+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Life without a mobile phone in General; I am seriously thinking about ditching my Mobile - it's my own, I've had the number since the year dot ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Life without a mobile phone

I am seriously thinking about ditching my Mobile - it's my own, I've had the number since the year dot - [ 07970 number ] - but I am sick and tired of it now. OK I let the majority go to the answer phone but I really hate the fact that I can be contacted when ever...... I seem to remember not having one [ 15 year ago ] and it was nice. If someone wanted me then E-mail or leave a message on my land line - or how about actually coming over ??!!
    Anyone been more than 4/8 weeks without a mobile ? I'm seriously thinking of trying it......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    I never used to take mine on holiday, but stopped that after my dad was taken seriously ill while I was away.

I was in the south of France and he was in Edinburgh. It was so difficult being without it, that I'd always have a mobile now. I am just selective about when I switch it on!

Thank Post
    I think that now it is so easy to own one, it's silly not to in case of emergencies etc.

However, there is nothing to stop you turning it off except for when YOU want to use it, thought about doing the same many times before myself.

Thank Post
    I havent used my mobile for about a year, and its great! There isnt really a time where I cant be contacted by land line or email, so I dont really see the point. Email is the best way to get to me as Ive always got my Ipod and am always close to a WAP.

There have been a few times that it has been a problem, such as various family members going into hospital, but luckily I only live down the road from them.

Turning it off is always a good idea, or call block!

Thank Post
    as good as, I gave up my contract after 16 years (my first no begun with 0585 a sony marsbar analog phone) and have bought a 10 cheap one from asda including 10 credit and that stays in the car incase of somthing happening. It was work that made my mind up ringing me on days off with stupid questions or can you come in coz x and y aint working, and the answer is no i don't miss it at all and I'm 20 better off a month

Thank Post
    I went without one for 6 months last year while travelling and I really didn't miss it, I think I'd find it to be a pain in general life but I know what you mean about how we used to get by. People have lost the ability to plan, in the past you would arrange to meet in the pub (or wherever) at a certain time and that's where you would meet. If someone wasn't there that second you would wait patiently until they arrived, this would probably be no more than 5 mins.
    Mobiles have made people impatient and disorganised IMO and both of these are important skills.

EDIT: I mean being patient and organised are important skills
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 5th November 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Thank Post
    If your work want you to have a mobile phone; they should supply and pay for it. You should leave it at work at the end of the day.

Your personal phone is exactly that; personal. And should not be used by your employer or anyone you work with unless you give your permission explicity to them, or there is an emergency.

If you employer (or someone you work with) uses your personal number given or gives it to another staff member to use against your permission, you could argue it was a breach of data protection.

Thank Post
    I have a mobile paid for any supplied by work, given up on a personal phone. I have no need for a mobile phone other than for work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danIT View Post
    I have a mobile paid for any supplied by work, given up on a personal phone. I have no need for a mobile phone other than for work.

I suppose it just comes down to how you use phones and your lifestyle. I personaly don't use my landline as I don't sit still enough, I also spend alot of time outdoors so it's usefull then. I can always ignore it and generally if it's a number I don't know I do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I have two phones (both owned by me) unlike certain ex admins who have 3 phones

One personal and one that is number that work can give out to suppliers and that I use as my edugeek.net contact so you lot can phone me.

As for if could give them up no but I make sure that EG phone gets put on silent after certain time.

Russ
    Last edited by russdev; 5th November 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Thank Post
    I love my iPhone.

I'm not giving it up for anyone.

Thank Post
    Anyone been more than 4/8 weeks without a mobile ?
    Yeah.. my entire life, until the current job gave me a cheap one, with the number only known by work folk + t'other half, and it's switched off and left in the car on my time. They tend to disrupt my concept of a hassle free life too much.

Thank Post
    Not a chance in hell would i give up my mobile. I've given up my landline, no phone plugged in that silly expensive thing.

Thank Post
    Wouldnt give my mobile up, not fussed about a land line, just trying to reduce my mobiles from 2 to 1, one work one personal. Good to keep it seperate although key staff have my pesonal number.

Thank Post
    Two for me, one work which anyone and his dog can have but spends most of it's life on silent at the bottom of my kit bag (and gets voicemail checked occasionally) and a personal one which is used for keeping in touch with friends family etc.

If I don't want to be bothered I either turn it off or onto silent as others have said, too useful to give up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast