+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Ouch LOL in General; Don't they all just take the good ideas from each other and reuse them anyway?...

Thank Post
    Don't they all just take the good ideas from each other and reuse them anyway?

Thank Post
    If your Apple products were the best then companies would be ditching Windows fast. The majority love Windows. The majority dislike Macs. Just because you get an Apple fan trying to convert everyone on every forum does not mean they are better. The whole "our product is cool" thing does not work well when they also try to use the same method to charge stupid prices for it.

We all know that Windows is quite expensive, if Apple had the products to match its mouth then they would reduce their product cost massively and ruin Microsoft.

When i see the odd teacher with a Mac and i have only ever seen two (one was a visitor), i just get that homer "doh" sound in my head. Especially when they ask if i can set it all up on the network. Like i would connect that wretched thing to my network!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavins38 View Post
    Don't they all just take the good ideas from each other and reuse them anyway?
    Indeed they do but legally copying the "look and feel" is grounds for a large lawsuit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why does it bother you so much?

its not like apple have corporate users anywhere in their business strategy - they're not going for the same market.

'better' is a subjective term - they both (for the most part) work, and have strengths and weaknesses

Also - 'prettiness' should never be underated, remember the UI is what you're going to be interacting with every time you use it, why not make it pleasant...?

Thank Post
    Haven't we been through all this before?

Apple Computer, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The court ruled that, "Apple cannot get patent-like protection for the idea of a graphical user interface, or the idea of a desktop metaphor [under copyright law]..." Because Mac's GUI was heavily based on unlicensed GUI developed before by Xerox, in the midst of the Apple v. Microsoft lawsuit, Xerox also sued Apple on the same grounds. The lawsuit was dismissed because Xerox had waited too long to file suit, and the statute of limitations had expired.

6. Thanks to somabc from:

mac_shinobi (12th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Works for me... BeOS or AmigaOS?
    BeOS FTW!!! Haiku Project | Home of the Haiku Operating System

8. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

mac_shinobi (12th November 2009), tmcd35 (12th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *really really heavy sigh*

I should really dig up links to all the previous unresolved Windows vs the world threads but to be honest I just love trolling as much as the next, er,

Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    If your Apple products were the best then companies would be ditching Windows fast.
    An argument that sums up exactly why Betamax was the most successful home video recording format and VHS never ever stood a chance.

The majority love Windows.
    Can't be asked to canvas the majority and ask them if they even care what OS they use let alone which they prefer. I just say that I think "love" is perhaps the wrong word. Tollerate may be closer

EDIT: I would be interested in a poll to see if the majority even known what an OS is. They probably think it's M$ Word or something!

The majority dislike Macs.
    I doubt the majority have used Macs to form an opinion one way or another.

Just because you get an Apple fan trying to convert everyone on every forum does not mean they are better.
    Can't be asked to convert anyone - I just like flame wars Oh, wait - MacShinobi I think he wants you to respond to this one

The whole "our product is cool" thing does not work well when they also try to use the same method to charge stupid prices for it.
    To be honest - I'd agree to that.

We all know that Windows is quite expensive, if Apple had the products to match its mouth then they would reduce their product cost massively and ruin Microsoft.
    Really? Don't think so. The only way Apple could compete with Linux or Microsoft is to Open Source their entire OS and drop the case with Psystar allowing a clone market to build. Can't see them doing that some how.

Now Linux on the other hand - may well take over from M$ in due course for the same reasons M$ took off to start of with. It's the cheapest and it runs on any hardware.

You said it
    Last edited by tmcd35; 12th November 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    @ Couldn't get sexy graphics - with linux or most things come to think about it, if you don't put the time in then you dont get anything back or out of it - plenty of guides about and read me etc
    Sorry - didn't realise you were looking over my shoulder when I installed Ubuntu. So just how much time did I put into trying to get Ubuntu to like my graphics card then? Since you were there you should surely know?!

I work with computers for at least 8 hours a day, and sometimes up to 16 hours a day. Why in the world would I want to spend days trying to get a graphics card to work when I could be doing something meaningful? "Hello Windows 7... Oh, you like my graphics card do you? Brilliant, well I'll just get on with work then thank you!"

Many things take time, and it's true that you don't get it out unless you put it in. But then with OS's they should just work, end of matter. Otherwise we'd all be coding our own OS's wouldn't we? Do you want to have to code an OS, or part of one to get graphics working as they should? Thought not.

Thank Post
    Think we had a Betamax when i was little. Never really looked into the technical specs of VHS and Betamax as it was too long ago for me. So i can not truly accept one was better than the other on your say so.

But you know.... Betamax died with people screaming how ace it was. VHS went on to dominate. Bit like Windows and Macs with Windows ruling the roost. It's time for Apple to close its shops and those few of you who use a Mac to switch. Just bite the bullet and sledge hammer that trash. I know you want to

Oh and forgot to say, the worst thing you could do is get Macs for your school!!!!! Why make someone else suffer for your hobby?? LOL What next, an Amiga in every classroom??? Give it up!
    Last edited by dalsoth; 12th November 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Amiga in every classroom? Now you're speeking my language!

Thank Post
    Id prefer to have a 64.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Think we had a Betamax when i was little. Never really looked into the technical specs of VHS and Betamax as it was too long ago for me. So i can not truly accept one was better than the other on your say so.
    What! What sort of logic is that? What you are saying sounds a lot like 'I have no facts one way or the other on which is better and I am to lazy to do any research but I am still going to disagree with you?'

15. Thanks to somabc from:

mac_shinobi (12th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    What! What sort of logic is that? What you are saying sounds a lot like 'I have no facts one way or the other on which is better and I am to lazy to do any research but I am still going to disagree with you?'
    Pretty much although I dispute the lazy bit. I prefer to focus my efforts in other ways. I just made myself a snack. I see that as productive. Researching every bit of fluff spouted at me on a forum just to appease someone is not

You could say one sports car was better than another to make a point but i sure as hell aint researching everything thrown at me on here Would be as crazy as some of you then

17. Thanks to dalsoth from:

Hightower (13th November 2009)

t_h
    Thank Post
    I've used Windows Vista/7 boxes and Macs DAILY for years and never thought "wow that's ripped off". Sure, they have similar features but there are only so many ways you can implement something like desktop search or the calendar.

Apple could do with "copying" some of the good features from Vista like (proper) ASLR for a start.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who the hell cares.

1. Competition. It's good for us all. Keeps prices low, keeps innovation high. Everyone wins.
    2. Choice. Also good. People out there actually like the Fiat Multipla and still buy Alfa Romeos. Some might have both. Some like one and not the other. Some think both are utter rubbish in their own right. Some will swear blind that their Caterham is more practical than either of the above.
    3. The Best of Both Worlds. Some people, myself included, will never find themselves wanting an Apple product, however know full well the importance of what they've done and what they continue to do - at least in the software world. OSX is a stonking operating system, and short of illegally installing it on a PC, seeing inspiration taken from it (taken, stolen, borrowed, insert your preferred nomenclature here) is only ever a benefit, for both sides. PC users get an OS which is easier to use and generally better than what we've been provided with previously. Some of them will look into the background a bit more - perhaps someone's mentioned it's inspired by OSX and they'll go and take a look for themselves. They might like what they see, and invest in a Mac.

As far as I can see, it's only helping things move forward, and that's a good direction in anyone's book.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast