+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, A cunning plan for disposal. in General; ...

Thank Post
    Cumbria Grid for Learning site has info on a company who will pick most old ICT kit for free. The only charges made are for monitors which they charge £5 each for.

Curriculum : Curriculum ICT : Diposal of Electrical and Computer related goods

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Another vote for the lump hammer here - far and away the quickest method of wiping HDDs - very satisfying too - good for getting rid of aggression!

As for disposal. Our local disposal site has containers for CPUs as well as for monitors and we take them there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I open up the HDD and use the plates as trendy mirrors!

4. Thanks to Joanne from:

Shane (25th April 2008)

Thank Post
    what can acctually be retrived from a hard disk from just a stanard curriculum pc from a IT suite or classroom? because all work ect will go back to server, its not like kids have there adresses and bank details saved, i can understand with admin machines but surely all that is on a curriculum is os and software?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davyboi View Post
    what can acctually be retrived from a hard disk from just a stanard curriculum pc from a IT suite or classroom? because all work ect will go back to server, its not like kids have there adresses and bank details saved, i can understand with admin machines but surely all that is on a curriculum is os and software?
    thats the way i see it, yeah
    i wipe them so far as windows wont boot anymore, no point doing anything else
    especially as we donate most of ours, schools wouldnt be so willing to take them if they had no HD's

Thank Post
    bit of a Lazarus thread this!!!!

Thank Post
    I find a pillar drill, followed by "footie down the stairs" tends to do a good job. We do strip our rigs down though..boards go to art/DT for spares, cases to the scrapyard up the road.

Thank Post
    I remember I took some old cases (RM cases... enjoyed every moment of this) to the skip and chucked them in one by one. Some guy who worked there asked if this was industrial waste, I replyed nah it's all from home. Computers are my hobby.

He said ok and walked off

(I did remove all ID/asset stickers before hand)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Personally, I think it is a criminal waste of resources to destroy a perfectly good HD that has only ever had curriculum software on it - no admin or personal details.
    I wipe mine with something like killdisk and then I freecycle them: To date I have found homes for 35 machines and monitors, 10 separate monitors and countless keyboards mice etc.
    Some went to a local IT guy who teaches IT to adults. 19 went to Africa, and the rest went to people on Freecyle who wanted them.
    Every couple of months I put up a reminder that I have lots of CRTs if anyone wants them and usually get rid of one or two that way.
    The schools I work in don't ask and don't care what I do - they scrap them off the inventory and that is it as far as they are concerned. The more money I can save them the better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Personally, I think it is a criminal waste of resources to destroy a perfectly good HD that has only ever had curriculum software on it - no admin or personal details.
    I wipe mine with something like killdisk and then I freecycle them: To date I have found homes for 35 machines and monitors, 10 separate monitors and countless keyboards mice etc.
    Some went to a local IT guy who teaches IT to adults. 19 went to Africa, and the rest went to people on Freecyle who wanted them.
    Every couple of months I put up a reminder that I have lots of CRTs if anyone wants them and usually get rid of one or two that way.
    The schools I work in don't ask and don't care what I do - they scrap them off the inventory and that is it as far as they are concerned. The more money I can save them the better
    I agree with you. Too much stuff is chucked away that still has a use. I freecycle lots of stuff (both IT and not) and think it's a terrific scheme. The other thing we're currently working on is a green computing project where we get people in for the day and basically let them build a system from old bits then install Ubuntu or the like, firefox, open office etc. They can go away with a PC that meets their needs for very little money and learn Microsoft isn't the only way.

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

Same here witch It gets my back up when people waste perfectly good equipment.

Thank Post
    That’s one thing that frustrates me, we re-place any machines 5 years or older and the old machine just gets chucked in a room ready for collection from a recycling company. All HDD's get shredded, and I mean by an actual machine which comes via truck outside the building and actually shreds the HDD's into cross cut pieces. These machines are mainly admin machines however, although pretty much if it plugs in the wall and connects the network; it gets recycled/shredded at the end of its life.

Some of the kit is in mint condition, perhaps not much use for business/corporate use, but to a low income family/charity etc it would be up in the high specs in comparison.

I can understand data protection etc, I know a few years back we used to sell/give away the machines very cheaply, however if they broke etc, they returned them to us expecting us to repair/replace free of charge. I suggested getting them to sign a disclaimer, but the bosses couldn’t be bothered with that. A missed opportunity I feel.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12