View Poll Results: Are you going to watch?

Voters
73. This poll is closed
  • Yes

49 67.12%
  • No

24 32.88%
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Poll: BNP on Question Time in General; The whole thing was biased with everyone nit-picking, everyone berated without giving him ample chance to explain his situation. And ...
    Thank Post
    The whole thing was biased with everyone nit-picking, everyone berated without giving him ample chance to explain his situation.

And not a single member of the BNP audience was asked to comment or question. You could see at least one supporter.

Yes Labour and the Conservatives have failed immigration, and yes this pushes people toward the BNP on their firm stance of immigration.

And as highlighted by the Baroness; You don't have to be racist to join the BNP, just disgruntled enough with the current state of systems and lack of faith in the political world to want to fight for change.

Nick also clearly highlighted the dangers, and when he told that member of the audience why Islam is bad, I couldn't not laugh, he got it handed to him.

I do no support the BNP either, nor do I applaud Nick and his party, was a change to watch some half decent bantering.

Quote of the show:

Nick: My father served in WW2 to fight for this country, where as Mr Straw's father was in prison for refusing to fight.

2. 2 Thanks to ahuxham:

ICT_GUY (23rd October 2009), Simcfc73 (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    And a balanced audience? Lots of ethnic 'minorities' and the rest of them were token white people. Not only that, but the whites in the audience were either lefty 'right on' students, or toff middle England types who believe everything is tickittyboo because they are personally unaffected by mass immigration.

Why didn't they ask his policies on real topics such as the NHS, the economy etc anything which would PROVE he has no clue about actually running a country and would be useless if elected for anything?
    I've got no idea how they chose the audience but it wasnt too bad. Hardly surprising that a lot of black and asian people wanted to come and pose questions considering who was on there.
    Griffin also had a few supporters there plus there were a good few people directing their anger at Labour and Jack Straw rather than Griffin.

I agree that questions on things other than race would have made him look just as incompetent and come across less as an hour of Griffin bashing. The show was better than I thought, I was expecting heckling and him not being allowed to speak, but it did stay on predictable ground, however I would wager that was simply because the subjects the audience wanted to discuss involved race and immigration

To be fair, he did manage to get a bit of homophobia in at the end as well, so at least he diversified...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The whole programme was focused on things that we already know about Nick Griffin and the BNP; nothing was discussed on the concerns of those people which makes them vote for the BNP. It was just a character assassination.

And a balanced audience? Lots of ethnic 'minorities' and the rest of them were token white people. Not only that, but the whites in the audience were either lefty 'right on' students, or toff middle England types who believe everything is tickittyboo because they are personally unaffected by mass immigration.

Why didn't they ask his policies on real topics such as the NHS, the economy etc anything which would PROVE he has no clue about actually running a country and would be useless if elected for anything?
    I always thought tickets for BBC shows were given out on a 1st come 1st served basis? Seems pretty fair to me. And considering the BNP is a fringe party, having a poor turn out of his own supporters reflects this perfectly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Quote of the show:

Nick: My father served in WW2 to fight for this country, where as Mr Straw's father was in prison for refusing to fight.
    So your favourite quote of the show is an attack on a man due to the actions of his father? Why, may I ask?

Thank Post
    I didn't watch last night - may try tonight - but can I add:

Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    11 near me (1 very close).

Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Gosh. That a significant portion of this thread has nothing better to debate than whether word A is officially racist (According to who? Big Brother?) or not is interesting.
    The odd thing is that I'm pretty sure that a while ago Word A was the word to use as Word B contained "negative connotations".

Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    The fact you call multiculturalism an 'intellectually fashionable concept', speaks volumes.
    I can't really put what I thought the OP meant succinctly, but I didn't get the impression that s/he thought of multiculturalism in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Multiculturalism is good, so long as it also involves people realising that it doesn't mean people creating their own little 'sectors' of cities and refusing to integrate.
    Hear, hear.

Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Do you not think he says a majority of his stuff for comedic effect...
    No. Or does he secretly drive a small, economical, eco-friendly car rather than the over-powered phallic substitutes he promotes when in the public eye?

Thank Post
    And as highlighted by the Baroness; You don't have to be racist to join the BNP, just disgruntled enough with the current state of systems and lack of faith in the political world to want to fight for change.
    Yes, and that was discussed extensively. However it doesnt stop the party itself and its leader being incredibly racist and open to considerable criticism.

