+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tiscali Trouble in General; Is anyone else having problems with their Tiscali connection at home at the moment? Everything was fine until about 6pm ...
    Thank Post

Tiscali Trouble

Is anyone else having problems with their Tiscali connection at home at the moment?

Everything was fine until about 6pm last night when the connection dropped.
    Rebooted the router, got an IP etc.... but there's something strange about the connection:
    Pinging bbc.co.uk (or anything else) works fine, websites lookup ok, but after 100kB or so opening pages grinds to a halt.

Anyone else seen / seeing this?
    have tried Opera and IE - and another PC - same result.

We're fed up of Tiscali, it's always dropping out etc and will move soon... but this is, well, different!

Thank Post
    Tiscali are one of those providers who are absolutely great .. until something goes wrong .. then when that happens they have shocking Customer Service.

I have a couple of friends who had to go and switch to virgin to get a package that didn't use a BT line as Tiscali just didn't release their line and because they were the ones who had the agreement with BT, BT wouldn't release it either, so they cancelled their BT lines and went virgin instead, so just be careful when you come to swap. Could cause you a lot of hassle!

Thank Post
    I have a friend who uses tiscally and hes allways having problems. the last big one was his phone line got struck by lightning, he then had a month of no or unusable internet, during which BT appeared agreed the phone line was broken then proceeded to say we will inform tiscally. he then had to phone tiscally to get them to tell BT to come and fix it

Thank Post
    hi, yeah im with tiscalli, ive been having problems for about a month since they went over to TalkTalk, before i was getting about 0.7 of a meg, now im lucky if i get 0.3 at any time, about had enough of them but no one else will serve us

p.s. where abouts in Yorkshire are you mate ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BandyQuill View Post
    p.s. where abouts in Yorkshire are you mate ?
    I'm in the bit that's in South Cumbria but most of my family's from Sheffield so I'm claiming at least dual "nationality"

For Cricket purposes I've redesignated the 4 square meters that are my office as part of Yorkshire as they're all Lancashire fans round here!

Thank Post
    ahhhh fair enough...

nice area cumbria

just logged into my home machine, and i can get onto websites but it wont load ANY pictures or anything as though its not got enough bandwith to load them... will give them a call tonight and have a whine in there faces (prepair for me to be booted from there service tomorrow XD)

7. Thanks to BandyQuill from:

BatchFile (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Tiscali are awful; they have broken all of the ISPs they've taken over too. (f2s, nildram, pipex, etc).

They are cheap, and for cheap they act cheap at times.

about had enough of them but no one else will serve us
    BandyQuill if you're in Pontefract you have a lot of options available to you, but if not it's worth checking samknows.com to see if you have any LLU providers first, and if not then you should still be able to apply to any 'normal' adsl (ie, bt resold ipstream/datastream) supplier.
    Last edited by kmount; 10th November 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    We're fed up of Tiscali, it's always dropping out etc and will move soon... but this is, well, different!
    First thing to do is investigate whether the ADSL Sync is being dropped or whether it's just the PPP connection (ie, after sync'd to the exchange).

If it's the sync that's going it could be your router/line or the line card in the dslam/msan in the exchange which may or may not change if you were to move providers (if it's llu then yes it would but otherwise it may well not).

If it's the PPP connection dropping (ie, dsl light stays solid on router) then absolutely right give them some grief for it.

Check samknows.com for your exchange to see which other options you have.

10. Thanks to kmount from:

BatchFile (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    ahhhh fair enough...

nice area cumbria

just logged into my home machine, and i can get onto websites but it wont load ANY pictures or anything as though its not got enough bandwith to load them... will give them a call tonight and have a whine in there faces (prepair for me to be booted from there service tomorrow XD)
    Yup, that's exactly the symptoms I've got. that helps a great deal, at least it's not just us!
    I'll ring them tonight too (if only to get a MAC!).

I love the way their service status (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/status.cgi is still at 100%
    Last edited by BatchFile; 10th November 2009 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Careful still, even with a mac if you're on llu you may need to pay the new provider to migrate you in. (and change you 'back' onto ipstream/datastream)

Thank Post
    Tiscali is the devils own ISP.

Thank Post
    Sounds about right, im going to ponte tonight to fix a problem for a user with talk talk thats been going on for 8 weeks. I know people who have no problems, but when you do it can be soul destroying getting them to resolve it.

Thank Post
    My Tiscali connection has been perfectly OK for months at the speed I pay for

Thank Post
    what is an LLU Service ? will it be any better for me?

i live about 6 miles from the nearest exchange (were in a bit of a dead spot where we live) so i ve come to terms with the fact that ill never get the propsed 8mb...

Thank Post
    what is an LLU Service ? will it be any better for me?

i live about 6 miles from the nearest exchange (were in a bit of a dead spot where we live) so i ve come to terms with the fact that ill never get the propsed 8mb...
    I know that feeling too. Just looking where you are from, i am kinda in the same situation. We only have a few LLU services (about 3).

We didnt have any problems last night but we have some problems before but it seems to be more exchange based then anything, as 2 other people around me are on tiscali and when mine dies theirs is ok and vis versa.

Tim

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast