in support time savings).
    Sure, given time and effort you can do the same manually, but I want to get on embedding ICT in the school and not just making sure the little darlings don't trash the network and fixing GPOs...
    RM were pretty awful from what I hear, but they have listened to customers and CC3 has some great features and the basic system costs are not that great - you don't need to buy their PCs.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

................. you joined 1month after the last post in this thread and then it took you 16months to think up a reply in your first post? That's just confusing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As this thread has started up again when you talk to RM funny thing is they admit they made mistakes in 90's and they are paying for it know.

It is one of the reasons why RM wok with people like EduGeek as they want to show RM as it is now.

They will be first to say in 90's there customer services where rubbish since 2000 there customer focus has improved and you see that with better support calls etc..

Problem is we remember bad times so get comments based on the 'old' Rm and not way it works now.

I have said when RM do rubbish things they get told and when do well they get told and it has served me well..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

I must say "speak as you find" and quite frankly I don't really give a damn about this old chestnut. Overpriced for what? you don't have to buy their hardware which in comparison to others is quite expensive. As for their connect license, yes again could be slightly cheaper but when you look at what it does and in my experience (5 years with RM CC3) does it well for an all in one package £72 each when bought as batch of 50.

I will also speak up for Vanilla if you want to go that way and also Ranger as that also works well for some people. I think what people fail to realise is that we all have different tastes in everything and so really speaking we should all agree to disagree and finally bury this old nut once and for all.

P.S Russ can we please get rid of this old chestnut once and for all.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

/me throws chestnuts at bossman.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    BTW, if you have ordered stuff from Tesco vouchers, then you have ordered that stuf from RM. So RM are probably ripping off Tesco and schools as well in their ability to provide good value for vouchers.
    lol. I've got one sat in my office at the moment. I'm not quite sure where to put it. It's ugly, quite large and has a CRT monitor. As such no-one wants it (ingrates). I think I'll use it for as a test box (MSI creation etc).

HBJB

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    ................. you joined 1month after the last post in this thread and then it took you 16months to think up a reply in your first post? That's just confusing.
    Fair cop. I was passed the link to the post and didn't check the dates.
    Mea Culpa. ops:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast