+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Stargate Universe in General; Man this series is annoying, Carlyle is coming across as a right prat and the rest aren't much better.... and ...

Thank Post

Stargate Universe

Man this series is annoying, Carlyle is coming across as a right prat and the rest aren't much better.... and nothing happens.

I can't see it getting another series if it doesn't improve, the first SG1 had o'Niel who was pretty funny (McGyver in space) and the blondie was, and still is, hot which made it watchable.

PEO
    Thank Post
    indeed

Thank Post
    I had no idea what the hell was going on when I watched the first episode... So I've consigned myself to watching S5 of Atlantis... Although I suspect I won't find an answer there too...

SG-1 was great, I liked that, Atlantis was ok, but I guess McKay just bugs me, Universe so far although the theory I think sounds good, most of the characters are annoying me too.

Jez

Thank Post
    I agree, its a bit dull and the acting is pretty poor. Even Carlyle is not at his best. I think the good writers went from lost to Fringe, the bad writers to Stargate Universe. Its a shame it could have been good, but 4 episodes in and who knows or cares where its going. argggghhhh

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the complete opposite, it is a good series. Carlyle's character is supposed to be one which on the surface appears to be self serving and arrogant, but underneath is caring and he doesn't seem to have any social skills - seems like a typical super-geek to me?

On the general storyline and acting, I would have to say it is as good as SG1 was when it started. The storylines in SG1 are relatively repetitive (ie. they go to another world, find there's a problem (either with them, or with the people there, get into a battle, then leave), with them not noticing very simple things (such as in the episode 'Hathor'... Giant sarcophagus turns up, empty, with the mark of Hathor on it, then random woman turns up claiming to be her yet they don't add 1+1 together...).

Sure, SG:U seems to be moving a little slowly, but I'm enjoying it. The stories make sense (ie. they're on a very old ship, of course things are going to be breaking, and running out of things).

Thank Post
    i'm still on the fence about SGU, i loved SG1 & Atlantis, but i just find this one dull and not very fast. if you get what i mean.

Thank Post
    I have been a big follower of the stargate franchise ever since the original film and i have bought into it in so much as I have all SG1, SG Atlantis, and the films on DVD and have really enjoyed them.

SGU started off well as far as laying the initial story of how they got to become where they are but it is starting to get a little worrying that it is going nowhere.

We are now onto episode 5, a third of the way through the season and we are non the wiser as to what is going on or the purpose other than "get home".

We have been to one planet, no other life forms have been encountered, and there is way to much infighting going on with Dr Rush (Carlyle) coming across a little like he is on his own mission and does not give a monkeys about any of the crew which we all know is not the case.

Either I have missed something or this is starting really slow.

Considering they have the same writers as they have had on previous SG's it is a little disapointing, i do hope it picks up soon.

Thank Post
    the first ep was gr8 e3 and 4 were a bit slow. i find it a lil similar to atlantis tho; in deep space, with no help on anchient ship, tho this one is old and buggered.

im gonna give it chance before i make my mind up tho. some characters are good some not so good. just wait til they find some cool tech! lol

i think i read somewhere that there isnt going to be any aliens or at least no bad guys as such the 'enemy' is the ship and lack of supplies.

we'll see eh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post

We have been to one planet, no other life forms have been encountered, and there is way to much infighting going on with Dr Rush (Carlyle) coming across a little like he is on his own mission and does not give a monkeys about any of the crew which we all know is not the case.
    Damnnit, just wrote a long eloquent post explaining various things and then remembered I am a couple of episodes ahead and it could all be a spoiler Which episode are we up to here?

EDIT: Ohh if you mentioned the planet then part is ok.

There has been the whirlwind type entity and the ship that dettached from the wing, I am sure they will both be explained later.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Damnnit, just wrote a long eloquent post explaining various things and then remembered I am a couple of episodes ahead and it could all be a spoiler Which episode are we up to here?

EDIT: Ohh if you mentioned the planet then part is ok.

There has been the whirlwind type entity and the ship that dettached from the wing, I am sure they will both be explained later.
    Just had Darkness. Ship now flying into a star.
    Last edited by JJonas; 22nd October 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Ohhh cool, actually not really behind at all.

I think it is going slow but will pick up & as for Carlyle I think Localzuk has it, he is a geek, lacking in social skills & as they showed in Darkness having withdrawal sympotoms from nicotine & caffine! I don't think it has been highlighted well so there is confusion over wether he is a coward, trying to take over, or has some ulterior motive. Maybe there will be a big set piece or a flashback moment that will set some of the background & make it clearer.

Thank Post
    Only seen the first 3: a great premise ruined by poor writing and unlikable characters.

Eps 1 and 2 were OK, though I'm wondering just why everything has to start in media res; the episode(s) would have been just as good, if not better, told in linear fashion. Is the audience really that attention deficit? If it is, they'd have walked in Ep 3 - the sort of dull filler that most series only need to resort to when running out of ideas.

Thank Post
    I have not been impressed with it so far, but loved SG1, took a while to get into SG:A but now love it. Hope SG:U turns up a notch pretty soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information