Nick also clearly highlighted the dangers, and when he told that member of the audience why Islam is bad, I couldn't not laugh, he got it handed to him.
    Yeah, hilarious
    Off the top of my head, he mentioned stoning as a punishment for adultary and that women are considered second class citizens. They apply to a few oppressive regimes I agree, but dont represent the views of every Muslim by a long stretch.
    In that vain, you could argue that Christianity is evil because of the way that extremists interpret the Bible. Which is equally rubbish.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Multiculturalism is good, so long as it also involves people realising that it doesn't mean people creating their own little 'sectors' of cities and refusing to integrate.
    What do you mean by their own little 'sectors'? A local mosque or temple to pray at, a few local shops that serves the needs of the community, a community center? Surely a multiculturial socioty is tollerant of all it's members views and religions and affords them a place to live, worship and be free as they wish to live their lives. I lived in the Eastend of London for nearly 10 years and never had a problem with little 'sectors' or cliques or minority militants or whatever. What I did meet was a lot of hard working brits of I different ethnicity, religious and racial background to mine who wanted nothing more than to live an honest life in this country. I went to a high school in Ilford where being white was the ethnic minority. I was proud to call meny shiks and muslims friends. Meny of these people are the salt of the earth. It's a shame we often confuse extremisim and extremists with the everyday members of any community. The irish protostent/cotholic situation as meny parrallels.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    I assume he's talking about ghettos or the no whites allowed zones that the papers talk about. I have no experience of these so can't comment if they actually exist in this country as you don't get many "non whites" in Wales and those that are tend to be fully integrated with good jobs. We mainly have Poles, Ukrainians and Lithuanians, who tend to be good people on the whole and the Polski Schleps are usually in areas with all the "normal British shops".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    What do you mean by their own little 'sectors'? A local mosque or temple to pray at, a few local shops that serves the needs of the community, a community center? Surely a multiculturial socioty is tollerant of all it's members views and religions and affords them a place to live, worship and be free as they wish to live their lives. I lived in the Eastend of London for nearly 10 years and never had a problem with little 'sectors' or cliques or minority militants or whatever. What I did meet was a lot of hard working brits of I different ethnicity, religious and racial background to mine who wanted nothing more than to live an honest life in this country. I went to a high school in Ilford where being white was the ethnic minority. I was proud to call meny shiks and muslims friends. Meny of these people are the salt of the earth. It's a shame we often confuse extremisim and extremists with the everyday members of any community. The irish protostent/cotholic situation as meny parrallels.
    I mean like we have a few situations in the country at the moment, where there are areas of a a city where a group of people who, say as an example, have migrated to the country from Iran, don't venture into other areas of the city, only speak their own existing language and don't partake in the normal life of the city. This is happening, and has been recognised as an issue by several cities (Manchester, Birmingham come to mind).

A mosque or temple etc is normal life - following religion is fine, it is part of everyday life, but so is learning the English language. Note also that this does not mean they shouldn't use their own languages! It is important to preserve their cultural heritage that they do do this - their children should be taught those languages too. But multiculturalism isn't just about having different cultures in isolation - it is about a merging of those cultures, them becoming part of British life, and British life becoming part of their culture. The UK is a brilliantly vibrant place for this, most of the time. We in general accept different cultures easily and quickly (look at the different foods we now commonly eat, the different music styles being used etc...), but at the same time, those migrating here should 'buy in' to our way of life also.

11. Thanks to localzuk from:

tmcd35 (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I live about a mile from Television Centre and I'd say that (in terms of colour) the audience represented pretty well the people you see on the streets of W12.

Your "toff middle England types" possibly believe everything is ticketyboo because mass immigration has provided the people who staff the hospitals, schools and colleges; drive the trains and buses; sweep the streets, run the shops and so on.

13. Thanks to srochford from:

timzim (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hmm I agree it was bit to bashing but then as someone said to certain degree the audience would dictate what was asked.

I did agree with women on the jobs for years the service industry has suffered from people not wanting the jobs until people from eastern block took those jobs on.

Russ

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    The big problem is how lazy a lot of people are along with the fact that for some families it works out better to be on benefits than to work for min wage

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I live about a mile from Television Centre and I'd say that (in terms of colour) the audience represented pretty well the people you see on the streets of W12.

Your "toff middle England types" possibly believe everything is ticketyboo because mass immigration has provided the people who staff the hospitals, schools and colleges; drive the trains and buses; sweep the streets, run the shops and so on.
    i think the term he was looking for was 'petite bourgeoisie'

and this left-of-centre, comfortably affluent demographic will indeed whack a tickety boo stamp on a lot of things becuase they do have access to housing, to capital, to cheap credit, to job security, and are beneficiaries of a good level of education and training. When you struggle more than you should do to obtain any of these at any point it actual highlights the serious failings of policy or these parts of the 'system'.

but some people just live in that bubble.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    No. Or does he secretly drive a small, economical, eco-friendly car rather than the over-powered phallic substitutes he promotes when in the public eye?
    How is what car he drives anything to do with race?

If I had his money, I think I'd drive a big phallic, especially if a company paid me to do it... or does not being green mean you agree with the BNP?
    Last edited by mossj; 23rd October 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    How is what car he drives anything to do with race?
    Nothing. You're the one that said the rubbish that comes out of Clarkson's mouth is said purely for effect; I pointed out one area where it's pretty likely that it isn't.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast