+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, BBC Looks At Ubuntu: Linux Users Don't Like The Review in General; Originally Posted by localzuk All the Windows 7 adverts are incredibly irritating. Even more so than the other 'I'm a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    All the Windows 7 adverts are incredibly irritating. Even more so than the other 'I'm a PC' adverts.
    The one with the guy at the bowling alley. Isn't he just demonstrating a fancy way of doing 'Tile Windows Vertically'; hardly ground-breaking stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You mean the snap to screen edge function? That is actually a new and pretty useful feature...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, is that what he's doing? Fair enough then

Thank Post
    You mean the snap to screen edge function? That is actually a new and pretty useful feature...
    Win amp has been doing that for a long long time ( being able to snap to the side of the screen ) so can't of been that hard to include that into windows

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Win amp has been doing that for a long long time ( being able to snap to the side of the screen ) so can't of been that hard to include that into windows
    Doing that with one, specific, application is one thing, getting it to work with *any* application, coded in many varied and widely different ways is a completely different thing. Also, it doesn't just 'snap', it also resizes to a pre-sized spaces (half a screen, full-screen).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    not exactly new, its a rip off of the compiz grid feature, which has been part of most linux distros for a number of years. When you enable the grid plugin, just ctrl-alt then keypad to snap the windows.
    I guess compiz authors 'told' ms to 'invent' it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    not exactly new, its a rip off of the compiz grid feature, which has been part of most linux distros for a number of years. When you enable the grid plugin, just ctrl-alt then keypad to snap the windows.
    I guess compiz authors 'told' ms to 'invent' it
    So it works in the same way? ie. you drag a window to the edge and voila, done? From what you've just said, it involves key-combos which is, to the average user, more complicated.

(Yes, key-combos are complicated. Many staff in our school get confused when I use ctrl+c and ctrl+v).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    So it works in the same way? ie. you drag a window to the edge and voila, done? From what you've just said, it involves key-combos which is, to the average user, more complicated.

(Yes, key-combos are complicated. Many staff in our school get confused when I use ctrl+c and ctrl+v).
    key combos are complicated to idiots. the average person under 30 can handle them.
    I don't know how to make compiz do it with a mouse, but i should imagine that it's doable - wonder if MS patented that one?

edit: just realised that sounded rather ageist, it wasn't meant to - rather re the computer game generation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    key combos are complicated to idiots. the average person under 30 can handle them.
    I don't know how to make compiz do it with a mouse, but i should imagine that it's doable - wonder if MS patented that one?

edit: just realised that sounded rather ageist, it wasn't meant to - rather re the computer game generation.
    Yeah, was gonna point out that people at 30 have only been in the work market for a decade-ish. There are 35 more years after that... So, more staff will be > 30 than < 30.

The whole thing that MS is pushing is that they make things *simple*. Click and drag is simple. Combo is not.

Thank Post
    I just saw the ad where he shows this feature and says that Windows 7 was his idea. I can see someone getting a lot of hate mail. Does this snapping feature work across all apps or just MS software itself?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123