+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Google Wave: What Are The Implications For Teaching And Learning? in General; This is from a PDF published on the Ecucuase website: Wave offers a compelling platform for personal learning environments because ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries

Google Wave: What Are The Implications For Teaching And Learning?

This is from a PDF published on the Ecucuase website:

Wave offers a compelling platform for personal learning environments because it provides a single location for collecting information from diverse sources while accommodating a variety of formats.

By embedding mini-applications and other components, Wave makes interactive coursework a possibility for nontechnical students, moving larger numbers of students away from purely text-based assignments and into multimedia composition. Because groups can conduct real-time joint review not only of documents but also of multimedia presentations, Wave opens new avenues for critique of engineering projects, architectural designs, musical performance,or any discipline that benefits from peer or expert review.

Instructors, using the playback function, could see how waves were built, step-by-step, and draw inferences about the thinking behind and evolution of student projects. Wave might also change how knowledge is created, stored, and shared. If adopted by professionals, it could provide an accessible way to model disciplinary thinking and processes with students.

Whether Google Wave replaces existing applications, it likely will move communication from text alone into a wider environment more in tune with the variety of options we have come to expect from Web 2.0 technologies that enrich the human exchange of ideas.
    [Original passage was one long paragraph: I have broken it down here, hopefully, to improve readability]

Complete PDF: 7 Things You Should Know About Google Wave

2. Thanks to DaveP from:

russdev (15th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeees

I am a massive fan of Web 2.0 for schools. Yet I know from seeing students in action that they may be tempted to mess too much with GW - the possibility for re-editing posts allows nasty messages or snide comments to be posted and then unposted - yes they would be in the history I suppose so it would be a learning curve (or wave).

I don't see why schools wouldn't be better off with a wiki, Google docs or Google sites. Once all these are mastered some enterprising teams might do well with Google Wave.

I'm mainly intrested in students in different schools using these collaborative tools because the presence of someone a little unknown raises standards of everything and puts your class into a much more cohesive, self-confident frame of mind, determined to show that they have brains rather than pretend that they don't. (Research has shown this many times.)

Any other experiences?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread