+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Freeview HD - your questions answered in General; Not much of an issue for me [ Virgin + ] but no doubt I'll be setting up a few ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Freeview HD - your questions answered

Not much of an issue for me [ Virgin + ] but no doubt I'll be setting up a few friends and relatives systems so....:

Freeview HD - your questions answered ? Register Hardware

Thank Post
    Amazing... The Register have published an article about Freeview which is generally accurate rather than a confused misinterpretation of a press release.

Strangely the last couple of times they published misinformation they didn't feel the comments I left on the article picking up on the error were worthy of being approved by the moderator, but quietly updated the article enough that it was ambiguous.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Amazing... The Register have published an article about Freeview which is generally accurate rather than a confused misinterpretation of a press release.

Strangely the last couple of times they published misinformation they didn't feel the comments I left on the article picking up on the error were worthy of being approved by the moderator, but quietly updated the article enough that it was ambiguous.
    They do tend to 'make up the rules as they go along' type outfit in some of their reporting.... Reminds me of something else - [ and I'm not refering to Edugeek for once..... ]

Thank Post
    FreeviewHD receivers not due until 1st Qtr 2010.

Humax have (un)officially announced details of their Freeview HD box.

Pace are field testing Freeview HD products from December 2009.

Capacity wise, there will only be space for 4 HD Channels.

Lots of additional information at DigitalSpy, AVForums and DTG.

Thank Post
    looks like the tv card in my media centre will need replacing in march lol. I think win7 mce can cope with h264 and i cant see a card not existing. Having said that on my 32" tv blueray vs dvd the difference is nice but not exactly a revelation

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I recently bought myself an MVision HD-300 which is a very well priced box. It has a Digital Satellite and Digital Terrestrial tuner, so essentially you can watch Freeview and Freesat on one box.

It also supports DiSEqC so you can watch channels from abroad (if you have a satellite dish correctly setup). In total I can watch about 1200 channels even though a lot are rubbish.

Some of you may ask, why would I want Freeview and Freesat in one box? There are channels you can get on Freeview such as Dave, Fiver and FiveUS for example which you cannot get on Freesat. On Freesat you can watch BBC HD or ITV HD for example which are not available on Freeview. This box gives you the best of both.

Thank Post
    If that's true then I think Freeview HD is a complete waste of time. Digital Satellite clearly has a lot more capacity and secondly the quality is much better than Digital Terrestrial.

If you weigh up the costs getting a 43cm Sky/Freesat dish, plus cabling and a digital receiver and compare this to buying/replacing an existing aerial the prices are pretty much identical, yet the quality of signal from a dish is far superior!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Presumably BBC HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Five HD?

Thank Post
    Presumably BBC HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Five HD?
    Surely in the years to come it's only a matter of time before every channel goes down the HD route? Otherwise every home will have a HD screen watching SD channels for the next 10 years? It wouldn't make any sense.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Surely in the years to come it's only a matter of time before every channel goes down the HD route? Otherwise every home will have a HD screen watching SD channels for the next 10 years? It wouldn't make any sense.
    That is only going to work for Sat or Cable or IPTV not for Freeview, there is not the bandwidth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Is Freeview not getting some of the extra bandwidth from when they axe the analogue signal?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I read somewhere (BBC News?) recently that the entire radio spectrum is to be re-examined. You are right, once the digital switch over is complete there should be more bandwidth available from the current analogue channels. But I don't think that's till about 2012 (or is it later?). I think the article also mentioned radio switch over to DAB freeing up more bandwidth.

Thank Post
    and eventually all freeview channels will move over to hd264 rather than mpeg 2 allowing better compression so more channels and when analogue finally goes the transmission of freeview will be boosted meaning more channels as well probably. But no it dosent have the frequency range of a satellite dish no. Long term i see tv being delivered either by fibre like virgin or satellite like $ky/freesat

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Long term i see tv being delivered either by fibre like virgin or satellite like $ky/freesat
    Long term? The furture is in IPTV. Take a look at TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again and any of the iPlayer services (although especially the BBC's). Long term as broadband bandwidth increases and better on demand services and services like iTunes movie rental, flix and blinkbox improve - tv will move more and more into the mainstream webspace.

Thank Post
    I'm sure satellite, cable and IPTV will be the future. Makes you wonder though why go to the effort creating/promoting Freeview HD, paying 50 for a box then receive a whopping 4 HD channels. I'd feel kind of ripped off if I was joe public knowing little about the technology, buying into the 'HD game' to be limited to a few HD channels.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast