+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Performance management help in General; Hello, I am filling out my Performance management form, i have these objectives on it: 1. Raise achievement and standards ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

Performance management help

Hello,
    I am filling out my Performance management form, i have these objectives on it:

1. Raise achievement and standards across all subjects particularly those other than English and Mathematics
    2. Ensure a higher proportion of good or better lessons across all subjects.
    3. Raise the overall levels of attendance and punctuality at the beginning of the day.

I cant think of any good answers for an IT person. - I dont have a buying power so i cant put i will buy x to do job y

The only one i can think of is:
    Get to jobs quicker so learning isn’t disrupted as much. – I used this last time though.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Z
    Last edited by FN-GM; 17th November 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah!

I had a review recently; first formal one with a written target sheet set in 5 years. As it was a new experience to me and everyone else was having a bit of a laugh that I was getting one I thought that perhaps it was just something I was being subjected to.

I'm trying to put together a more useful and meaningful set Targets than those currently listed:

Build web site

Draft plan for Merlin implementation

Update server to server 2008.

I know I'm not in a Senior school environment but it feels to me that those 3 targets don't include much of what I do day to day. Look after the kit and work toward keeping it secure and up to date; develop a rolling plan for hardware and software renewall. Try and keep up to date with developing technology.

As with you FN I'd welcome suggestions toward developing targets which are helpful to the school and my develoment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you get on well with the teachers in a particular subject area? If so, have a chat with them to try and get ideas about how IT could help raise achievement (and, no, you can't give them all iPods!) eg if you have a modern languages department which uses cassette tapes for listening then you could suggest that they could use a library of MP3s and help them build this. This should help with standards because you get less disruption when the pupils can go straight to the resource they need rather than running round chasing after tapes.

Would be worth looking at the most recent Ofsted report - what did they criticise? You should try to see if there's anything you can do to help fix that.

How are registers captured and processed? If you don't have electronic registration then you obviously can't buy it but you could offer to collect info on how it's used elsewhere. If you do have it, what is done about children who are late or absent? Are text messages sent to parents/carers? If not, could they be? Again, you can't do it yourself but you can put forward a plan as to how it could be done. If that's just completely impossible, what about some method of reporting on pupils who are regularly late; is this just missed (often data is collected and just "lost"). On a positive note, if pupils are always on time and rarely absent, does anyone notice and praise them? Can you generate reports from the MIS system on the "good guys"?

Thank Post
    Target 3 - you can achieve this by making sure that electronic registration is top notch, and all that all MIS hang together properly, etc. etc. Also potentially delivering live attendance data to parents will help this.

Kyle

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    1. Raise achievement and standards across all subjects particularly those other than English and Mathematics
    2. Ensure a higher proportion of good or better lessons across all subjects.
    3. Raise the overall levels of attendance and punctuality at the beginning of the day.
    possibly something along the lines off

1. to develop the provision of ICT to improve the cross curricular use of ICT to aid improvements in teaching and learning.

2. To ensure that ICT resources have the best possible avaliability to facilitate thier use within lessons with view to iproving standards

3. Possibly something to do with MIS here, though personally it would be better to have a personal target more specific to your job.

Might be possible to mention providing trainimg to teaching staff so that they know how to use the resources more effectivly, gave ~30 mins ish training to one of the english teachers here on how to use thier IWB and they are now really using it in thier lessons instead of it just being a really nice projection surface. contrary to popular belief good teachers are more than happy to use the technology the big issue is the level of technophobia present within schools.

6. Thanks to deanc from:

speckytecky (17th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    unless you are responsible for the mis then suggestions for point 3 don't help. I don't see any of those points being targetted for ict staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Whats a review ? Not had one of those since my last job !! [ About 6 years ago ]

Thank Post
    A PM objective should be measurable. So to use your example, in a year's time how would you know whether jobs were being done more quickly?

This would suggest some actions/milestones, for example the setting up/monitoring of a central issues log if there's not one in place. This is then your source of evidence, because by looking at it you'd be able to tell that calls were now being closed off more quickly.

One of the objectives should relate to personal development - or at the very least, training needs should be captured, along with ways of meeting the agreed needs.

As for the other objectives, I'd be tempted to have a look at the school development plan (what ever it's called wherever you work - it goes by at least three names here!) - it may be that the school has already identified some priorities for the next year that you could use as a cue. For example one of ours is to exend the use of the VLE, and an IT person could I guess set some kind of objective around that.

The objectives you have there are whole-school things, and while I'd expect to see something like this on the SLT's PM forms, it's hard to see how an IT person in isolation could pull any one of these things off! This is *your* performance that's being managed here, not the school's.

HTH.

10. Thanks to theriver from:

speckytecky (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    but IT should not be working in isolation, they should be working with the teaching staff to help improve teaching and learning within the school.

every member of staff is responsible in some way to help with the improvement of teaching an learning as support staff your job is to support the teaching staff to deliver effective lessons and therefore improve T&L

12. Thanks to deanc from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Whats a review ? Not had one of those since my last job !! [ About 6 years ago ]
    According to my new line manager - they are an entitlement!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    According to my new line manager - they are an entitlement!
    I'm in a private school so it may be different.....

Thank Post
    @deanc

Agreed that IT should be working with the school, and that each staff member shares responsibility for T&L in some way. However, this is a review of an individual's performance, and while the things someone does feed into the overall performance of the school, you're measuring the things they do not the school's overall performance.

@speckytecky & mattx
    I was going to make a comment about performance management being mandatory, however looking into it a little this evening I've been able to find reference to mandatory PM only for teachers.

In fact I've lifted this quote from the model performance management policy at Teachernet (http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/11...20Mar%2007.doc)

"There are no national performance management regulations which apply to support staff and there is no national agreement on performance management with support staff unions."

I'm amazed.

16. Thanks to theriver from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Zak

Are you looking for ideas of what to do to meet these targets (presumably they are generic targets applied to pretty much all staff ... if so then I would asking where are the specific targets that tie into your JD)?

Do you have access to the school Development Plan? Is there a section in there about IT/ICT/Technologies?

I think I need to wait to find out the answer to this ... as there are a number of possible answers and rather than generate something outside of what you actually do (your targets should be linked to something you actually do or can do within the remit of your job, otherwise they are not deliverable targets and pointless for you and the school).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theriver View Post
    @deanc

Agreed that IT should be working with the school, and that each staff member shares responsibility for T&L in some way. However, this is a review of an individual's performance, and while the things someone does feed into the overall performance of the school, you're measuring the things they do not the school's overall performance.

@speckytecky & mattx
    I was going to make a comment about performance management being mandatory, however looking into it a little this evening I've been able to find reference to mandatory PM only for teachers.

In fact I've lifted this quote from the model performance management policy at Teachernet (http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/11...20Mar%2007.doc)

"There are no national performance management regulations which apply to support staff and there is no national agreement on performance management with support staff unions."

I'm amazed.
    It does not surprise me - I have to say after working in Industry for 15 years and then moving into Education - to say it opened my eyes is an understatement.......

Thank Post
    Just gone through Performance Management here and all Admin Staff had slightly different objectives that were more applicable to staff that do not teach. So basically teachers have different objectives to admin staff.

Butuz

20. Thanks to Butuz from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast