+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How much space do you give teachers? in General; Ran a WinDirStat overnight as I noticed disk space was down to 19GB on the users drive, and it appears ...

Thank Post

How much space do you give teachers?

Ran a WinDirStat overnight as I noticed disk space was down to 19GB on the users drive, and it appears there are a number of teachers with well over 2GB of files, right up to 11.4GB (9.8 and 8.3 being the 2nd and 3rd)

Just space is getting pretty tight now, especially as I cant do anything major till half term

Do any of you limit the space teachers can use? Or just give them a friendly word when they go over a sensible limit?

Students are ok, I can delete rubbish from them, but teachers seem to believe its THEIR space and they can load as many GB of photos and music as they want

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

Re: How much space do you give teachers?

What does your AUP for staff say?

If you don't have one or it doesn't have anything in it about this then you need to go to SMT and ammend/create one then you can hit them over the head with it.

Ben

Thank Post

We do not limit any users as such, we give all teachers and staff unlimited quota. If we then (like i did yesterday) find 800meg of MP3's in 1 students account i manually add a one of quota to them and delete the MP3's.

Staff i just ask them nicely to remove anything they do not need. With storage being so cheap now i do not see the need to force quota's on everyone, just those that take the piss.

Thank Post

How much space do you give teachers?

A flippin' wide berth mate....

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts

I give the teachers who are not computer literate 100Mb which works out more than adequate and if they find they need more then i increase by 50Mb. Those teachers who have proved themselves trustworthy (because no matter how we look at it teachers will abuse the network more than the kids) i give them unlimited with the proviso that when i run an audit of user accounts if i find a teacher abusing his rights e.g mp3s, large bitmaps, etc i will put a cap on their account. Teachers are like magpies and pick up crap from all over their excuse is always "but i neeeeed it!" when you do an audit they have never used it since the day they copied it to their work area. How much does a teacher need. Kids at year 7 get 30Mb year 8 the same years 9,10 and 11 get 50Mb moving to 150Mb as coursework gets done in 20Mb increments.

Thank Post

Our teachers have unlimited space. We just reign them in if it gets to large.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

150mb for year 7 climbimg to 300mb by the end of the sixth form. Teachers 500mb - 2gb we do have a couple of staff who have 17gb and 25gb in their areas the 17gb is full of scans and photos but seeing as it's the art department this isn't surprising as for the latter thats mostly maths vdeos he's been converting to a useable format I believe. Mine however is somewhere in the region of 70gb mostly ISO files though lol.

Wes

Thank Post

I didn't have any limit on Staff from when we moved their areas to another server, but I've put it back this week as 1 teacher had 8Gb of music and 20Mb or work.
    They now all have 500Mb and the students all start with 100Mb. If someone comes to me having run out of space then I'll run Treesize on their space and see what's takign it up, if it's work I don't moan I just stick another 50Meg on, if it's just music or crap I tell them to go away and delete that first.
    I don't really have that many people need more space to be honest, and the less they have, the less to be virus infected.
    I agree that disk storage is cheap these days, however backup solutions are still very expensive.
    I do recommend everyone taking a look at the Treesize software though, very useful and cheap too. The fact I can limit it to certain file types is great and really scares the students when they see me drill down with extreme speed direct to their games!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There's also backup media capacity to take into consideration when dishing out unlimited quotas, hence our 100Mb initial limit.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    There's also backup media capacity to take into consideration when dishing out unlimited quotas, hence our 100Mb initial limit.
    I just have an old PC with big disks inside the PE building, everynight robo copy syncs everything up. So if the server died i could just redirect all the home dir paths to the server accross PE (or shares etc). So downtime would be next to nothing, if there is a fire the PE building is a seperate completly detached building so fire would not spread. Once every couple of months i do backup onto tape just for absoulute emergency.

For the backups of "i've deleted my work by accident" i just use Volume Shadow Copy, not only hassle free, but kids get the backups them selfs. No need for all these over priced and slow backup solutions. Cost of large SATA disks is peanuts.

Thank Post

We use a similar system here, we back up the curriculum network files onto a NAS which is mirrored.

Admin network backs up to tape on an Ultrium 3

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Backup is the costly thing, Ultrium 1 only holds 200GB compressed (and TBH compression and my luck don't always go well together) so when users have totaled 100GB its time to squash them down a bit. All users get 100 to start with and grow as needed, personally I am not up to 70GB yet, but its a good few GB of stuff, and I keep my music and a lot of stuff on my PC in the office deliberatly to save the file server.

Thank Post

Staff here get unlimited quota also.

The space is there so it might as well get used is my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Staff get 250MB each and students get 50MB. Increases are only done if they are really really needed. 99.9% of the time, those limits are more than adequate. Seeing a student with 3 10MB word documents in their user areas does not elicit any sympathy from me :P

We have plenty of space on the file server but backup capacity is more limited. It is not just the file server that needs to be included in these backups, it is also the email server, sharepoint, SQL, SIMS and Bromcom so when we were designing our backup strategy we deliberately set these limits.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast