+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tiscali Trouble in General; I don't know if it's related or just a coincidence but last night the internet went really slow and I ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if it's related or just a coincidence but last night the internet went really slow and I had problem loading webpages for about an hour. I'm with Sky and a friend in another town with Talk Talk also saw the same problem around the same time.

Thank Post
    I used to be a Tiscali customer......
    V poor speeds 8 Meg connection (verified by downloading from MS site) and yet youtube woudn't buffer videos EVER! Peak speeds were appauling and in the end after leaving they chased me with a debt collection agency despite me not actually owing any money. Even after being told twice by customer service advisors I didn't owe any money I still got calls from their automated computer person saying that I owed money. Thanks to a government group who oversees the whole ISP thing it was eventually cleared up with nothing on my credit record, but stilll what a marathon!

Thank Post
    @ timbo343: it seems around this area the exchanges are pretty spread apart and there are only about 3/4 in the area, my girlfriend who lives in castleford has the same problem and she's only half a mile from the very centre of town, its ridiculous to be honest...

id contemplate changing ISP but i know id only have the same problem with speed, ive thought about a BT i-plate to try and bump it up a bit but i cant see it making all that much difference !

Chris

Thank Post
    LLU is Local Loop Unbundling. Kitz explains very well on her site here.

If you have it available it typically means you can potentially achieve up to 24mbit/s from an ADSL2+ product instead of the normal up to 8mbit/s offering from BT/others. Now, if you're barely scraping the barrel to 1mbits you're not likely to get much more I'd have thought if LLU is even available on the exchange but it's worth asking.

More usefully though, lets get some sync and line stats out of your router to see whether an i-plate would help and whether your isp need to have a quiet word with the phone line.

Thank Post
    yeahhh would be supprised if i can get it any quicker without giving them a quiet word with my user persuasion tool (hammer)

line stats (i think)

Thank Post
    Yeah, pretty poor quality or very very long line there fella, worth trying the same with it plugged into the test socket (behind the master socket) which will disconnect any internal extensions and provide the best test.

Looking at it, the 11.5dB downstream SNR (signal to noise ratio) is why the sync speed is so low (at 0.5mbit), I imagine normally the DS SNR would be lower (closer to 6dB) which would push the sync speed up a bit. A 'normal' BT target SNR is 6dB but there are cases of line instability where this changes to 9dB (reducing your sync to increase stability) or 12dB etc. You used to be able to argue that the line was stable and have it dropped to 3dB (to push sync up) but that seems pretty difficult these days.

7. Thanks to kmount from:

BandyQuill (10th November 2009)

Thank Post
    its plugged into the main socket because it WONT work on any of the extensions XD

is there anyway i can get it upto 1meg? that would be surficcient for the xbox tbh... thats all i want to work, i want to come home from work, turn on the projector and kill zombies

Thank Post
    Have a look through this and see if you can get behind the master socket to get us another set of line stats (the sync speed will probably be the same but im interested in the other figures).

This'll allow us to see if there's going to be a decent benefit with an iplate or an ADSL Nation filter here.

The dynamic line management stuff will gradually increase your line sync (by lowering the target SNR) which will in turn increase your ipprofile (throughput speed) but it can take some days of stability. (Or a quick call to your ISP to reset the profile but often they can't be bothered, especially if it's Tiscali!).

Thank Post
    that looks like a weekend job to me i shall return with more info XD

Thank Post
    If I don't respond (I'm in London this weekend so will miss some posts) drop me a pm with a slap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I don't know if it's related or just a coincidence but last night the internet went really slow and I had problem loading webpages for about an hour. I'm with Sky and a friend in another town with Talk Talk also saw the same problem around the same time.
    THE INTERNETS ARE BROKEN!! ARGH!

Thank Post

Tiscali dropping connection - tell me about it !

For the past month my router keeps dropping connection - i believe it's because it's moving over to TalkTalk. As Tiscali user i never ever wanted to go over to TalkTalk as i believe their customer services to be awful. I have dealt with Tiscali and i find them to be very helpful - speaking to their helpdesk in India on a number of occasions and always good service.

I had an email from TalkTalk saying they are moving over in the next few months and it should be faster service. Two weeks prior to this e-mail and after i have been dropping connection. If this is what it's going to be like i don't relish the thought - I can do without TalkTalk.

Anyone recommend a good broadband with free telephone calls anytime and broadband !

Thank Post

Problems with Tiscali

Hi

On Tuesday 17th November I started having trouble with Tiscali after years with no problems
    I live in Aylesbury

The problem is intermittent. E mails either download or dont download and take ages to come in
    Web sites load or dont load. Its driving me mad

We have two computers through the same router which passes all the ping tests and connects at 2272bps
    I can connect remotely to my office computer no problems
    Tiscali cant find a problem and think it must be to do with my extension even though the line test is claer

I think it is Tiscali

I have checked everything- line /router etc- all fine
    The only thing left is to bypass my extension socket

Any views would be appreciated

As I have a connection at present I dont really want to start unplugging routers

Thank Post

I think it is Tiscali to be honest.....

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroyd2009 View Post
    Hi

On Tuesday 17th November I started having trouble with Tiscali after years with no problems
    I live in Aylesbury

The problem is intermittent. E mails either download or dont download and take ages to come in
    Web sites load or dont load. Its driving me mad

We have two computers through the same router which passes all the ping tests and connects at 2272bps
    I can connect remotely to my office computer no problems
    Tiscali cant find a problem and think it must be to do with my extension even though the line test is claer

I think it is Tiscali

I have checked everything- line /router etc- all fine
    The only thing left is to bypass my extension socket

Any views would be appreciated

As I have a connection at present I dont really want to start unplugging routers
    I believe it is to do with Tiscali moving over to TalkTalk. I was informed by TalkTalk that it would be a faster service - but only in the past month i have been getting major problems intermittent connection. I wouldn't do too much to your router etc. I have my laptop connected wirelessly and it still happens even thought they are on different ip address. I think Tiscali probably know but they have been given the party line to say everything is ok from their end. Imagine if they admitted it wasn't they would be losing all the Tiscali customers to other ISP providers. It wouldn't be good for TalkTalks reputation, so they will say that it isn't their fault. Tiscali won't be too bothered as they have new masters now.

Thank Post
    well i finally got round to getting inside the phone line plate, and lone behold detatching the un-needed wires... yeah it did nothing :'(

so tiscali will be getting a phone call later this week XD

*wonders if he can make someone cry over the phone... or wether to go about it properly and politely*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast