+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC Looks At Ubuntu: Linux Users Don't Like The Review in General; He approached it completely the wrong way, if he was a new user to windows he'd be faced with similar ...
    Thank Post
    He approached it completely the wrong way, if he was a new user to windows he'd be faced with similar problems no doubt yet he tries to make these seem like flaws with Ubuntu. The man is an idiot most the lot from Click irritate me... especially after they felt the need to make room for this question xD...

"What a good question!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 976 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    He approached it completely the wrong way, if he was a new user to windows he'd be faced with similar problems no doubt yet he tries to make these seem like flaws with Ubuntu. The man is an idiot most the lot from Click irritate me... especially after they felt the need to make room for this question xD...

"What a good question!"
    Windows does the same thing when pressing the print screen button , pfftt

Just because they use it, does not mean they know how to use it correctly

Anyone can pickup a chainsaw but it does not mean to say it will be used correctly nor safely just the same as any user can turn a computer on hence why people like us have jobs like we do in the support sector aka IT Support ( or w/e title you want to give it )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    I think it actually did print up until the early '90s.

I used to use the ScrollLock button when I programmed in COBOL. It kept the cursor static and the cursor keys made the page scroll up and down. Quite handy.

But what the hell does the SysRq button do?
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_request"]System request - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Also whenever I have used the print screen button it has always in my experience just copied a screen print to the clipboard unless your using a util
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 27th October 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    But what the hell does the SysRq button do?
    Nothing.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysrq]System request - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Scroll lock still has use in Windows - check out what it does in Excel for example (hint: it locks the sheet so that you can scroll it up and down :-))

print screen will still print to a printer plugged into LPT1 if you're running DOS. Old people like me will remember that you used to have to load a program called "graphics" in DOS if you wanted to print more than text (not really graphics - just the bars and lines that make up squares etc)

Don't think sysrq has ever done anything on a DOS or Windows PC - I think it's a throwback to some IBM mainframes.

None of that is terribly useful info but many years of playing with a computer mean that I've learned it; it means that when another system does things differently I have to stop and work out what to do ("pagefault on knowledge"). I generally don't mind that (I like trying to find out how things work) but many (most?) people don't - they just want to use the system to get on Facebook, sync their iPod etc.

Is that wrong? Not really sure. An example that's often given is that computers should be like cars; if you've driven one car then you can probably drive another one and most people think that's a good thing but it stifles innovation. When Microsoft introduced Office 2007 which completely changed the menu structure there were howls of protest because many people couldn't work out how to use it.

I think that if you've got a computer which basically does what you want then you're not going to get anything from Ubuntu (or any other platform which is different from the one you now use). If you always want to be learning new things then Ubuntu (or any other etc etc) will be a "really good thing" :-)

Thank Post
    A bit off-topic perhaps, but.....
    I've been reading this thread for the last few days - from the viewpoint of someone who has always gone down the MS route whether it's qualifications, software or client / server OS etc.
    I've dabbled with Linux varients in the past and not liked what I saw, so just ignored it and carried on using MS everywhere! So, my first thought was that I would probably agree with the BBC reporter...

Well, I actually read the article today and realised it was pretty poor - some of the examples / reasoning given is pretty flimsy, so decided to go off and find out what all the fuss was about and installed Ubuntu Server one a spare station.

I spent part of this afternoon starting at the very basics (had to look up sudo commands!) but quickly got to my first task of getting Fog working - which was a bit clunky in places but fine in the end.
    I should admit that I decided I had to install gnome (which I know isn't the preferred way of working), which helped me a lot, but I have to say - I'm impressed! My outlook has definately changed and I will be looking to use Linux (or at least Ubuntu specifically) again in the future.

Infact, I'm now sat at home building Ubutu to replace my home server 2003 box which basically only ever did DNS, DHCP and file serving! So I've definately been (part) converted!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've used SysRq regularly with Linux for kernel debugging related issues. It is sometimes referred to as the 'magic key'.

Only issue was some of the key combos with it require each hand to have 9" long fingers to be able to press all the keys required.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post

Only issue was some of the key combos with it require each hand to have 9" long fingers to be able to press all the keys required.
    And why is that a problem?? :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    And why is that a problem?? :-)
    I've never known any regular joe ( person ) to have 9 fingers ( normally 8 fingers and 2 thumbs )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I've never known any regular joe ( person ) to have 9 fingers ( normally 8 fingers and 2 thumbs )
    Not 9 fingers but fingers 9 inches long :-)

For a very different article (also on the BBC web site) about Ubuntu, check out BBC NEWS | Technology | Ubuntu readies the Karmic Koala

Now just counting the days until I can download Ubuntu 9.10 and wondering if I should go back to running my media centre PC with MythTV (currently using Media Portal on Windows; it works well but life's more fun with variety in it)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,299 Times in 889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    The reference was not to the total number of fingers on each hand but rather the length of fingers on those hands [Read 9" as 9 Inch or 9 Inches]
    Last edited by DaveP; 27th October 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hey guys I think we all need to chill out a bit. Now we can sit at home and use linux, content that we use probably the best operating system out there, while the rest of the world just thinks were cheapskates. I mean if everyone used linux we wouldn't be special.

13. Thanks to llawwehttam from:

DaveP (27th October 2009)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,299 Times in 889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by llawwehttam View Post
    Hey guys I think we all need to chill out a bit. Now we can sit at home and use linux, content that we use probably the best operating system out there, while the rest of the world just thinks were cheapskates. I mean if everyone used linux we wouldn't be special.
    Nice post.

15. Thanks to DaveP from:

llawwehttam (27th October 2009)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Changing the subject ever so slightly - does anyone else find that advert of the bimbo in the taxi telling the world she's a PC and that she told Microsoft to create Windows 7 really really irritating?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Changing the subject ever so slightly - does anyone else find that advert of the bimbo in the taxi telling the world she's a PC and that she told Microsoft to create Windows 7 really really irritating?!
    All the Windows 7 adverts are incredibly irritating. Even more so than the other 'I'm a PC' adverts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast