Poll: Do you provide a handover when going away on holiday?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Handovers in General; Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer Call me suspicious but why are you asking at all. Are you tempted no to OK, ...

Thank Post

Re: Handovers

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Call me suspicious but why are you asking at all. Are you tempted no to
    OK, I'll disclose. Of course I'm planning to leave a handover for my replacement, I started writing it four months ago, it's pretty much the bible of information that the school needs (as nothing's on paper anyway).

Yesterday, my NM flew out to India for a week and a half. Needless to say, Wednesday night came - I got: "see ya in a couple of weeks, I'm going on holiday, byeeeeeee" as he ran out of the door.

Yesterday morning, I had three separate teachers arrive in my office and say: "H was supposed to do X for me and he promised me that he'd have it done by Friday"... an all too common occurrence, and three things I didn't know that he'd been promising people.

Hence my thoughts that at the very least a verbal handover would've been nice, let alone a written one. I wondered if I was asking too much - hence the poll!

Thank Post

We normally do a verbal brief before one of us goes, even if it is me on holiday and the NM staying, and then a verbal debrief when who ever gets back.
    I see it as common courtesy, letting the other part of the team have a heads up what is around or might come flying at them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

I always run through everything that i have organised with personel with webman i expect him to do the same job as me so he should have the required information. So simple but effective.

Thank Post

it depends

I don't take holidays in term time. PFY is term-time only. If I've had a day away on a course / visit, I'll give PFY a verbal run-down of things I have / haven't done that may affect things he needs to do or that other people will ask him about. Anything elaborate I usually write down or (if it's something he's not confident doing / shouldn't really do) ask him to tell people to wait - if it's urgent, it's already been done before I leave.

Until recently (it isn't pervasive enough, we kept forgetting to check it) we ran a bug-tracking system converted to tickets, so any important jobs were there for him to check the status of.

Thank Post

There`s only me so when not here there is nothing done!

.... oh the lonliness

.... and the power :twisted:

Thank Post

we all know where the list of jobs is so no need to leave notes. At the mercy of the NM if he decides his private secret list of jobs takes precedence.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, having a helpdesk type system helps with this problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information